TYPE OF APPLICATION (X all that apply)
APPLICATION FOR U.S. GOVERNMENT Form Approved
GOVERNMENT BILL(S) OF LADING
SHIPPING DOCUMENTATION/INSTRUCTIONS OMB No. 0704-0250
DOMESTIC ROUTE ORDER
(See Instructions and Legend on back before completion) Expires Dec 31, 1999
EXPORT OR FMS SHIPMENT
The public reporting burden for this collection of information is estimated to average 15 minutes per response, including the time for reviewing instructions, searching existing data sources, gathering
and maintaining the data needed, and completing and reviewing the collection of information. Send comments regarding this burden estimate or any other aspect of this collection of information,
including suggestions for reducing the burden, to Department of Defense, Washington Headquarters Services, Directorate for Information Operations and Reports (0704-0250), 1215 Jefferson Davis
Highway, Suite 1204, Arlington, VA 22202-4302. Respondents should be aware that notwithstanding any other provision of law, no person shall be subject to any penalty for failing to comply with a
collection of information if it does not display a currently valid OMB control number.
PLEASE DO NOT RETURN YOUR COMPLETED FORM TO THIS ADDRESS. SEND YOUR COMPLETED FORM TO THE APPROPRIATE TRANSPORTATION OFFICE.
1. TO (Name and Address of Transportation Officer 2. AGENCY ID NO. 4. FROM (Name and Address of Contractor) (Include
providing shipping instructions) (Include ZIP Code) ZIP Code)
5. DESTINATION (Name and Address) (Include ZIP Code) 6. SPLC (Destination) 8. ORIGIN (Name and Address) (Include ZIP Code)
7. SPLC (Origin)
9. CONSIGNEE (Name and Address) (Include ZIP Code) 10. DODAAC 12. SHIPPER (Name and Address) (Include ZIP Code)
11. CAGE CODE
13. MARKS AND ANNOTATIONS 14. DATE SHIPMENT 15. REQ. DATE AT DESTI- 16. TP
AVAILABLE (YYYYMMDD) NATION (YYYYMMDD)
17. IF CARLOAD OR TRUCKLOAD, INDICATE TYPE AND SIZE 18. SPECIAL ROUTING CONDITIONS
REQUIRED FOR EACH
19. RAIL CARRIER SERVING c. PRIVATE SIDING (X if applicable or indicate nearest point of delivery)
a. CONSIGNOR SCAC SPLC
b. CONSIGNEE SCAC SPLC
20. HAZARDOUS MATERIALS (X and complete as applicable)
a. THIS SHIPMENT DOES NOT CONTAIN INITIALS b. THIS SHIPMENT CONTAINS HAZARDOUS MATERIAL.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL. (1) PSN (2) UN/NA No.
21. CONTAINER AND COMMODITY DATA
UNITS PKG/COS DESCRIPTION OF COMMODITY WT. PER CUBE PER
PER c. (NSN No., Freight classification including UFC/NMFC Item No.) PKG/COS PKG/COS
PKG/COS (For all package sizes show dimensions in INCHES.) (Pounds) (Feet)
b. (1) NO. (2) TYPE d. e. f.
22. CONTRACT (PII) NUMBER 23. FOB CONTRACT TERMS 24. FOB POINT (City and State)
a. TYPED OR PRINTED NAME (Last, First, b. TELEPHONE NO./EXTEN- c. SIGNATURE d. DATE SIGNED
Middle Initial) SION (Include Area Code) (YYYYMMDD)
DD FORM 1659, JAN 1997 (EG) PREVIOUS EDITION MAY BE USED. LOCAL REPRODUCTION AUTHORIZED. Designed using Perform Pro,
WHS/DIOR, Jan 97
To be completed by Transportation Officer
27. CARRIER(S) OR ROUTING(S) 28. TARIFF OR TENDER NO. 29. ROUTE ORDER/RELEASE NO.
30. TRANSPORTATION FUNDS
31. FREIGHT RATE SPECIALIST
a. SIGNATURE b. TELEPHONE NO. (Include c. DATE SIGNED (YYYYMMDD)
CAGE Contractor and Government Entity IPG Issue Priority Group TP Transportation Priority
CONUS Continental United States NSN National Stock Number UN/NA United Nations/North America
COS Containers PII Procurement Instrument Identification UFC/NMFC Uniform Freight Classification/
DODAAC DoD Activity Address Code POE Point of Embarkation National Motor Freight
FAS Free Alongside PSN Proper Shipping Name Classification
FMS Foreign Military Sales SCAC Standard Carrier Alpha Code
FOB Free On Board SPLC Standard Point Location Code
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETION OF DD FORM 1659
to the Transportation Office of the contract administering office.
This form will be used to obtain: (a) Government Bills of Lading Applications must be submitted 15 days in advance for FMS shipments.
under FOB origin contracts, (b) a Domestic Route Order under FOB
origin contracts, (c) an Export Traffic Release regardless of FOB To avoid excess cost, do not order or load carrier’s equipment until
terms, or (d) FMS shipment instructions, in compliance with DoD routing instructions are received.
regulations and procedures. Prepare separate forms for each
contract/purchase order or destination. Export shipments require marking in accordance with MIL-STD-129,
"Marking for Shipment and Storage." Markings should not be applied
To ensure that shipments are accomplished in accordance with until complete and accurate shipment information has been provided by
contract delivery schedule, application(s) should be submitted in the Transportation Office.
duplicate, at least 10 days in advance of actual shipping date,
Items 1, 3, 4, 24, 25, and 27 through 31 are self-explanatory.
2. Leave blank. The transportation office will complete if 15. Enter a date only when specific instructions indicate the shipment
necessary. must be delivered on or before that date.
5. Enter the city, town or point, state and ZIP Code, according to 16. Indicate the TP or the IPG for the shipment as stated in the
the shipping mode when the destination is located in CONUS. contract or shipping instructions. If not available, leave blank.
Show the address found in the contract if the destination is
overseas. Identify a water terminal only when the contract terms 17. Enter type and size of equipment needed to accommodate a full
are FOB/FAS Port. load.
6. Specify the SPLC, if known, for the CONUS destination shown 18. Enter any special handling or protective instructions required for
in Item 5. Leave blank for overseas destinations. hazardous, sensitive, or classified material, temperature limitatons,
fragility, etc. FOR TRANSPORTATION OFFICES: Add transit
7. Enter the SPLC for the origin point in Item 8. information for a route order request, if appropriate.
8. Designate the actual location where shipment will be tendered to 19. Show the rail carrier including the SCAC serving the origin point.
a carrier. FOR TRANSPORTATION OFFICES: Complete consignee
information when applicable.
9. Enter the name and address of the ultimate consignee shown in
the contract. Do not show a POE. 20. The appropriate statement MUST be marked. If shipment contains
hazardous material, enter PSN in accordance with 49 CFR, Section
10. Record the 6-digit DoDAAC assigned to the ultimate consignee 172.101 and UN/NA number(s).
as found in the contract. The DoDAAC should be identical to the
one which will be recorded in Item 13, DD Form 250. 21. Enter data as described. Totals in line g. must describe entire
shipment. Include unit of packaging in column b.; e.g., "30/COS." Be
11. Annotate the CAGE Code assigned to the actual shipper. sure to state dimensions in INCHES.
Show the CAGE Code for a packaging facility if the shipment will
be tendered at that location. 22. Enter the PII number. Specify also the delivery order number
when added to the basic contract or the shipping authority when
12. Enter the name of the actual shipper, prime or subcontractor as different than the contract.
appropriate, and address if different from Item 8.
23. Indicate the FOB term (origin, destination, etc.) as stated in the
13. Identify data shown in the contract which affects marking, contract.
transportation, delivery, and export of packages or shipping
containers. 26. Record necessary data not otherwise shown. If the application
covers multiple shipments, specify the number of the shipments, total
14. Specify the earliest date your shipment can be tendered to a weight and cube for each shipment, transportation priority, and dates
carrier. shipments will be available.
DD FORM 1659 (BACK), JAN 1997