THE STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT / THE UNIVERSITY OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK / ALBANY, NY 12234
Office for Elementary, Middle, Secondary and Continuing Education
Office of Bilingual Education and Foreign Language Studies
89 Washington Avenue, Room 367 EBA 116 West 32nd Street, 7th Floor
Albany, NY 12234 New York, NY 10001
Tel. 518-474-8775 Tel. 212-695-1510
Fax 518-473-4678 Fax 212-643-0734
To: Daniella Phillips, Superintendent Date: February 26, 2010
NYCDOE District 1
Maria Broughton, ELL Compliance Performance Specialist
From: Pedro J. Ruiz, Ph. D., Coordinator, NYSED OBE-FLS
Subject: 2008-2009 CR Part 154 Comprehensive Plan and Data Reports
2009-2010 NCLB Title III Part A Application
2009-2010 NYC Language Allocation Policy Plans
Thank you for submitting your federal, state and city reports/plans outlined above on the education of limited English
proficient/English language learners, LEP/ELLs. This is the first year our office has reviewed the NYC Language
Allocation Policy Plans (LAPs). To provide consistency regarding compliance issues over the years, we are also using
the 2007-08 Part 154 review letters to ensure that those concerns have been addressed.
Information about your district obtained during the data review process is reported in the attached pages, as follows:
• Overview and summary of the most salient compliance issues in your district
• Individual schools’ compliance reports
District and individual school reports/plans will soon be posted on the following NYSED website:
Your district/schools reports/plans will not be approved until the compliance issues are fully addressed. Please submit
your response or on before March 29, 2010 to the following NYC address:
NYC REGIONAL OFFICE
116 West 32nd Street, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10001
ATT: CR Part 154 Review
Re: DISTRICT # 1
If you have any questions, please contact:
Contact Name: Bernice Moro, Ph.D.
Title DIRECTOR, M/SI Regional BETAC
Telephone: (212) 772-4767
Fax: (212) 650-3815
Daniella Phillips, SUPERINTENDENT DISTRICT 1
SUMMARY OF DISTRICT DATA
INFORMATION 2008-2009 2007-2008
Yes / No
• Total # of Schools in the District (with or without LEP/ELLs) 30
• Total # of LEP/ELLs Identified 1491
• Total # of LEP/ELLs Served 1377
• Total # of GENERAL ED LEP/ELLs Identified 1333
• Total # of General Ed LEP/ELLs NOT Served 22
• Total # of SPECIAL ED LEP/ELLs Identified 158
• Total # of SPECIAL ED LEP/ELLs NOT Served 92
• Total # of LEP/ELLs served in ESL-only programs who should be in a 144
bilingual education program, including ESL
• Total # of Long-Term LEP/ELLs 165
• Total # of UNCERTIFIED ESL Teachers 2
• Total # of UNCERTIFIED BILINGUAL EDUCATION Teachers 0
• Total # of Requests of Extension of Services
• Total # of Schools that have Extension of Services DEFERRED due to 6
insufficient or lack of information on the intervention of services provided to the
Language Allocation Policy 2009-2010
• Total # of Schools that submitted a copy of the 2009-2010 LAP 8
• Total # of Schools that DID NOT SUBMIT a copy of the 2009-2010 LAP 6 (16 inc)
SUMMARY OF MAJOR COMPLIANCE ISSUES IN YOUR DISTRICT
• A number of LEP\ELL students are not receiving mandated services.
• A number of LEP\ELL students entitled to bilingual education are being provided ESL services only.
• A number of identified special education LEP/ELLs students are not being served.
• A high percentage of Long Term LEP/ELLs, but the available LAP reports do not clearly reflect that ESL
services are being provided to these students.
• A number/some schools have uncertified teachers providing instruction in bilingual education programs to
• A number of uncertified teachers providing instruction in ESL to LEP/ELLs.
• Schools did not submit the “Request for Extension of Services”, CR Part 154 (A-7).
• Information on the interventions to assist LEP\ELL students listed on CR Part 154 (A-7) is missing.
• The interventions to assist LEP\ELL students listed on CR Part 154 (A-7.1) require additional information.
• Schools did not submit the required sections of the LAP.
• LAP data and/or program narratives require additional information.
C: Laura Rodriguez
2 of 2