General Guidelines for the
2009–2010 MTNA Student Competitions
New This Year!!!
• Junior Brass competition has been discontinued.
• Piano concerto requirement for Senior and Young Artist levels has been discontinued.
• Performance times have been modified.
• Accompanist fees have been adjusted.
Application deadline is 12:00 MIDNIGHT on September 15, 2009.
PERFORMANCE COMPETITIONS will allow the teacher to enter one or more students into
Junior Performance the various MTNA competitions, provided all other eligi-
• Age: 11–14 as of January 1, 2010 bility requirements are met. Nonmembers may enter stu-
• Competitions: Piano, String and Woodwind dents either (1) in the state where the student has
• Entry Fee: $80 permanent residence or (2) in the state where the instruc-
tion takes place. Nonmember fees must be paid on or
Senior Performance before September 15, 2009.
• Age: 15–18 as of January 1, 2010
• Competitions: Brass, Piano, Piano Duet (one piano/four TEACHER ELIGIBILITY
hands) String, Voice and Woodwind • The teacher listed on the application is the teacher of
• Entry Fee: $110 record and cannot be changed during the competition
year. In the event the student changes teachers during
Young Artist Performance the competition year, both teachers, past and present,
• Age: 19–26 as of January 1, 2010 will be listed as the teachers of record. Any exception is
• Competitions: Brass, Piano, String, Voice and Woodwind at the sole discretion of the MTNA Director of
• Entry Fee: $120 Competitions in consultation with the Competitions
Committee, but in no event will the student be disquali-
Chamber Music Performance fied as a result of a teacher change.
• Age: Average age of ensemble members must be 18–26 • The teacher and the student may not be the same indi-
as of January 1, 2010 vidual.
• Ensemble size: 3–6 players
• Ensemble instrumentation: any combination of brass, STATE TEACHER FEES
piano, string and wind instruments. Ensembles with piano • Some states may charge teacher fees for entrants in the
only are not permitted. MTNA competitions. It is the responsibility of the state to
• Entry Fee: $120 contact the teacher regarding any state-assessed teacher fees.
• The National Finals of the competitions are sched-
uled for March 20–24, 2010, in Albuquerque, New ENTRANT INFORMATION
Mexico. For a complete list of State and Division • A student may enter the competitions in only one state.
Competition dates and locations, consult the MTNA • An entrant may enter only once in any category (Brass,
website at www.mtna.org. Piano, Senior Piano Duet, String, Voice, Woodwind,
MTNA MEMBER TEACHERS • Competition financial obligations are the responsibility of
• Current active membership dues for MTNA must be paid the entrant.
on or before Au