PRELIMINARY DRAFT AGENDA - DOC
Shared by: bullsonparade
ALCTS Cataloging & Classification Section Executive Committee ALA 2005 Annual Meeting, Chicago AGENDA Session 1: Friday, June 24, 2004, 8-10 PM Palmer House, LaSalle 2 Members in attendance: Sara Shatford Layne, Chair Ann Caldwell, Secretary Cynthia M. Whitacre, Chair-elect Karen Hsu, Member-at-large Jennifer Bowen, Past Chair Mary Charles Lasater, Member-at-large Marty Kurth, Member-at-large Beth P. Camden, Member-at-large Glenn Patton, Member-at-large Guests: Mary L. Larsgaard, CC:DA Chair Rebecca Mugridge, Budget & Finance Liaison Christine De Zelar-Tiedman, CETRC Chair Matthew Beacom, observer Shi Deng, CC:AAM Chair Diane Dates Casey, Policy & Planning Chair Jim Agenbroad, observer Bob Maxwell, TF for Name Authority Training Chair Bob Lesh, observer from CC:AAM Norm Medeiros, RPC Chair David Miller, ALCTS Rep. to IFLA Lori Robare, CCS Rep. to ALCTS Program Committee Bruce Trumble, SAC Chair Julianne Beall, observer Rachel Wadham, Series TF Oksana Kraus, Cataloging Correctly for Kids NOTE: Items designated by a double asterisk (**) are CCS action items that should be added to the ALCTS Tactical Plan 1.1 Introductions Members and guests introduced themselves 2 1.2 Other Preliminaries 1.2.1 Adoption of Agenda The Executive Committee approved the agenda. Move to approve: Mary Charles Lasater; seconded: Beth Camden; approved. 1.2.2 Confirmation of Electronic Votes The Executive Committee confirmed the single vote conducted via e-mail in the months since Midwinter: 1. CETRC training for catalogers. Moved to approve: Glenn Patton; seconded: Jennifer Bowen. Votes to approve: 8 1.2.3 Approval of Midwinter 2005 minutes There was one correction in the Midwinter minutes. Section 3.5.5, Organization and Bylaws, should read “Mary Charles Lasater reported for Paul Weiss …” 1.3 Announcements 1.3.1 Election Result ALCTS section election results were announced: Bruce Johnson: President Elect Diane Dates Casey: Division Counselor Diana Giambi: Director-at-Large David Miller: Chair Elect Mary Woodley, Gary Strawn: Members-at-Large 1.3.2 ALCTS Board Actions: 126.96.36.199 Approved: Guidelines for Standardized Cataloging For Children The chapters of Cataloging Correctly for Kids that have been submitted have been approved. 188.8.131.52 Approved: CC:DA Representatives report The report on representation to CC:DA has been approved by the ALCTS Board. 1.4 JSC Representative Report, pt. 1 Jennifer Bowen reported that she has already submitted a full report as well as an executive summary of the spring JSC meeting. The group is taking a different direction with a more progressive approach and will produce a document that is more attractive to 3 metadata communities. In April JSC met on its own and with the Committee of Principles. They agreed to change their schedule and work plan. The new document will be called Resource Description and Access (RDA) and will be a content standard; the ISBDs will deal with display issues which have become less important in the arena of OPACs. JSC also identified a larger group of stakeholders to consult with and the need to do more aggressive public relations. A project manager will be hired to assist with this. RDA is being conceived of as a web product. A prospectus will be released later in the summer. Sara asked whether there is a CCS-Exec role. Jennifer replied that there needs to be more conversation among the different groups involved. There are other people in ALA that aren’t represented that need to be heard from. The ALCTS board needs to be informed of what’s happening. Although Jennifer is speaking directly to them this year, this isn’t always the case. The Board can also assist with PR. Jennifer emphasized the mechanism that is already in place for getting comments to the JSC through representatives. JSC cannot handle comments from everyone. 1.5 Chair report and Tactical Planning Session **Diane Date Casey led a review of CCS items in the ALCTS Tactical Plan. Items reviewed were: 1.2.8, Publish revised edition of Cataloging Correctly for Kids, June 2005. A draft is at ALCTS publishing; a review will occur over the next few weeks, then hopefully it will be approved. Leave date as is. 1.2.236, Add Basic Cataloging Guidelines for AACR2 to either Chapter 1 or 21, withdraw. 1.2.277, Cataloging Children’s Materials web portal, RPC has returned the first section with changes; the second section has just been received; the third section has not yet been received; Norm Medeiros will get a new date for this; 1.2.313, Provide feedback to OCLC FAST Program, change to on schedule, Jan. 2007. 2.1.266, Develop a Cataloger Recruitment Tool Kit, change to Dec. 2005. 3.3.238, Publish papers and handouts from Knowledge without Boundaries Preconference, this is going ahead in the Paper series, Oct. 2005; change to on schedule. 3.3.261, Publish Spanish-speaking User and Subject Analysis Program Papers, move to Feb. 2006. 3.3.264, Named Buildings and Other Structures Report, change to completed. 3.5.285, Develop standardized training materials on title and name authorities, change to completed. 3.5.314, Maintain training materials with PCC, change to on schedule. 4.2.265, Publish article about mentoring program, “Growing Our Own” by committee members in LRTS, change to Sept. 2005. 4.2.286, Provide a presence at the SPECTRUM Institute, change to completed. 4.2.287, Participate in the revision of ALCTS Educational Policy Statement, change to on schedule. 4.2.288, Revise web document, “Training Catalogers in the Electronic Era”, completed July 2005. 6.1.289, Present CCS Members Forums for feedback on new ALCTS Strategic Plan, completed. 6.5.315. Evaluate CC:DA liaisons, completed. [TP numbers below refer to the ALCTS Tactical Plan] 1.6 Programs 4 1.6.1 Preconference: Name and Title Authority Work (TP 3.3.262 ) Bob Maxwell reported that the preconference was completed today and was successful. He couldn’t tell how many people attended because of the registration method but there were at least 100 people at any one time and he ran out of manuals. The group was very enthusiastic. Some of the materials will be revised and there will be a train-the-trainer session in September at the Library of Congress. 1.6.2 Program: Cataloging for School Librarians to be discussed later in meeting (with 1.7.8) 1.6.3 Program: AACR3: The Next Big Thing in Cataloging (TP 3.3.280) Matthew Beacom reported that this program will be held on Sunday morning. The presentations are available online already (ALCTS made the presentations available as PDFs). 1.6.4 Program: MODS and Metadata Interoperability (TP 3.3.284) Jennifer Bowen reported that this program will be held Monday afternoon and there will be five speakers, including two from CCS Exec. 1.6.5 Program: Cataloguing Cultural Objects (TP 3.3.281) Matthew Beacom reported that this program will be held Saturday morning; everything is on track and the Power Points are online 1.6.6 Program (co-sponsor): Getting published (TP 3.3.317) Norm Medeiros reported that the program “Why Johnnie and Jane can’t get published” will be held Sunday from1:30-5:30. It is Part 2 of a conference held in Toronto. 1.7 Future program planning: 2006-2007 1.7.1 Program: LC Classification Workshop w/PCC (TP 3.3.283) Lori Robare reported that this workshop will follow the model of previous ones and be one session from a full workshop. She doesn’t know at this point which session will be presented and needs to confirm the choice of time. 1.7.2 Program: Series Workshop w/PCC **Rachel Wadham reported that this workshop will also follow the some pattern and will be held Saturday afternoon. She is concerned about the modular approach to these sessions since the format won’t work well with this sort of training which depends on people following a certain path of sessions that build on each other. Certain classes could 5 be designed so that people could drop in and out. The lead body for the program is CCS- Exec and the PCC. One section is designed to aid copy catalogers in assessing records and one is for people who create authority records. Sara also wanted to see a public service aspect to it as well. Rachel replied that this would be in the first section and would cover decisions and implications of record creation in the OPAC. 1.7.3 Program: CCAAM program on PCC participation by area studies librarians--(TP 2.1.318) Bob Lesh reported on a program on PCC participation for area studies librarians to be held in June 2006 and sponsored by CC:AAM. PCC has agreed to co-sponsor it. The program would be interactive with four speakers and a strong moderator and is aimed at non-PCC participants. Saturday or Sunday morning are preferred times. 1.7.4 Program/Preconference: CETRC program on Catalogers (TP 2.1.319) Christine DeZelar-Tiedman reported on a proposed program/preconference “So you want to be a Cataloger—Competencies for the 21st Century”. There was some concern about this program: the title didn’t seem to match with the stated audience; it was similar to an ALCTS/ALISE TF at midwinter; the speakers didn’t seem appropriate to the stated level of the audience;and much of the material has already been covered. CCS Exec felt that CETRC may want to focus the program more or change the date to 2007. 1.7.5 Preconference: CCO Workshop--(TP ???) **Matthew Beacom reported that this preconference, “CCO Book Camp” is modeled on the Visual Resources Association (VRA) workshops and will build on tomorrow’s program. It will not be as thorough as the training programs that have already occurred but will provide good start and be more interactive than the program. Participants will be able to apply the rules in a controlled setting. CCS-Exec will be the sponsor and the contact person is Sara Shatford Layne. The co-sponsor is the Networked Resources and Metadata Interest Group, and tentatively, CC:DA, VRA, and the ALA/SAA/AAM Joint Committee. VRA wants to develop a set of workshops to hold at their meetings as well. These would be one-day workshop with some hands-on practice; Matthew will form a group to work on the 2006 preconference. This will also become an ALA publication 1.7.6 Program: Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (Books): joint program with RBMS—(TP 3.3.282) Mary Larsgaard reported on this program to be held in June 2007. CC:DA received an invitation to review a draft of DCRB. Mary will talk with RBMS about the relationship of this to RDA as well as the timeline since other demands on CC:DA may prevent them from forming a task force at this point. 6 1.7.7 Program: SAC Subcommittee on FAST—(TP ???) **Bruce Trumble reported on “FAST: A New System of Subject Access for Cataloging and Metadata.” This will be a two-hour program with four speakers. The speakers will provide background on what FAST is and results of some user studies. At present there are some problems with scheduling conflicts. 1.7.8 Preconference: Cataloging Correctly For Kids--(TP 2.1.235) Oksana Kraus reported that the program “Cataloging for School Librarians: It’s Child’s Play! Or Is it?” will be held on Sunday. The Cataloging of Children’s Materials Committee is working on two publications. The first, the 4th edition of Cataloging Correctly for Kids will be the basis of a preconference next year titled “Tools of our trade: Cataloging Correctly for Kids”. The second is a web publication consisting of web resources for cataloging children’s materials. The committee is planning a half-day preconference for 2006 on Friday morning (a 3- hour time slot). Topics covered would include guidelines for standardized cataloging for children, how children search, etc. The price for the half-preconference would be affordable for school librarians and media specialists. Lori reminded her that there are some 4 hour program spots. There were questions as to what distinguishes this preconference from a program. 1.8 Publication Issues 1.8.1 Report from CCS Rep. to ALCTS Publications Norm Medeiros reported that the paper series is expecting four publications in the next six months. These include: “From Catalog to Gateway: Charting the Course for Future Access”, “Knowledge without Boundaries: Organizing Information for the Future”, “Community, Collaboration and Collections: The Writing of Ross Atkinson”, and “Managing Electronic Resources: Contemporary Problems and Emerging Issues.” Three publication proposals have been approved. These are “Putting the Digital Puzzle Together: Creating a Digital Project”, “Serials Acquisitions Glossary (1992 ed.) with Supplement (2005 ed.)”, and “Guidelines for Managing Microforms in the Digital Age” 1.8.2 Research & Publications Committee/LRTS Editorial Board (including RPC essays) Norm Medeiros reported that LRTS continues to improve. There were 47 papers submitted and electronic submission continues to grow in favor. There are up-to-date tables-of-contents and book covers on the LRTS website. 7 The Board discussed the RPC essays. It was noted that there were some typos and the formatting of citations is different. Norm said he would correct the typos. Norm’s term has ended. Magda El Sherbini is incoming chair. 1.8.3 CETRC training document This document was approved via e-mail Executive session 1.9 Committee appointments 1.10 Other issues The Executive Committee discussed committee appointments and other issues. Session 2: Sunday, June 26, 2005, 9:30-12:00 Palmer House, LaSalle 2 Members in attendance: Sara Shatford Layne, Chair Ann Caldwell, Secretary Cynthia Whitacre, Chair-Elect Glenn Patton, Member-at-Large Beth P. Camden, Member-at-Large Mary Charles Lasater, Member-at-Large Karen Hus, Member-at-Large Marty Kurth, Member-at-Large Guests: Rebecca Mugridge, CCS Liaison to Budget & Finance Bhagirathi Subrahmanyam, CCS Liaison to Education Committee Charles Wilt, ALCTS Executive Director Carol P. Diedrichs, ALCTS President Rosann Bazirjian, ALCTS President-Elect Lori Robare, CCS Rep to ALCTS Program Committee 2.1 Introductions Members and guests introduced themselves 2.2 Announcements 8 Ann Caldwell announced that ALCTS would be undergoing a website redesign. She will be representing CCS on the committee that has been formed. In addition online communities will be used as a communication mechanism to replace listservs Rebecca Mugridge announced that Budget & Finance is investigating reduced membership dues for retirees but they need further information on the number of retirees and those who are about to retire. 2.3 ALA 2006 schedule: implementation Sara will talk with the ALCTS board about the new schedule. The various CCS committees need to decide when they want to meet. She suggested making a grid similar to the one Charles did to aid the various committees (and Cynthia) in planning. CCS- Exec needs to meet around the ALCTS board meeting. Since the ALCTS Board meets on Saturday it is important to cover certain things on Friday night. The Sunday meeting will also take some coordination because of the all-sections meeting. The Tuesday meeting needs to finish before ALCTS Board meeting The ALCTS president and president-elect and the executive committee of ALCTS has approved the recommendations of the 5.1 Task Force of the LC action plan chaired by Karen Calhoun on establishing a clearinghouse on library education. A first step would be to establish an advisory board to manage the clearinghouse. A representative from CETRC is needed. Cynthia will check on the timeline for this. Suggestions should be forwarded to Cynthia. 2.4 CC:DA Representatives Marty Kurth reported that since the CCS Executive Board has already approved the report the big issue at this point is implementation 2.5 Value of Catalogers Beth Camden reported on the statement on the value of catalogers. She didn’t feel that the document was in a final state yet. She had gotten some feedback about the use of the word “professional” and clarified that this document is referring to MLS catalogers. A suggestion was made to change the order of bullets to express the primary purpose to be the vision of bibliographic control, not the creation of individual catalog records and to extend the boundary beyond the catalog. Her inclusion of collaboration and customer service was praised, as was her ability to keep jargon to a minimum and the inclusion of standards. 2.6 Programming Issues Lori Robare reported that 14 program proposals came to her before ALA (she has not yet received anything from the Acquisitions Section) and there will probably be more coming. She feels this is a result of the improved website, the materials that go out to 9 program planners, and the new guide for planners from the ALCTS office that includes such information as the policy on handouts, information on fundraising, etc. Budget-wise, the preconferences went well; the authorities preconference paid for several others. The modular approach was successful from a budgetary approach. Every preconference doesn’t have to be in the modular format and planners should make it clear from the beginning what fits into that structure and what doesn’t and make use of prerequisites. Some modules could be repeated. Lori gave a tentative schedule for the upcoming programs. There are no programs on Monday since there is a general ALCTS no conflict time from 3:30-5:30 The Program Committee is also working on an ALCTS forum before the President’s Program. This would be something along the lines of LITA’s top technology trends and would include late-breaking information, trends in technical services and an opportunity to react to recent developments. The deadline for final information for programs is earlier than usual—September. This is an ALA, not ALCTS, deadline. Lori would like to put together some materials on program planning within CCS. The section gets favorable comments from the Program Committee for having good ideas and being well prepared. 2.7 Education Issues Bhagirathi Subrahmanyam reported on foundation courses for support staff. There are six courses planned and there is some urgency to develop them. They would be based on the Fundamentals of Acquisitions course. Each subcommittee will develop a topic and the courses will go through the Education Committee in collaboration with the Program and Publication Committees. A program, publication and course would come at the end of this and course developers would be paid. An example would be “Cataloging Correctly for Kids”. This tri-part entity could start at any point; e.g., a program could turn into a course, then into a publication, etc. The course could be web-based or face-to-face or a combination and the course could also be done regionally. There would be less collaboration with PCC/LC for the courses. There was some question about the nature of the fundamentals of cataloging course—would it be fundamentals of descriptive cataloging? In response, Bhagirathi said it would be important to identify the needs of support staff. Julie has a number of survey instruments she would share. There are also plans for an open discussion list and a call for libraries that would be willing to be sites for this. 2.8 CCS Exec Committee review Mary Charles Lasater led a discussion of the CCS Executive Committee review. The Policy and Planning Committee (PPC) agreed to a change in the charge. In response to 10 question 9, “What changes to you recommend for this committee?” PPC agreed with the suggestion that roles should be developed for members-at-large. The suggestion that communication be strengthened between discussion groups and CCS-Exec was not as well-received so that idea was dropped although it was agreed that the discussion groups should have a web presence and be kept up-to-date. In the charge, “association” will be change to “ALCTS’s” and a parenthetical with “ALCTS” will be added after the first mention of Association for Library Collections & Technical Services. Moved to approve: Beth Camden; seconded: Marty Kurth; motion: passed. CCS Nominating Committee review (for Mary Dabney Wilson) The Committee discussed the existing change for the CCS Nominating Committee. The current charge refers to “Bylaws, Article X, Section 6 (2) (a)” It was not clear what this was. There was also confusion about the number of members on the committee since it has had five, not four, members for many years. 2.9 ARLIS liaison to SAC ARLIS would like to have a formal liaison to SAC; Bruce Trumble has drafted a letter to be sent to the ARLIS Cataloging Advisory Committee inviting them to appoint someone. There was a discussion about whether or not there is a policy on liaisons to SAC since there are already several. CCS-Exec will ask SAC to draft a policy on liaisons and representatives. Motion to approve: Cynthia Whitacre; seconded: Glenn Patton; motion passed. 2.10 Chair report 2.10.1 ALCTS Board of Directors Sara discussed the Council Resolution concerning intellectual access to non-Roman resources. Bruce Johnson will attempt to get it not made as a resolution since Council isn’t the place for these types of resolutions; they belong to ALCTS. This has been delegated to ALCTS, specifically CCS. ALCTS is currently interviewing for ANO editor and may have decision soon. Janet Swan Hill spoke about need to get involved outside the division; Laura Smart from CC:DA is working on this. She discussed getting more ALCTS people on ALA committees. Sara will check to see if this has happened. Olivia Madison is chairing the committee that is handling the 50th anniversary of ALCTS. Stay tuned A paper has been issued on ALA and electronic publishing. Sara will distribute this. It deals with implementing electronic access to ALCTS publications. 11 The Board is happy with preconference preregistrations: 118 people on Thursday; 149 on Friday An RFP has been drawn up for a new ALA website. John Duke is chairing a New Technologies TF that has been formed by ALCTS. The Board endorsed the resolution CCS-Exec developed thanking those involved in AACR2. 2.10.2 Other 2.11 Unfinished business from Friday night There was no unfinished business from Friday night. Session 3: Tuesday, June 28, 2005, 8:30-ca. 11:30 AM* Palmer House, Burnham 1 Members in attendance: Sara Shatford Layne, Chair Ann Caldwell, Secretary Jennifer Bowen, Member-at-Large Marty Kurth, Member-at-Large Karen Hsu, Member-at-Large Glenn Patton, Member-at-Large Beth P. Camden, Member-at-Large Mary Charles Lasater, Member-at-Large Cynthia Whitacre, Vice-Chair Guests: Rebecca Mugridge, Budget & Finance Committee Liaison Gary Strawn, Incoming Member-at-Large Diane Dates Casey, Policy and Planning Chair Manon Théroux, Authority Control Interest Group Chair Bruce Trumble, SAC Chair David Miller, Incoming Vice-Chair Shi Deng, CC:AAM Chair Norm Medeiros, RPC Chair Mary Larsgaard, CC:DA Chair Christine DeZelar-Tiedman, CETRC Chair Natalie Sommerville, Membership Committee Representative Julianna Beall, observer 12 Jessica MacPhail, EPC Liaison Oksana Kraus, Committee on Cataloging Children’s Materials Chair Bob Lesh, CC:AAM Incoming Chair 3.1 Introductions Members and guests introduced themselves 3.2 Announcements There were no announcements 3.3 CCS Committee Reports 3.3.1 SAC Bruce Trumble reported that SAC held two meetings. The Task Force on Named Buildings has submitted its final report. The Task Force on Semantic Interoperability has been extended to Midwinter 2006. Ed O’Neill gave an update on the FAST project and there was an update from the Subcommittee on FAST. Bonnie Deedee gave a report on MARC/FRBR. Lynn El-Hoshy provided an update from CPSO comments concerning the proposed LCRI on the addition of death dates—comments are due by July 22. 3.3.2 CETRC Christine DeZelar-Tiedman said the Mentoring Subcommittee had sent evaluations to everyone in the mentoring program last year. The fate of the mentoring database is still unresolved. The Continuing Education Subcommittee will develop a survey for people in the profession to attempt to find out what continuing education means to them. The ALCTS Education Committee has asked them to try to identify materials for a fundamentals of cataloging course. They are refining a pre-conference based on advice received during this conference. 3.3.3 CC:AAM CC:AAM will form a task force to identify experts in area studies for RDA review. The received the Ladino romanization table from LC and approved it. They discussed the Agenbrod resolution concerning intellectual access to non-Roman materials. The committee felt this was an opportunity to educate Council about what they’ve been doing, what we’re doing now to improve access and to get a cataloging issue in front of Council. 3.3.4 **JSC Representative Report, pt. 2 13 Jennifer Bowen, Bob Wolven, Mary Larsgaard and Cynthia Whitacre went before the ALCTS Board and had a very productive discussion with them and found the Board to be very supportive. In particular they wanted to know about outreach, communication and what went on at Big Heads. They got clarification that Jennifer is the ALA representative, not the CC:DA representative. She has to go beyond CC:DA and make sure all of ALA is represented. It is essential that CC:DA members represent their respective organizations. Jennifer has had conversations with Mary, Cynthia and Sara about this. Administrators and managers aren’t usually represented on CC:DA and usually don’t care about what goes on there but since RDA may have impact on cost-effectiveness they’re suddenly interested. The Board is willing to help with communication. Jennifer will send them another report this summer as well as the prospectus that will be coming out. The RDA program was very successful; there were close to 600 people. There was a brief discussion of the RDA web product and what do people want to see in an electronic version. Topics covered included how it relates to other products, marketing, content structure, metadata behind the rules, beta testing. 3.3.5 CC:DA Mary Larsgaard reported that the RDA schedule was discussed at the ALCTS Board meeting. The first draft is due in October 2005 with September 2007 targeted as a completion date. She emphasized that this is a lengthy process and is extremely time- consuming for CC:DA members and all other involved with the process. At this point CC:DA is primarily concerned with the JSC proposals and meeting the upcoming deadlines of July 11, July 25, and Sept. 12. She stressed the importance of public relations and informational work and said that there would need to be a forum at each midwinter and annual through 2007 and possibly midwinter 2008. Each of these would be 1 ½ hours. Participants would hear a summary and be able to ask questions. Sara will bring this up with the ALCTS Board. The CCO program went well; approximately 300 people attended. 3.3.6 Policy & Planning/ALCTS Planning Diane Dates Casey reported that the Planning Committee came up with new plan, mission statement and goals. This has been shared with the ALCTS Board and was fairly well received. There will probably be more revisions and rewriting. It will come to sections and section committees at midwinter. Each committee should take time in each meeting to look at the plan and send feedback to the Planning committee. There will be a members’ survey in July concerning what ALCTS should be doing in next 3-5 years. 14 Diane read the mission and goals; there will also be objectives. The current board will be giving feedback between now and July 15. In October it will go to the Executive Committee; after midwinter it will go out to membership for approval The group will be reviewing four discussion groups: Cataloging & Classification Research, Cataloging Norms, Map Cataloging Discussion Group, and Catalog Management. They are setting up a pattern so this is an ongoing process. She discussed the Nominating Committee Charge which states that they should have 3 members. Since historically they have had five, they’ll need to change that. Diane Baden is the next chair. 3.3.7 Research & Publications/LRTS Editorial Bd.—Medeiros Norm Medeiros reported that Christine Taylor from the ALCTS Office attended the Research & Publications meeting. The Committee is starting to think about a 50th anniversary Issue of LRTS for 2007. Some ideas include a 50 year index, an overall analysis of LRTS, a trend analysis, republish v.1, issue 1 as supplement. 3.3.8 CCMC—Kraus Oksana Kraus reported that CCMC has submitted for publications: Cataloging Correctly for children (4th ed.) and Preconference 2006; Sara added that the ALCTS Board approved publication. They are still working on resources for catalogers of children’s materials, a web publication. Seventy five people attended their Sunday program. 3.3.9 Joint CCS/PCC Committee reports 184.108.40.206 LCC 220.127.116.11 Series 18.104.22.168 Continuing Education Training Materials There were no reports from these committees 3.4 CCS Discussion Group Reports 3.4.1 LITA/ALCTS CCS Authority Control Interest Group Manon Théroux reported on the Authority Control Interest Group program that was held Sunday. Approximately 300 people attended to hear 6 speakers. LITA has started a blog so the program was blogged by Diane Hillman. The presentations will be available on the LITA website. The group has petitioned to become an interest group within ALCTS and would also like to drop “online environment” from the name. The next program will be about non-traditional approaches to authority control. 3.4.2 Catalog Management 15 3.4.3 Copy Cataloging 3.4.4 Heads of Cataloging 3.4.5 Map Cataloging 3.4.6 Cataloging Norms 3.4.7 Cataloging & Classification Research Discussion Group There were no reports from these groups 3.5 CCS Representatives to ALCTS Committees Reports 3.5.1 Budget & Finance--Mugridge Rebecca Mugridge reported that ALCTS is where it expected to be in 2005 with regards to membership. There has been no membership drop (memberships are actually up .8%) with the dues increase. They are currently catching up with donations. Expenses for ALCTS depend on the location of the meeting. This year there were many on-site registrations for the pre-conferences. Because of the way the pre-conferences were advertised there was some confusion and ALCTS refunded money when people only wanted ½ day but registered for a full day. Some preconferences supported others that had low enrolment. The modular preconferences were successful and they will have more information on the finances of those by August. This format will be repeated next summer. Before that the committee will look at the evaluations as well as the financial feedback. The committee stressed the importance of continuing education, particularly web courses. Since AV costs are very high, ALCTS may buy its own equipment. Hotels usually don’t mind groups bringing their own equipment. Book sales are doing well. Concerning the 2006 budget, ALA has raised overhead by 3%. For midwinter workshops, two half-day preconferences should not be held at the same time; have one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Two people from the ALA endowment visited with the committee. An ALCTS endowment fact sheet was distributed which shows that there is not much money in endowment; The committee is investigating ALCTS dues for retirees and will be doing some studies. In preparation for the ALCTS 50th anniversary a subcommittee on fundraising has been set up. 3.5.2 Membership Committee Natalie Somerville reported that the booth in the exhibits was successful and there will soon be a count on how many new members signed up. The committee is updating the list of library school contacts and plans to have an ALCTS member who lives near each school make contact with the school to promote membership. There were 124 applicants for the SAGE scholarship; 3 were chosen for a $1000 for scholarship to attend ALA. The 16 program will be repeated next year. There will also be a leadership development/mentoring program next year. 3.5.3 Publications Committee Norm Medeiros reported that Karen Letarte attended the Publications Committee meeting to discuss how it and the Education committee could work together better. When the Publications Committee receives materials that might be good education or continuing education material she would like the Education Committee to be notified. Cataloging Correctly for Kids has been approved. The committee decided that when long manuscripts are received and have well-known authorities as editors, the committee will just sign off on them. The committee will be reviewing CETRC’s training resource document. The search for the ANO editor is nearly complete. The missing issues of ANO online will be posted. 3.5.4 Org & Bylaws Paul Weiss reported that in the transition from discussion group to interest group the Board makes the final decision. He reported on a number of committee/interest group/discussion group appointments: Fundraising Committee (reappointed); Creative Ideas in Technical Services (remaining Discussion Group); Automated Acquisition/In- Process Control Systems (Interest Group); Pre-Order and pre-Catalog Searching (Interest Group). They are looking at the LITA model of having an interest group coordinator. With regards to the ACIG situation, this needs to go to CCS. Sara will check on this with the Board. 3.6 CCS Representatives to other units of ALA/other orgs. reports 3.6.1 DCEPC Jessica MacPhail reported that the bylaws were approved with new term limits. 3.6.2 PLA-LSC Cataloging Needs of Public Libraries There was no report from this committee 3.7 Chair report 3.7.1 ALCTS Board of Directors Sara reported that nearly everything has already been covered. A leadership committee has been formed to develop a program on how to build a successful CE course. 3.7.2 Other 17 3.8 Unfinished business The committee needs to finish the review of RPC research topics. Jennifer and Norm have discussed some changes and Norm will resubmit them. Mary Charles also had some suggestions for the authority essay. The charge for the Nominating Committee needs to be changed to have 4 members instead of 3 and an amplifying statement added. Motion made: Glenn Patton; seconded: Beth Camden; motion: approved. The discussion continued via e-mail and was approved as follows: Charge: To nominate candidates for elective offices for the section, assuring as broad a representation as possible of different types and sizes of libraries, types of service, and of the geographic distribution of the membership. The Nominating Committee shall consist of five members-at-large of the section, no one of who shall be a member of the Executive Committee; one member shall be appointed chair The roles of member at large will be discussed electronically 3.9 New business 3.10 Passing of the gavel Sara passed the gavel to Cynthia. She thanked the members who are going off the committee: Jennifer Bowen, Karen Hsu, and Glenn Patton. The committee members offered their hearty thanks and gratitude to Sara for her work as chair over the year. She allowed the group to get through large amount of business expeditiously by kept discussions on track (both online and at the meetings). Executive Session 3.10 Vice Chair report 22.214.171.124 2004/2005 ALCTS/CCS appointments, if necessary Appointments were discussed.