MACAROON VALENTINES RECIPE
4 large egg whites
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cups sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups lightly packed sweetened flaked coconut
8 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
3 1/2 tbs butter or margarine
1. In a large bowl beat egg whites with a mixer or whisk until frothy.
2. Add vanilla, sugar, and flour; mix until smooth.
3. Stir in coconut until evenly moistened.
4. On 2 well greased 12- x 15-inch baking sheets, evenly space 1/4 cup
portions of dough.
5. Pat each into a flat-topped heart shape about 1/2 inch thick and 3 inches
6. Bake in a 325° F. oven until macaroons are golden, about 25 minutes.
7. Switch positions of baking sheets halfway through baking.
8. Transfer macaroons to rack and let cool.
9. Place chocolate and butter in a 1 1\2 to 2-quart pan; set pan over slightly
larger pan filled with about 1/2 inch water.
10. Bring water to simmering over medium heat and warm just until chocolate
and butter melt; stir occasionally.
11. Remove pans from heat; keep chocolate mixture over hot water.
12. One at a time, dip half of each macaroon in chocolate, tipping top pan and
scraping sides to collect chocolate. (Save leftover chocolate for other
13. Set macaroons slightly apart on waxed paper placed on a 12- x 15-inch
14. Chill, uncovered, until chocolate hardens, about 45 minutes. Serve, or
wrap each airtight in plastic wrap, then chill up to one week.