If you are notified of sever weather or tornado:
CAMPUS SAFETY & SECURITY: Emergency Procedures • Stay away from doors and windows.
EVACUATION LOCATION/ASSEMBLY AREA MEDICAL EMERGENCY • Take a flashlight with you if one is available.
• Go to the ground floor of the building.
The Emergency Evacuation location is de- If you encounter a medical emergency on • Do not go outside until the all clear is
pendant on what building you are located in. campus: given.
Evacuation Locations by Building FIRE OR EXPLOSION
Business Education – Lot 4 • Call Campus Safety & Security at
Great Lakes Training Cntr – Lot 3 extension 3411. If you discover a fire or an explosion:
Gunder Myran – Parking Lot 6 • Stay with the person. • Dial 3411.
Crane Liberal Arts & Sciences – Lot 6 • Do not move the person unless • Pull the nearest fire alarm, which is located
Morris J. Lawrence – Parking Lots 1 & 3 absolutely necessary.
near most exit doors.
Occupational Ed – Bus turn around & Lot 3 • If he or she has stopped breathing do not • If the fire is easily extinguishable, and a fire
Student Center – Bus turn around attempt to use CPR unless you have been
extinguisher is handy, attempt to put it out.
Technical & Industrial – Bus turn around & trained to use it. • Look for physically-challenged individuals
Lot 4 • Look for jewelry with an inscription
and assist them in evacuating the building.
• If the designated assembly area is not a indicating a medical condition. • Evacuate to your assembly area.
safe location because of an emergency • Never give anything to drink to an • Close the doors behind you as you leave.
incident, move to a location that is safe. unconscious or semi-conscious person.
• Do not leave campus until told to do so by • Try to avoid getting blood or other bodily WORKPLACE VIOLENCE
your supervisor. fluids on you, but if you do, make Campus
Safety aware of it. If you are being threatened or assaulted:
• Remain calm.
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR & DISTURBANCES
• Dial 3411 for Campus Safety.
• Remain calm. • Keep something like a desk or door
In the event of an environmental or
• Try to learn the nature of the disturbance. be-tween you and the threatening person.
hazardous materials emergency:
• Identify who's involved in the disturbance. Keep eye contact.
• Evacuate the room and lock the door.
• Contact the Campus Safety & Security • If you can, get away from them.
• Call Campus Safety at extension 3411.
Department at extension 3411. • Find others, there is safety in numbers.
Give them the location of the incident and
» Provide as much information as you
describe what has happened. BOMB THREAT
If you encounter a noxious odor or feel a can.
» Be ready to describe the location of the
burning sensation on your skin or in your If you receive a bomb threat over the
eyes, exit the area and dial Campus Safety incident, the number of participants, telephone, remain calm and attempt to
at extension 3411. any weapons involved, physical determine the following:
characteristics and clothing worn by the • When the bomb will go off, where the
GAS LEAK particpants. bomb has been placed, the type of bomb,
• If you feel confident that you can calm the
If you smell natural gas: why the caller is doing this.
situation yourself, attempt it.
• Dial 3411 and report it to Campus Safety. Keep the caller on the line as long as
• Alert the dean or director responsible for Avoid taking physical action whenever possible and signal someone to call
the area. possible. Campus Safety at extension 3411.
If the odor is making you ill: • Position yourself away from potential
• Leave the area. harm. If they hang up call Campus Safety immedi-
• Evacuate to your assembly area. ately at 3411 and report it. Make a record of:
If the assembly area has a strong odor, • The time of the call, the exact words and
move to another location. If you think a crime is occurring or about to phrases used by the caller, the age and
EARTHQUAKE occur dial 3411. gender of the caller, the speech pattern
• Remain calm. and accent of the caller, and background
If you feel severe tremors and believe an • Provide the dispatcher with as much noise.
earthquake is occuring: information as possible.
• Duck or drop down on the floor. • Give the location of the incident. If a bomb or suspicious package is
• Get under a sturdy table, desk, or other • Provide a description of the discovered by mail:
piece of furniture. perpetrator(s). • Do not handle or open the package.
• Avoid danger spots such as windows, • Alert Campus Safety if a weapon is • Call Campus Safety immediately.
hanging objects, mirrors, or tall items like involved. • Leave the area and warn others to leave
bookcases and file cabinets. the area.
• Describe what has happened or what is
• Hold on to sturdy funiture and be prepared happening. • Never attempt to disarm a bomb or
to move with it. suspected bomb. Do not touch it if at all
• Keep the incident under observation and
• After the tremors stop evacuate the possible. Do not use light switches or
relay your information when Campus
building. radios around the suspected bomb.
Safety & Security arrives.
• Assist others in their evacuation.