Please note this is not an official document and should be used for guidance only.
JOB TITLE: Finance Officer
JOB PURPOSE To oversee the Union's £11 million turnover.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Monitor all Union expenditure, reporting regularly to Student Executive
Committee, making recommendations on any significant variance from
2. Have specific responsibility for all student focused budgets, covering
the work of the Student Officers, Students’ Union Council, Committees,
Societies, elections and referenda;
3. Represent students’ views and interests on all matters relating to
commercial services (the bars, clubs and shops of the Union), ensuring
that effective procedures for market research and customer feedback
are in place;
4. Work with the managers of the Union for ongoing development of the
Union’s commercial services and also through their business plans and
5. Ensuring that the Alcohol and Responsible Retailing Policy is adhered
to by all outlets and staff.
6. Ensure that Union Finance Committee prepares a budget in advance of
each financial year, for submission to Union Council in the second
7. Support the Commercial Services Committee by promoting and
developing the Committee, attending regular meetings and sustaining
their relationship with Union Commercial managers;
8. Ensure that all Committees, clubs, societies, Officers and officials of
the Union comply with the financial regulations;
9. Responsible for the Ethical and Environmental policies within the
Union, including ensuring the Union's Fairtrade status is maintained;
10. Ensure that all relevant Commercial and Financial decisions are
brought to Union Finance Committee on a monthly basis and to chair
all such meetings;
11. Responsible for overseeing the Marketing and Communications
Department, and ensuring the Advertising policy is adhered to.
12. Responsible for overseeing the Communications initiatives and
strategies from within the officer team.
13. Responsible for overseeing the Entertainments Department.
14. Responsible for liaison with NUS Services Ltd and all other external
15. Represent all students on the University Finance Committee,
submitting budgets and final accounts; Represent all students on
Senate Budget Committee to scrutinise and make recommendation of
the budgets of the University; and act as a deputy to the President on
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Represent students of the University to local and national bodies,
organising campaigns in support of student interests.
2. Represent students on University bodies, producing reports which shall
be presented to the relevant Union Committees.
LIAISON WITH OTHER PERSONNEL
Liaison with other Union Officers, Union staff, students and University staff
forms a vital part of this role.
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hours min per week
DURATION OF CONTRACT: 12 months + 3 weeks as officer elect
SALARY: Annual salary £17,606
HOLIDAYS: 25 days pa plus public holidays + customary closure days
CLOSING DATE FOR NOMINATIONS: 12 noon, Friday 12th February