Chapter 10 - Supply Chain Management
1. Go to the Stanford Supply Chain Forum
(http://www.stanford.edu/group/scforum/Welcome/) and read one of the “white
papers” on supply chains posted on this site and write a brief (1-2 page) summary
2. Visit these two sites that talk about the bullwhip effect - site 1
(http://rmdonovan.com/pdf/SCM_PartIII.pdf) and site 2
(http://www.quickmba.com/ops/bullwhip-effect/) – and identify and briefly
describe the major causes for the bullwhip effect and the suggested remedies.
3. Visit the following three sites that talk about value chains – site 1
(http://www.iwvaluechain.com/FAQ/), site 2
(http://www.themanager.org/models/ValueChain.htm) and site 3
(http://www.ids.ac.uk/ids/global/valchnconcep1.html) – and discuss how value
chains are theoretically different from supply chains. Do you perceive any
difference between a value chain and a supply chain? If so, what are they?
4. Ariba/FreeMarkets (http://www.ariba.com/), DirectFreight.com
(http://www.directfreight.com), National Transportation Exchange,
Logistics.com, Nistevo, and TradeBeam (http://www.tradebeam.com/) are
examples of e-marketplaces and Internet supply chain exchanges. Visit these sites
or other similar sites and discuss what they do and how they are different from
5. Federal Express and UPS (http://www.ups-scs.com/about/news.html) market their
supply chain capabilities at their web sites. What do these package deliverers do
to help manage companies’ supply chains?
6. Logistics Today (http://www.LogisticsTODAY.com) is a practitioner-oriented
magazine about supply chain management. Read one of the articles posted on this
site related to some aspect of supply chain management and write a brief
7. Purchasing is another practitioner-oriented magazine about supply chain
management that focuses on suppliers. Read one of the articles that are posted
under the “Reader’s Choice” link and write a brief report on it.
8. Supply Chain Management (http://www.mcb.co.uk/scm.htm) is a research journal
about supply chain management published in England. Visit their site and read
one of their “Best Papers” and briefly summarize it.
9. Read one of the white papers on collaborative planning, forecasting and
replenishment at the CPFR (http://www.cpfr.org/WhitePapers.html) site and write
a brief summary of it.
10 Visit the following sites that provide information about RFID technology – site 1
(http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1567819,00.asp), site 2
(http://www.rfidjournal.com/article/articleview/207) and site 3
(http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/08/09/HNwherenet_1.html) – and discuss
the effect of RFID on supply chain management. How does it differ from bar
code technology? What are its drawbacks? What is its future?
11. Visit the web site for the European Union (http://europa.eu.int/index_en.htm).
What is the history of the EU and what is it today? How does it act as a trading
group with countries outside the EU (i.e. “external trade”).
12. Visit the web site for the World Trade Organization (http://www.wto.org/). What
is the WTO and how many members does it currently have? What is the history
of the WTO? How do you think it effects a company’s global supply chain
13. Read about inventory turns at these three sites – site 1
(http://beginnersinvest.about.com/library/lessons/bl-lesson3h.htm, site 2
ml) and site 3 (http://www.itworld.com/Tech/2429/CWD010507STO60182/) –
and discuss how inventory turns are computed and their importance as supply
chain performance metric. Discuss the use of inventory turns at Coca-Cola.
14. Visit the Supply-Chain Council web site for SCOR (http://www.supply-
chain.org/public/scor.asp). What is a “process reference model?” Describe the
five management processes that SCOR is based on. Why is SCOR important for
supply chain management? Also visit the SCOR
(http://www.logisticstoday.com/displayStory.asp?S=1&sNO=6463) site at
LogisticsToday.com. What evaluation tools are used in SCOR that are also used
in quality management and how are they used?
15. Visit these two web sites about vendor managed inventory (VMI) – site 1
(http://www.quickmba.com/ops/vendor-managed-inventory/) and site 2
(http://www.computerworld.com/news/1999/story/0,11280,36744,00.html) – and
discuss some the positive and negative features of VMI and some things that a
company can do to overcome problems with VMI. Also identify some of the
companies that use VMI.
16. Visit this site on warehouse management systems
(http://www.arcweb.com/Newsmag/ent/rfid-ins39-010804.asp) and discuss how
RFID can be used with a WMS in supply chain management.
17. Outsourcing is an important aspect of supply chain mangement in today's
competitive environment. Visit the Outsourcing Institute and summarize the
trends and concerns facing companies that elect to "buy" rather than "make."