Bart Rosseau – strategic communications
… of government communication
Why should we use it?
What makes it difficult to use it?
Government communication is about POLICY
communicated by different actors
The process : Why ? Where ? How?
The product : What ? When ?
The most defining aspect :
We have to communicate/react even before the formal decision,
so the decision-making itself is part of the public arena
Who is “the government”?
Who speaks when?
Decision making process :
1. Agendasetting - Public/Politicians/Stakeholders
• problem definition
• public awareness
2. Preparation – Administration/Politicians
how where what when who
3. Formal Decision - Politicians
4. Implementation - Administration
5. Evaluation – Public/Politicians/Administration
Use of social media is relevant for every step,
but when is it most relevant coming from the government?
A broad range
A sample of subjects:
(top items www.gent.be – 15/02/2010)
- Klimaatbudget : sensibilisation about a greener city
- Starting a commission about the retrieval of a Kokoscha Painting
- Free tickets Flanders Horse Expo
- Applying for a grant for environmental organisations
- Ghent city hosts the international Quality Congress
- Open letter to public transport compagnie about routing frequency
WITH ONE VOICE?
Why use social media?
- Being there where the people are
- a personal approach?
- gauging public opinion?
- A new audience?
- Additional to existing channels
- Have some control:
anybody can start something about Ghent
be the first to say it
Who is sending the message? A company profile?
Our experiences so far…
Facebook & Linked-in
Core: leisure!!!!(cultural, tourism, …)
• Musea (SMAK, MSK, Huis van Alijn)
• Events (Gentse Feesten, WinWinbeurs, Jazz in „t park)
• Campaigns (SWAP pas, Gentse Ondernemer, ….)
Gent over Morgen: experiment with Facebook, Youtube, Gentblogt
- jan-mar 2009
- public discussion about long term vision (Gent 2020)
- challenge: keep a positive atmosphere
- informal character was reason to use social media
- more creativity
- avoid intimidating aspect of talking to „the government‟
Our experiences so far…
- Challenge: how to maintain a consistent online corporate identity
- It can be the right tool:
using it wrong does more harm then not using it
tone of voice!!!
- Not all aspects of government communication
Is the public ready for Government 2.0?
We‟re not trendsetters.
We don‟t need to be.
Gentinfo : 09 210 10 10