Document Sample
LETTER of PERMISSION REQUESTS - Download as PDF Powered By Docstoc
					                            KING’S UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
                                  266 Epworth Avenue London, ON, N6A 2M3
                                   OFFICE OF THE ACADEMIC DEAN

                             LETTER of PERMISSION REQUESTS
General Information and Eligibility
A Letter of Permission is a document that allows you, as an undergraduate student, to take one or more courses at another
university as a visiting student and transfer the credit(s) toward your degree at King’s University College, UWO.
be approved by the Academic Dean’s Office at King’s. If you take a course without requesting a Letter of Permission,
you may have to apply for re-admission to this university.

1. Eligibility
   •   You must be in good academic standing at King’s University College, UWO.
   •   You must have completed at least 4.0 courses at King’s University College/UWO, and have an average of at least
       60%. If you are in first-year, you will be asked to verify your term marks.
   •   Special Students (i.e., students with degrees) are not eligible.

2. Number of Courses Permitted
   You may be given permission to take a maximum of 5.0 Letter of Permission courses toward your degree.

3. Specific Course Information
   Option courses can normally be approved by the Academic Dean’s Office. Principal courses will be sent to the
   department concerned for evaluation and approval. The following will NOT be approved:
   •  Courses intended to fulfill the designated essay requirements;
   •  Science courses considered below the 020 level (e.g., Math 012a/b); and
   •  Education, theology, or performance courses in music.

4. Residence Regulations for Graduation
   You must complete certain courses at King’s University College, UWO. The minimum for a general program is 5.0
   senior courses, 2.0 designated essay courses (including one at the senior level in your Area of Concentration), and the
   majority in your module courses. The minimum in an honors program is 10.0 courses taken at King’s University
   College, UWO. (See Academic Calendar for full details.)

   For Winter Sessions in particular, we recommend that you consult Student Financial Services to see whether you have
   to apply for OSAP through the host institution.

Procedure to Obtain a Letter of Permission
1. Plan Ahead. Please allow two – four weeks for processing of your L of P. UWO recommends that you apply at least
   one month before classes begin at the other institution.

2. Contact the Host University. Ask about the application deadlines and fees, the registration procedures and add/drop
   deadlines for visiting students. See if an official UWO transcript is required. Obtain descriptions of courses being
   offered. You might find the Canadian Universities web site (www.aucc.ca/dcu/) helpful.

3. Complete the “REQUEST FOR A L of P” form. Fill in all areas except “EXACT EQUIVALENT”, “SUBSTITUTE
   FOR COURSE”, and “DEPT APPROVAL”. List alternative course choices, if possible. Complete the form carefully
   to avoid delays in obtaining approval.

                                                                                                   Revised November 13, 2009
4. Submit the Completed Form.. Leave your completed form with the Academic Dean’s Office (Rm. DL 104). If you
   are a first-year student you may be asked to provide verification of term marks. You will be contacted by an
   Academic Counsellor when courses have been equated by the appropriate Department(s).

5. Preparation of Your Official L of P. The Academic Dean’s Office at King’s will submit your L of P form to the
   Registrar’s Office at Main Campus, where your Official Letter of Permission will be processed and forwarded directly
   to the host university. You will be required to provide a cheque ($55.00 payable to UWO non-refundable) for
   processing your request. (Exception: If you are attending U of T, you must pick up the Official L of P from the
   Registrar’s Office and submit it yourself, or request that it be faxed to the appropriate U of T campus). Faxing the L
   of P is available on receipt of an additional $6.00 fee. (Be sure to provide the host university’s fax number.) Only if
   necessary, order a UWO transcript ($8.00 fee plus $2.00 for rush orders) from the Registrar’s Office at UWO. For
   transcript details, call 661-2106. The Board of Governors reserves the right to amend fees after this information is
   posted. Students who don’t pay the processing fee will be subject to financial and academic penalties.

6. Register in the Approved Courses at the Host University. Make arrangements to pay your fees (apply for OSAP,
   etc.) at the host university. Order a transcript from the host university to be sent to the Registrar’s Office at UWO
   when your final grades are available.

Important Information About Your Letter of Permission
A. Revised Letters of Permission
Your Letter of Permission is valid only for the session indicated and for the number of courses and the specific courses approved. If
you register for different courses, contact your Academic Counsellor immediately by mail or fax to request a revised L of P. There is
no charge for revising courses on a L of P. However, you need a new L of P to attend a different session. Students attending other
schools without a valid L of P normally have to apply for readmission to King’s and there is no guarantee of transfer credit.

B. Notice of Cancellation or Withdrawal
Before classes begin – you may call (519) 433-3491, ext. 4406, or fax (519) 963-1263, the Office of the Academic Dean, to cancel
your L of P.
After classes begin – you must submit to the Registrar’s Office at UWO written confirmation from the host university indicating that
you didn’t register, or that you withdrew on a specific date.

If you withdraw without penalty, the course(s) will normally be shown as “WDN” on your UWO academic record. Late withdrawals
will be recorded as failures on your UWO transcript and will be included in your average. The L of P fee is not refundable. YOU

C. Send a Transcript of Your Results to Western
It is your responsibility to have an official transcript sent DIRECTLY from the host institution to The Registrar’s Office (Room 1120
Western Student Services Building, UWO, London, ON, N6A 3K7). Place your order as soon as you are registered so you don’t
forget. If a transcript is not received by UWO, the course(s) will be recorded as a failure on your academic record. This could affect
your eligibility for further registration here or delay your graduation.

D. Transfer of Credit(s) and Grades
An approved course will be credited toward your degree. The grade will be recorded as a numeric value and converted using the
conversion scale used by Western. Grades will be included in your average. Failures, including late withdrawals, will also be
recorded and included in your average.

Course credit will be granted equal in value to the course weight assigned by the host institution. For the purpose of future
registration, course content covered on a transfer of credit basis may serve as either pre- or antirequisite, as determined by the
Academic Dean’s Office.

N.B. If you wish to appeal a grade, contact the host university directly.
The policy on determining eligibility for Dean’s Honor List and “With Distinction” is outlined in the Academic Calendar.

E. Graduation
If you have a L of P to take the final course(s) of your program and you want to graduate, you must apply for graduation on the web
(https://student.uwo.ca) at the appropriate time and ensure that the Registrar’s Office receives your official transcript by the deadline.
Otherwise, you must reapply to graduate at the next convocation. Normally, students attending in the winter will not graduate until
Fall Convocation. Spring (June) Convocation – apply between Dec 1st and Mar 1st (transcript deadline: May 15th). Fall (October)
Convocation – apply between July 1st and Sept 1st (transcript deadline: Oct 1st).
                                                                                                                 Revised November 13, 2009