I operate an osCommerce site offering dog and cat pet merchandise. However, it is not an “online pet store.”
While do have dog and cat bowls and beds, we also offer pet-themed merchandise for the pet owner. Most all of
our customers are women.
Far the most part, I do like the layout and functionality of my osCommerce site. However, I would like to improve
its operation and user friendliness, while also making it more of a fun place to shop. I would like to add some
osCommerce functions and give the site a minor “face lift.”
OsCommerce Programming Additions/Modifications
1. Add Category Meta Tags – Add the capability to create/generate unique meta tags (title, description and
keywords) for category and subcategory pages. Presumably the Category Meta Tags contribution would
apply but I don’t know for sure.
2. Modify Search Engine Friendly URLs – I currently have SE friendly URLs that remove special
characters (=, &, etc) and use the numerical product ID. I would to use keyword text URL, perhaps the
Ultimate SEO URLs contribution.
3. Add Checkout Without Creating An Account – presumably the Purchase Without Account contribution.
4. Add Tracking Inventory By Attribute – The product attribute feature that I have works great for
displaying several related products on one product page. However, the feature does not track inventory
by attribute. I need the capability to track inventory by product attribute because I consider each attribute
a unique product. I’m not sure but I think the QTpro v1.0 - Quantity Tracking Professional contribution
5. Correct/modify the “State” Format Sent To PayPal IPN - OsCommerce automatically transfers
customer information (name, address, etc.) to PayPal IPN. Unfortunately, however, my osCommerce
transfer the full name of the customer’s state (e.g. New York) instead of the two-character abbreviation
(e.g. NY) that PayPal requires.
6. Add All Products by Category Link – Add link to list all products by category similar to that shown at
7. Add Two Fields/Tables To Product Database – Add a field/table called “Product Type” and one called
“Product Breed.” (The concept is similar to that of Products Manufacturer.) There will be three
options/records for Product Type – cat, dog and both (pertaining to both cat and dog). The number of
options/records for the “Product Breed” field/table is yet to be determined. Capability to add, edit and
delete options/records for both new fields should be made available in the Admin/Catalog area similar to
8. Add And Modify The Shop By Price Search Feature – Include the newly-created field “Product Type”
as a search criterion to the Shop By Price search. In the Search By Price info box, just above the price
ranges, there should be radio buttons for each one of the three Product Type options (dog, cat and both).
(The radio button of “both” will be labeled “all.” The default will be “all”). With adding Product Type to the
search criteria, visitors will be able to search various combinations of Product Type and Price Range. For
example, visitor would be able to search for cat products that are under $15, dog products that are $15 to
$25 or all (cat and dog) products greater than $50. As with the current Shop By Price search feature, the
search will be activated by clicking on the desired price range. (The determination of the number and size
of ranges will still be made in the admin area.)
9. Add A Drop Down Search Box – Create a drop down search box for the new Product Breed field. The
concept is similar to that of the Products Manufacturer search box.
10. General Review and Code Compliance – Perform a general review of the major web site files and to
correct, if necessary, code that is not compliant with W3C standards.
All of the additions and modifications are to be made to an existing store. None of the requested changes are
to negatively impact the store’s current functionality.
Logo & Graphic Redesign
1. Logo Resign - Displayed below is the current logo.
People have stated that the logo needs to be more fun and less as stodgy. The following was proposed as a
I agree that it needs to be more fun. Whatever the new logo is to be, I think that a paw print should be
included. I also like the blue color and a crown. I’m open to the style/font. I would like to see a couple of
tentative or prospective designs before committing to a particular design.
2. I would also like the “customer satisfaction” seal/graphic redesigned. It needs to be more readable while
not being very big.
Web Site Redesign
Because of the nature of web site and logo design, it is often difficult to accurately describe a concept without
being too vague or omitting something. Therefore, I will try to provide some guidance/direction, while trying
not to be to confining. I am not an artist, so some suggestions would be welcomed.
Far the most part, I would like to retain the layout of my existing store. It follows the basic layout design of
osCommerce. However, needs to be more fun and engaging. Please keep in mind that nearly 90% of our
customers are women.
Listed below are some web sites/templates that I have provided for reference. These are not listed to be
“cloned” but to provide some idea as to the “feeling” of the site. The layout of the sites is not what particularly
caught my eye. It is the use of lively color without being bold of overbearing. Also, I like the use of “white
http://www.steves-templates.com/animal-templates.html paw print
1. Redesign the header with the redesigned logo. I would like to include a small search box and links for
home, my account, view cart checkout and contact us. I like the use of CSS because it does not add to
the file size. Maybe add some dog or cat pictures or paw prints. However, I really don’t what it to add to
the file size.
2. I would possibly like some type of animation/flash but I am extremely concerned about load times and
browser capability. Just something enough to make it look more fun. Perhaps something to do with the
logo and the crown or maybe paw prints. Or maybe just a sparkle from the crown.
3. Remove excess table structure along the left and right columns so that, when the left and right columns
are displayed, the outer edges are aligned with the horizontal bar in the header.
4. Once the colors are determined for the header, incorporate the color, and various tones, into the info
boxes by way of CSS.
5. Include relevant links in the footer.