FAST FACTS: THE
• As part of a school project, 17-year-old Bob Heft designed the current
U.S. ﬂag in 1958. He got a B-minus, but President Dwight Eisenhower
liked it. He chose Heft’s design as our ofﬁcial ﬂag.
• The 50-star design is the longest ﬂying in U.S. history.
• Legend says George Washington asked Betsy Ross
to sew the ﬁrst American ﬂag. Most historians
believe that Francis Hopkinson, a signer of the
Declaration of Independence, designed it.
• The famous 1851 painting of George
Washington crossing the Delaware River
has a glaring mistake — the ﬂag shown
hadn’t been created at the time of the
crossing! The Revolutionary War
was fought using regimental ﬂags.
• The United States Flag Code states: “The ﬂag
represents a living country and is itself considered
a living thing. Therefore, the lapel ﬂag pin being a
replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the