TOWN OF HUNTINGTON
DEPT. OF ENGINEERING SERVICES
BUILDING PERMIT PROCEDURE
1. A permit is issued for a maximum period of three years. A fee of one half the original
fee is charged for a renewal after one year and again after the second year.
2. There is no additional fee if your certificate of occupancy (C.O.). is obtained within the
first year. No second fee required if your C.O. is obtained before the end of the second
3. If your C.O. is not obtained within the three year period, your permit expires and you
must obtain a new permit requiring that you repeat the application process and pay full
4. If there is any plumbing work to be done in conjunction with your building permit you will
also need a plumbing permit. Check with the plumbing section in Room 112.
5. If there is electrical work involved, you or your licensed electrician should make
application to approved electrical inspection service. A copy of this certificate must be
filed with the Building Department before obtaining a C.O.
6. The Property Owner is responsible to ensure that all the permit requirements are met in
order for the C.O. to be issued.
7. Permit applications must be accompanied by: Copy of survey by licensed surveyor
Plans of proposed work
Fee by money order, cash or check (checks over $1,500. must be certified)
INSPECTIONS ARE NOT AUTOMATIC
MAKE SURE INSPECTIONS ARE CALLED FOR & ALL OTHER REQUIREMENTS ARE MET