AFPC Norm Decontamination Facility Plant
- The passage of produced water through pipe work and plants leads to the
built up of Norm scale on the inner surfaces, which can present an
external radiation Hazard during normal operation and an Internal and
external hazard during maintenance work.
- AFPC have made a policy decision to manage the NORM wastes in
accordance with best international practice.
- AFPC constructed a Norm Decontamination plant by the AEA
- The AFPC NDF plant is used to remove NORM contaminated scales
from Production equipments in order to be prepared for re-use or
- The plant is run continuously for 10 HRs per day and 365 days per year
(except the break down maintenance & De- sludging shutdowns)
- Sump pumps to transfer process water from the jetting bays / lancing
machine into settling tanks that designed to allow fine NORM
particulate to fall out of suspension in the process water stream.
- The AFPC NDF plant achieves decontamination level down to 0.37
Bq/Cm² for Alpha radiation and 3.7 Bq/Cm² for Beta radiation.
2. NDF Main Parts:
1- A general area with:
a) Operators Change room with showers: with barriers and
b) Visitors Change room with showers
c) A hooded Gas Cutting area: breathing air supply is
required for Operators
d) An active Laundry: with ventilation and waste feed direct
to a disposal tank
e) A water Jetting area for Decontamination
2- A Pump House with High Pressure Pumps for Equipments
* Process water is extracted from settling tanks and
conveyed to the water filter units, where cartridges will
remove particulate down to 10 micron.
a) High pressure pump for tubular decontamination
b) Low pressure pumps for sump and water re-circulation
3- Active air samplers to monitor airborne activity and
Extract Ventilation System
4- A tubular Decontamination plant for tubes Decontamination:
- 1000 bar operational pressure
- It is hydraulically operated and controlled de- scaling
water chiller: is to cool the process water temperature which
has gained heat after passing through high pressure pumps
5- A lay down area for equipments dismantling to be
6- A Lay down area for decontaminated equipments
7- A temporary waste store building for main and
secondary waste temporary storage.
8- Health Physics Laboratory
AFPC NDF Plant Layout
W. Chiller NDF Layout A. Chiller
Tubular lance Store W.Shop
Tubular Primary Secondary
Area C.Room Settling Settling
Tube Racks Tanks Tanks Luck
Hepa Jetting Bays Op.Cha.
Filter Pump Burning Bay Room
Room House S.Ch.R
Offices W.C Room
Scale Drum Store Clean Area Sun 7
The NDF External Layout
Drum Store Offices, Mess Controlled Area At The back
Stores Air Luck
High Pressure Jetting Bay
Tube Plant Machine
Jetting & Burning Curtain
Contaminated Equipments Wrapping
1. Received items are wrapped in plastic bags.
2. Vehicle wheels must be checked by the plant
HPS Prior to leave the Plant. Apply
Decontamination if required.
3. Decontamination of equipment
1. Receipt of equipment from Owners with all the required info
included in job work Request form (Owner name, indicator
and telephone number, location, equipment explanation for
reused OR scrap, numbers of equipments, Norm certificate
checked by the location RPS, job priority based on
equipments reuse or HSE condition)
2. NDF Plant manager and HPS Recheck the work request
information and compare.
3. HPS Recheck the Norm contamination of the received
4. Off loading At NDF controlled area
5. Check the vehicle body and wheels prior to leave the facility
and Decontaminate if required
6. Write NDF Local number
7. Organizing Job based on priority
8. Start Decontamination based on equipments type until
9. NDF contact the person who raised the WO when achieve the
10. Transport the Decontaminated equipments to the Central
work shop for maintenance OR contact the Owner to take
the equipments back as required.
10. Issue Clearance Certificate OR Radiological Survey
Report as required
Norm Yards Decontamination Management Process
Re-used equipments Flow Chart Scrap Equipments
-OPX/M raise Immpower
OPX/M OPX/M, Focal Point work request to NDF including
Inventorying the the Norm reading
- Equipments Decontamination Priorities
priorities of - OPX/M raise WO to OTS/3
- OPX/M to specify the inventory of the
equipments by type for equipments transportation to
reused and scrap equipments: and from NDF.
RPS to attach
RPS to inventory the
- OPX/M to raise Immpower work request to NDF based on the Norm
equipments based on Norm
job necessity including all details (Norm reading, hot work if inventory with -NDF, schedule priorities and
contaminated level for
requested to be applied after decontamination, and effective by readings carry out Decontamination
high pressure water jetting. Confirm the priority of urgent job
-OPX/M to raise another W.R to OTS/2 for the equipments Notes:
that need maintenance after decontamination. 1- To nominate the Omar scrap yard focal points that will be responsible for
- OPX/M to raise transportation W.O to OTS/3 to transport the decontaminated scrap materials from NDF as a central yard for all areas -NDF, to contact OTS/3 (Telephone
equipments to NDF, from NDF to OTS/2 , and from OTS/2 to scrap accumulation. OPO action call or e-mail) to transport the
the main area location. 2- To specify Transportation responsibility (The materials Owner has to achieved equipments to Omar scrap
request transportation from PLS for all required steps. yard with all the radiological details
3- Equipments Owner has to response of removing achieved material from report.
NDF, delay will cause facility space confusion. -- OTS/3 achieve the transportation
-ODS/N (NDF), to schedule 4- Material s wrapping and packaging as per procedures to be applied under the
within maximum 2 weeks plan.
RPS consultancy and authority.
the Normal job
5- Area RPS has to be informed to carry out double check of the received /
decontamination priority. decontaminated equipments from NDF prior to use them.
- OPX/M to confirm the priority 6- Area RPS is authorized for all Norm activities in his area and responsible to -PLS is responsible for dispatching
for the urgent requirements follow up all required procedures and registers details. the clearance Decontaminated scrap
including all details. 7- Area RPS has to feed back to NDF with regard to the Norm reading of the Equipments to SPC or to Hamaa factory
decontaminated materials received from NDF, and to inform for any deviation under Omar RPS Norm re-survey official
of the attached clearance certificate.
NDF, to check all the details. - NDF, to contact OTS/2 for the equipments that need maintenance with all official radiological report
Carry out the decontamination process, and required PPEs recommendation if required.
attach the required radiological reports.
-OTS/2 will arrange transportation from NDF to the work shop through OTS/3 within maximum one week.
-NDF, contact the Owner for the reused equipments (No maintenance OPX/M to contact OTS/3 to
requirements need), to take them back to the area with in maximum one week. - OTS/2 to contact the owner to insure transportation to remove
- OTS/3 to insure equipments transportation from NDF to the main all achieved equipments from
remove equipments after repairing.
location within maximum one week. OTS/2 W.Shop to the Owner area. 22
Clean Equipments Area
4. Important Issues Of AFPC NDF Plant:
1) Modern, closed recycled process water system, Air extracts
2) Tight environmental controls
3) All NDF workers are Norm aware and radio logically
4) All the plant workers carry out annual Radiological and
Medical examination at AESC Establishment.
5) Personal Film Badges are inspected each two months by
6) All unsafe act/condition and incidents shall be reported
7) The plant building is air conditioned to give a maximum
working temperature of 25 C°
8) Work schedule is 12 hrs day shift, Actually 9 HRs work
(From 06:00 to 08:30, from 09:30 to 12:00, from 13:00 to
15:00 and from 16:00 to 18:00 HRs) 24
9) HPS Checks vehicle body and wheels prior to leave the
plant. Apply Decontamination if required
10) All employees wear the appropriate PPEs as required
(Where Respiratory Protective Equipment (RPE) is
provided for use in particular Circumstances)
11) First Aid is provided at all times
12) All employees shall be made aware of Permanent
Instruction, which is to be followed in the event of an
incident requiring First Aid or Ambulance.
13) The Norm contaminated scale & Sludge are removed from
the tanks, and containerized in plastic drums and stored in
the waste drum store through a sequentially De-sludging
shutdown of the plant.