Teacher of the Year Selection Procedure
1. Please post these guidelines in the teacher workroom.
2. The building representative should conduct the voting process. This
includes handing out ballots and handling tie-breakers if the need
3. The building representative notifies the staff to nominate a teacher.
According to state guidelines, staff who do not qualify are: librarians
and guidance counselors. All other certified staff are eligible,
including special education teachers. Eligible teachers must have
taught in the district a minimum of five years.
4. Only certified staff are to vote.
5. No electronic means of voting is allowed. All ballots are kept with
the building representative until the Seaman Teacher of the Year
nominee is selected.
6. The building representative and building principal determine the
building nominee by counting ballots and tabulating results. Initial
results and ballots are to be shared with the building principal only.
7. In the event of a tie, the building rep will make a new ballot with the
names of the tied nominees for staff to revote. Step 2 is then repeated.
8. The building representative then notifies the nominee. At this time
the nominee is asked if they are willing to represent their building and
fill out the necessary paperwork to submit to the Seaman Teacher of
the Year Committee. If the nominee declines, the next nominee with
the highest votes becomes eligible for building Teacher of the Year
and the building rep asks them the same question.
9. If the nominee accepts the nomination, an announcement is made to
the staff informing them of their TOY nominee.
10.The district chairperson of the TOY Selection Committee is notified
of the school’s nomination.
No copyright to use top image.
Clip art licensed from the Clip Art Gallery on DiscoverySchool.com. (bottom image)