QuickTime™ and a
TIFF (Uncompressed) decompressor
are needed to see this picture.
Managing your letters of recommendation
To best assist you with applications for graduate school, medical school, or teaching jobs that require letters of
recommendation, the CELS Office is now partnering with Interfolio, the premier web-based credential file management
We believe that students and alumni will find Interfolio to be a convenient and efficient resource. Here are some of the ways
that our partnership with Interfolio will help you manage your credentials:
• Easiest applications – Storing your letters of recommendation in a credential file make the process of applying to
graduate school or medical school, or for teaching positions, much easier! Instead of getting several letters from
each recommendation writer, you have one sent to Interfolio and they do the rest of the work.
• Self-managed – With Interfolio you can do everything by yourself, anytime. You are in complete control of your
• 24-hour availability – You don’t need to wait for regular business hours in order to add or update letters or
documents in your file. You can send out your applications round the clock as well.
• High quality contents – Instead of photocopying, documents can be electronically uploaded into your account,
including confidential letters of recommendation, making for the cleanest credential file deliveries.
• Quick turnaround – Interfolio processes all delivery requests in 1 day. It also offers multiple mailing options,
including FedEx, and even electronic delivery (where available).
• Flexibility - Your files may contain many kinds of documents, so that you can store whatever you need to have the
most complete application. In addition to recommendation letters you can store other types of documents, such as
writing samples, articles, test scores, unofficial transcripts, and many more. Your file, including confidential letters of
recommendation, is entirely self-managed.
• Cost Savings - Interfolio charges only $15 to set up your account for an entire year, and $5 per application sent out.
Interfolio also offers familiar payment options. Online credit cards are accepted, as are checks and money orders.
• Customer Service – Interfolio offers one business day turnaround on voicemail and all email questions to
help@Interfolio.com. They also offer online help for immediate answers to almost any question about their service.
The attached documents have been assembled to get you started. All of the directions you will find below and many more, can
also be found on the Interfolio website. If you have any questions about this service, please feel free to contact a member of my
staff or myself. If you would like to learn more about Interfolio, I encourage you to visit their website at
Deborah Dreher, Associate Dean
Director, Office of Career Enhancing Life Skills and Funded Internships
Introduction to Interfolio, Inc:
the online credentials managing company utilized by
Connecticut College for the handling of your letters of recommendation.
Immediately, upon your first request to have recommendation letters sent out on your behalf, the Connecticut
College Office of Career Enhancing Life Skills (CELS) will transfer the recommendation letters held in your
credentials file to Interfolio, Inc.
When a file is transferred, Interfolio will send you 2 email messages: one with your user name, the other with
your password (check junk mail if not in your inbox.) Use these to activate your file.
If you cannot find the email messages, email Interfolio (http://www.interfolio.com) tell them who you
are, where you go to school and they will resend the emails.
You may also call them at: (877) 77-FOLIO
Once you know your file has been transferred from this office
and have received emails from Interfolio with your log in information . . .
Activate your file by going to:
Login is using the user name and password sent to you by Interfolio.
FYI . . .
• The CELS Office will transfer any new materials submitted to your file at no cost to you.
• You will then manage your own credentials file through Interfolio. You will be responsible for all
• Once you have an active file, you may have your letter writers upload letters directly into your account (see
directions page below or on the Interfolio website)
• The CELS Office will retain your paper file for 5 years, after which time, it will be transferred to
the college archives.
• The CELS Office counselors will be able to review your letters on file with Interfolio in order to help
you compile appropriate reference letter packages at any time in the future.
• After the initial transfer of your file to Interfolio, all subsequent transfers of previously transferred
materials will incur a charge of $15, to be paid by you to the CELS Office by check or cash before the
transfer occurs. This fee will cover the transfer of all or parts of the file to one destination.
• You will not be charged any fee for the transfer to Interfolio of new materials added to your file
after the initial transfer. The $15 charge is a handling fee to be imposed ONLY if you ask us to
send your files out to a destination other than Interfolio.