26th Annual Houston Farm & Ranch
Charity Wild Game Cook-Off
June 4 & 5, 2010
1 Abercrombie Drive, Houston, Texas 77084
The Houston Farm & Ranch & its charitable activities
RULES & REGULATIONS
1. The 26 Annual Houston Farm & Ranch Charity Wild Game Cook-Off will be at the Houston
Farm & Ranch Off Highway 6 North @ Patterson Rd. approximately 1.5 miles north of I-10, in
Houston, Texas. Applications are available in the office of the Houston Farm & Ranch during
normal business hours between 9:00am and 4:30pm Monday thru Friday or may be obtained
by calling 713-463-6650 OR email email@example.com. OR firstname.lastname@example.org
The mailing address is as follows:
Wild Game Cook-off
C/O Houston Farm & Ranch
One Abercrombie Drive
Houston, Texas 77084
2. All spaces are located on the parking lot. Contestants must supply all needed equipment and
supplies. The Cook-Off Management will provide space only.
3. Team packet will consist of: Five (5) wrist bands for cook team and MUST be worn at all
times. Included in this packet will be ten (10) admission tickets for team members and/or their
guest good for either day. Also included will be one (1) Chief Cook’s parking pass, Fire
Marshall Rules, information regarding the propane hours of inspection, silent and live auction
times, copy of the rules and turn in times. Packets will be given out upon payment at the
Chief Cook’s meeting on June 1, 2010 in McAnelly Hall.
4. The Wild Game Cook-Off Committee, Houston Farm & Ranch and their representatives will
not be responsible or liable for any theft or damage. The Cooking Teams will be held
financially responsible for any damage to the asphalt parking lot in their team space.
5. The Wild Game Cook-Off Chairman reserves the right to change, amend or make additional
rules and/or regulations as situations warrant. All decisions of the Wild Game Cook-Off
Chairman will be final.
6. There is a $10.00 Admission Charge for adults, $5.00 for Children 12 and under, 3 and under
free, for entry into the Wild Game Cook-Off. Reminder that if you leave the cook off after
5:00PM Friday June 4, 2010 for any reason must have your wrist band on or have a
admission ticket to enter or you will be charge $10.00.
7. Silent & Live Auction will be Friday, June 4, 2010 on the Westside of the Arena starting at
1. All entries must be at the Cook-Off site and paid in full by 5:00pm Friday June 4, 2010. The
contest committee reserves the right to approve or reject any entry.
2. Teams are allowed to move in early and set up Thursday, June 3, 2010 after 3:00pm. Teams
that move in on Thursday will NOT be allowed to stay the night and all personnel will be
asked to leave the property by 8:00pm so the front access gates can be secured. There will
be no exceptions to persons attempting to stay on the property Thursday evening. No
contestants will be allowed into the area prior to 8:00am on Friday, June 4, 2010. All aisles
must be cleared of vehicular traffic by 5:30pm on Friday, June 4, 2010.
3. The Cook-Off will be over Saturday June 5, 2010 after the judging finals and awards. Teams
may tear down, but NO TEAM will be allowed to leave until Sunday, June 6, 2010 between
6:00am and 12:00 PM (noon). You will NOT be allowed to move out Saturday night. THERE
ARE NO EXCEPTIONS!
4. It is the responsibility of each Cook-Off Team to keep their area clean and assist in garbage
and grease disposal. TEAMS MUST PROVIDE THEIR OWN TRASH
CANS/BARRELS/DRUMS. HOUSTON FARM & RANCH WILL PROVIDE LINERS ONLY!
Teams must place bagged trash close to team area entrance for collection by garbage detail.
Containers for hot ashes and/or coals will be on site and must be used. There will also be a
container for grease disposal ONLY on site. FAILURE TO USE THESE RECEPTACLES
PROPERLY OR TO KEEP YOUR AREA CLEAN MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION and
a $50.00 fine.
5. Each team will be allocated an approximate space of 40 ft. X 40 ft. Props, trailers, motor
homes, vehicles, tents, coverings or any part of a contestant’s equipment may not exceed the
boundaries of the assigned space. Each contestant is restricted to one motor home or RV in
a space. TENTS CANNOT BE STAKED, MUST BE SECURED BY EITHER WATER
BARRELS OR CONCRETE BLOCKS.
6. Electricity (20AMP CIRCUIT ONLY) is available to each space for lighting only. No extra
power is available. Generators will be permitted; however, they must be muffled and in
excellent working condition. If a generator is not muffled or is leaking fuel, the team will be
instructed to turn it off and not use it during the course of the Cook-Off. If these instructions
are not followed, the team will be disqualified from the competition and will not be invited
back to future Cook-Offs. Cook teams will have access to water.
7. The Chief Cook will be held responsible for the conduct of their team and their guests. Under
no circumstances are alcoholic beverages to be distributed to the general public by
contestants. Beer, wine, water and soft drinks will be available to the public at the
concession stand provided by the Houston Farm & Ranch. NOTE: STATE LAW REQUIRES
THAT YOU MUST BE 21 YEARS OF AGE TO CONSUME ALCOHOL. ANYONE
VIOLATING THIS LAW WILL BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THE CONSEQUENCES.
Each team must keep their alcohol supply out of sight. No open display of large quantities will
be allowed. Please be as discreet as possible. No glass (beer) containers will be allowed.
8. ICE – 20 lbs bags will be available at $5.00 each. Ice sales will start at Noon on Friday, June
4, 2010. No outside ice will be allowed in after 12:00 Noon, Friday, June 4, 2010. No
commercial iceboxes are allowed on the team spaces.
9. Special entertainment and scheduled times must be submitted in writing to the BBQ Cook-Off
Chairman prior to the Cook-Off for approval. NO BANDS OR LOUD MUSIC WILL BE
ALLOWED AFTER 12:00 MIDNIGHT EITHER NIGHT. All band equipment must be dollied
in and dollied out after 5:00pm Friday, June 4, 2010. No exceptions.
10. No pets or animals will be allowed in the contest or Cook-Off areas, except for Seeing Eye or
Special Assistance Animals.
11. For Safety reasons, golf carts (other than Committee Carts), bicycles, scooters, motorcycles,
motorized carts (with the exception of motorized wheelchairs), skateboards, water balloons,
water guns, sling shots, projectile launchers or small off-road vehicles, firearms, etc. will NOT
be allowed in, due to risk of injury and liability issues.
12. If you want to have a private party, your area will need to be totally enclosed by a fence or
some type and security must be furnished. THE MUSIC LEVELS ARE TO BE MAINTAINED
AT A REASONABLE VOLUME. ALL MUSIC IS TO BE SHUT OFF NOT LATER THAN
12:00 MIDNIGHT FRIDAY & SATURDAY NIGHTS.
13. There will be a Chief Cooks meeting on Tuesday, June 1, 2010 at 7:00pm in the McAnelly
Hall at the Houston Farm & Ranch. The Head Judge will instruct the teams on what is
required for this competition. The team spaces will be assigned at this meeting.
ONE CHIEF COOK – ONE PIT.
14. There will also be a Chief Cook’s meeting on Saturday, June 5, 2010 at 8:30am, in the Salt
Grass Building. The turn-in containers will be handed out at this time
15. Meat inspection will begin on Friday, June 4, 2010 at approximately 12pm and conclude at
approximately 5:00 pm the same day. CONTEST MEATS MUST BE UNCOOKED AND MAY
NOT BE SALTED, SEASONED OR MARINATED prior to the meat inspection. You may start
cooking at any time after the BBQ Committee inspects meat.
16. Cooking and Pit Fires must be wood or wood substance. All pits must be diapered or have a
fire pan placed under the firebox.
17. Seafood - Seafood may be submitted for judging and must be inspected before cooking.
Seafood is designated as any game regulated by the Texas Parks and Wildlife, any similar
state agency, and/or any federal agency and to include bass, crappie or any fish taken off the
coast of Texas, crawfish and/or shrimp may have seafood topping or dressing. ALL
SEAFOOD MUST BE COOKED ON SITE.
18. Wild Game – Wild Game must be submitted for judging and must be submitted and
inspected before cooking. Wild Game is defined as any animal regulated by the Texas Parks
and Wildlife, any similar state agency, and/or federal agency and to include white tail deer,
mule deer, elk, dove, quail, duck, goose, alligator, antelope, javelina, squirrel, pheasant, Rio
Grand turkey, eastern turkey, rabbit and/or hare. Wild Game must be harvested during a
regulated hunting season. Wild Game may also include any wild game raised on any game
management ranch in the State of Texas and can be any species of African Plains animal
and/or such as axis or fallow deer. All Wild Game MUST BE COOKED ON SITE. NO
SEAFOOD will be allowed in the Wild Game Category. Wild Game must be identified and will
be explained at Chief Cook’s meeting.
19. Any prepared meats, beans, snacks, etc., can be prepared and consumed by team members
and their guests at any time and permitted to give away to the public on Saturday, June 5,
2010. If providing food for the public, food must be served on its own table inside your space.
Your space will be marked indicating there is food available for the public – Teams
are not permitted to give alcohol out to the public. Houston Farm & Ranch will be selling beer,
wine, water and soft drinks.
20. Judging will be as follows:
Friday June 4, 2010
Jackpot Margarita 6:00pm
Saturday, June 5, 2010 CHIEF COOK’S MEETING 8:30 am
Wild Game 3:00pm
21. All cash awards will be presented on Saturday June 5, 2010 at approximately 5:00pm in front
of the Salt Grass Building, weather permitting.
Seafood First Place $500+ Apron
Second Place $300+ Apron
Third Place $250
Fourth Place $150
Fifth Place $100
Sixth Place $100
Wild-Game First Place $500+ Trophy & Apron
Second Place $300+ Apron
Third Place $250
Fourth Place $150
Fifth Place $100
Sixth Place $100
st nd rd
Jackpot Margarita will pay 1 ,2 and 3 places.
st nd rd
Jackpot Open will pay 1 ,2 and 3 places.
Best Booth $200 + Plaque
Best Hospitality $200 + Plaque
TOTAL OF CASH PRIZES $4000