How long is my building permit valid for? • Floor
• Water service
Building permits are valid for a period of
• Lawn Sprinkler
twelve ( 12) months. Construction must
• Final Inspection
commence within six ( 6 ) months of
issuance of permit. *No concrete is to be poured prior to inspections
( e xcluding driveways & sidewalks )
Phases of work requiring an inspection.
GUIDE TO OBTAINING
How do I schedule an inspection?
Inspections are performed by the Code
A BUILDING PERMIT
Inspections may be scheduled by calling
Official at various stages throughout the
( 8 15 ) 937-2940 ext. #2 and ask for an
construction process to ensure that the work
inspection, you will need to provide the
conforms to the Code, the building permit,
permit number and the type of inspection. It
and the approved plans. The following is a
is the responsibility of the owner to ensure
sample of inspections that need to be
that inspections are requested. It is
completed. Please coordinate with Staff on
requested at least 24 hours advance notice
your particular project.
be given. However, 24 hours notice does
• Footing forms & Wall forms not guarantee that inspections will be done
• Basement & Garage floor the following day, inspections are granted on
• Garage floor drain a first come first serve basis.
• Plumbing in basement floor
• Post holes ( d epth )
• Walls damp proof / Waterproofing walls
Kankakee County Planning Department
• Electric Service ( if buried, trench
depth ) 189 E. Court St., Room 201
• Framing Kankakee, IL 60901
• Rough in electric, plumbing and HVAC 815.937.2940
• Fireplace Fax: 815.937.2974
• Detached garages ( setbacks ) Hours: M-F 8:30-4:30
• Footing depth & size www.k3county.net/plan.html
Why a building permit? What information do I need to begin the Sample Plot Plan.
Permits allow the enforcement of the codes,
which have been adopted as law by the ⎕ Tax Identification Number
County. No matter what the specific project ⎕ Property owner ’ s name, address and
may be, the enforcement of codes is carried phone number
out to protect the public health, safety and ⎕ Description of work to be done
welfare. ⎕ Plot plan ( see example on right )
⎕ Estimate of cost or signed contract
Building permits provide the means for
⎕ Contractors list ( must be licensed by
Code Officials to inspect construction to
ensure that minimum standards are met and
⎕ * Floodplain survey
appropriate materials are used.
⎕ * Recorded deed
What projects require a building permit? ⎕ * Two complete sets of construction
• New Buildings
• Temporary Buildings *May not be required depending on scope of project
How long does it take to receive a
• Demolitions This is an example of the type of information needed on a plot plan.
building permit? Your required information may vary.
• Prefabricated Structures After the building permit application has
• Electrical & Plumbing Systems How much does a building permit cost?
been submitted with all necessary forms
• HVAC ( heating, ventilating and air
and information, a building inspector is Building permit fees are based on the
assigned to begin the review of the estimated value of the project, which
• Water & Sewer Hookups
application. The Building and Zoning includes cost of material and labor. For an
• Misc. Residential uses i.e.: sheds, pools,
fences, roofs, siding, windows, decks, Division Staff strive to complete the review estimate on the cost of your building permit
fireplaces, etc. process within 10 working days. Please contact a Code Official.
• Misc. Commercial uses i.e.: parking, signs, keep in mind however, the review process
Make checks payable to the Kankakee County
elevators, health, food handling, etc. can vary depending on the scope of the
project and the number of applications
waiting to be reviewed.