SAN DIEGO CITY SCHOOLS
EUGENE BRUCKER EDUCATION CENTER ! 4100 Normal Street, San Diego, CA 92103-2682 !
Office of the Superintendent
Board Date: March 11, 2003 (First Reading)
SUBJECT: Proposed Charter School Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) OPEN/ACTION
The superintendent recommends that the Board of Education conduct a first reading of the proposed Charter
School MOU and order staff to bring forward a final proposed Charter School MOU for Board action on March 25.
Summary of Previous Board of Education Discussion and Action:
The Board approved on November 27, 2001 the Charter School Policy and Guidelines, which called for district
staff to develop a template MOU which would establish contractually binding rules and expectations regarding the
district’s provision of services to charter schools.
Summary of Key Issue(s):
The recommendation contained in this report establishes a template MOU, which creates contractually binding
rules and expectations regarding the district’s delivery of services to charter schools. The MOU contains:
• Article 1 – Recitals
• Article 2 – Term; Renewal; Modifications
• Article 3 – Reaffirmation of Status of Charter School
• Article 4 – Elected Services Available to all Charter Schools
• Article 5 – Arm-of-the-District Charter Schools
• Article 6 – Schools Operating as or by Non Profit Public Benefit Corporations
• Article 7 – Other Agreements
• Article 8 – Special Education
• Article 9 – Dispute Resolution
• Article 10 – Notifications
The recommendations contained in this report represent a likely increase in revenue of approximately $212,000 in
2003-04 to the District. This figure aggregates different revenue enhancements, revenue reductions and new costs,
which would result from adoption of the recommended MOU. A similar budgetary impact would be anticipated to
recur annually if the recommended MOU is adopted.
Chief of Staff Superintendent
“The mission of San Diego City Schools is to improve student achievement by
supporting teaching and learning in the classroom.”