Rolling Stock Guide

Document Sample
Rolling Stock Guide Powered By Docstoc
					Ecclesbourne Valley Railway




Rolling Stock
    Guide
         Updated: 13th May 2010




           Contents:
          Locomotives: Diesel
          Locomotives: Steam
               Railcars
   Powered on Track Vehicles: Steam
        Passenger Rolling Stock
  Engineering Wagons and other Items
            Display Wagons




       www.e-v-r.com
                                 Locomotives
                                        Diesel

British Railways Class 20: D8001




Built by English Electric in 1957 at the Vulcan Foundry in Newton le Willows, this
locomotive was one of a prototype batch of Class 20 locomotives which owed its
origins to the 1955 modernisation plan, in which manufacturers were asked to
produce trial builds for evaluation. The design was based on one which EE had
designed for export and consequently proved extremely successful at home.

In all, 228 were built by 1968 for freight work, but were also used for summer
passenger excursion trains. The prototype batch were first allocated to Devon‟s Road
Depot in London and the locomotives of this class were eventually used throughout
almost the entire network but to begin with on the Scottish, Eastern and London
Midland regions.

A number of the class are still in use on the main line and at least 28 are now
preserved. D8001 worked in the construction of the Channel Tunnel and was for some
time at the Midland Railway Centre, Butterley.

         Builder          English Electric         Built                1957
                          Vulcan Foundry
      Class or type              20             Running No              D8001
         Weight               74 tons        Operational Status      Operational
       Brake Type             Air/Vac             Arrived           9th June 2008
         Owner               Class 20
                        Locomotive Society




                                                                                     2
British Railways Class 31: 31 414 (formerly 31 514 and D5814)




Built by Brush at Loughborough in 1961, this is an “A1A-A1A” bogie arrangement
diesel locomotive (A1A being a power axle, a load bearing axle, and a power axle),
fitted with a 1470 horse power English Electric 12SVT engine, and English Electric
traction motors, with air and vacuum brakes. It was originally fitted with a steam heat
boiler but this was subsequently removed and an Electric Train Heating Alternator was
fitted. It was first allocated, when new, to the Midland Region of British Railways (BR)
in September 1961 to the depot at Darnall, Sheffield.

These locomotives, of which 263 were built and 30 are preserved, were used for
freight, engineering and passenger trains, but are most remembered for secondary
passenger trains. It continued its working life all over the country, being allocated
variously around Sheffield, Old Oak Common (London), Bristol, March, Crewe, and
finally back to Old Oak Common, where it was stored by its then owners English
Welsh and Scottish Railways (EWS), a freight operator, in July 1999. The Locomotive
was purchased by Mr Tim Moore and Mr Chris Beale, the proud owners, in June 2005
and arrived here at the EVR on the 17th June 2005. It has been restored to Inter-City
livery. It has since been fitted for multiple unit operation (“Pink Circle”).

         Builder              Brush,               Built                1961
                          Loughborough
      Class or type              31             Running No             31 414
         Weight              109 tons        Operational Status      Operational
       Brake Type             Air/Vac             Arrived            June 2005
         Owner              Tim Moore
                           Chris Beale




                                                                                     3
Ruston and Hornsby Class 165 DE: 402803 “Sir Peter and Lady Hilton”




One of a class (of 154) built by Ruston and Hornsby in 1956 for ICI ltd. This 0-4-0
engine, originally named Faraday, was used for many years at the ICI chemical works
at Wallerscote and Winnington in Cheshire, number 402803. Being a diesel electric
locomotive. Arriving at the EVR in 2002 this was one of the first locos to arrive on the
railway. It provides power for shunting and engineering trains and is owned by Mr M
Bromley. Maximum speed 15 mph, tractive effort 14,200 pounds

         Builder        Ruston & Hornsby,          Built                1956
                             Lincoln
      Class or type          165DE               Works No              402803
         Weight              28 tons            Running No             402803
       Brake Type             Air/UF         Operational Status    Not Operational
         Owner            Martin Bromley          Arrived               2002




                                                                                     4
Ruston and Hornsby Class 165DS: 319284 “11520”




This 0-4-0 locomotive was built by Ruston and Hornsby in 1952 and is generally
similar to the one above, but is diesel mechanical, of which 124 were built at Rustons
works in Lincoln. It has a Ruston 6VPHL engine. It spent most of its working life in the
sidings of the Shell Oil Refinery at Stanlow near Ellesmere Port. Arriving at the EVR in
2002, it provides power for shunting and engineering trains on the railway and is
owned by Mr M Bromley.

Maximum speed 15 mph, tractive effort 14,200 pounds

         Builder        Ruston & Hornsby,          Built                1952
                             Lincoln
      Class or type          165DS               Works No              319284
         Weight              28 tons            Running No              11520
       Brake Type             Air/UF         Operational Status    Not Operational
         Owner            Martin Bromley          Arrived               2002




Ruston and Hornsby Class 165DS: 313394 “D2791” (Kirtley)
Left the EVR for the Telford Steam Railway in November 2009




                                                                                     5
Thomas Hill (Rotherham) Ltd Class Vanguard “Hydra”




This locomotive has a 0-6-0 wheel layout and was built by Thomas Hill in their
Kilnhurst works at Rotherham. It has a Rolls-Royce supercharged 8 cylinder C8SFL
engine that produces around 311 brake horse power. Hydra has a tractive effort of
about 30,000lbs. This loco was originally fitted with air start. This is because the
nature of the work required it to be flameproof. It is Wyvernrail‟s intention to convert
the engine to electric start for ease of use.

The loco was brought new by the previous owner and has spent it‟s entire career
hauling bitumen tankers at the British Petroleum (BP) oil refinery in Llandarcy on the
coast of South Wales. At Llandarcy the locomotives running number was 6, it has
been named Hydra since arriving on the EVR.

This loco has been purchased by Wyvernrail for use on permanent way trains.

         Builder            Thomas Hill,            Built                1968
                             Rotherham
      Class or type           Vanguard           Works No               194V
         Weight               48 Tones          Running No                6
       Brake Type              Air/UF        Operational Status      Operational
         Owner             Wyvernrail Plc         Arrived           February 2009




                                                                                      6
Thomas Hill (Rotherham) Ltd Class Vanguard “Tommy”




This loco is the younger sister locomotive of the one on the previous page. The two
locomotives are almost identical in many ways. Both were built by Thomas Hill at
Kilnhurst, Rotherham. It has a naturally aspirated Rolls-Royce C8NFL 8 cylinder diesel
engine and a hydraulic transmission. The engine produces about 272 brake horse
power. The two locos Tommy and Hydra (see previous) have different horse power
ratings but are the same weight. This means that the final drive ratios have to be
different to produce the same tractive effort. Tommy is geared lower than Hydra
which allows it to have the same tractive effort of about 30,000lbs.

The locomotive was brought brand new from Thomas Hill by British Petroleum (BP) for
use in their Llandarcy refinery in south Wales, and spent it‟s entire working life
shunting oil tankers. When in the hands of BP it was known as by its running number,
number 8. Since the loco arrived at the EVR it has been named Tommy.

Arriving on the EVR in February 2009 it has now entered preservation, with a new
loving owner.

         Builder           Thomas Hill,            Built               1973
                            Rotherham
      Class or type          Vanguard           Works No               246V
         Weight              48 Tones          Running No                8
       Brake Type             Air/UF        Operational Status      Operational
         Owner             Private Owner         Arrived           February 2009




                                                                                    7
Rolls-Royce Class Steelman “L J Breeze”




The Steelman class of locomotive was designed originally to replace steam
locomotives within the quarry industry. However, only five were ever built due to
British Rail selling off the Class 14 locos to industry, thereby destroying the Steelmans
intended market. 10275‟s first home along with three other Steelman locos was at
Corby Quarry (Northamptonshire) which was owned by Stewarts and Lloyds Minerals
Ltd. It eventually came to be the works shunter at Bombardier‟s Wakefield plant
before moving to their Derby site.

Although this locomotive has 6 wheels it should not be referred to as a 0-6-0 because
it does not have side rods. The correct term for it wheel arrangement is 6wDH, as it
has cardan shafts driving each axle. The loco has a naturally aspirated Rolls-Royce
DV8N V8, 445 horse power diesel engine, and has a hydraulic transmission. It is fitted
with train brakes, suitable for hauling air braked stock.

The name L J Breeze comes from a former Rolls-Royce and Thomas Hill employee Les
Breeze. He started work at Sentinel Shrewsbury. There he was test house engineer
and then a Commissioning Engineer for Sentinel diesels. He went over to Thomas Hill
when loco production transferred to Kilnhurst in 1971. There he continued as
Commissioning Engineer, delivering and driver training on new deliveries throughout
the UK, and in between writing the technical manuals. He was very knowledgeable
about the locos and this led him to being a sort of guru type figure within the
company.

We are very grateful to Bombardier Transportation for this generous donation.

         Builder           Rolls-Royce             Built                1969
      Class or type         Steelman             Works No               10275
         Weight             52 Tones         Operational Status       Operational
       Brake Type               Air               Arrived             April 2009
         Owner            WyvernRail Plc




                                                                                      8
RA Lister & Co Class R: 26288 (Narrow Gauge)




This diminutive locomotive was built in 1944 by RA Lister and Company at their
Dursley Works in Gloucestershire. It is a 2 foot gauge type R “Rail Truck” of which
many hundreds were built and about 90 survive in preservation. The Rail Trucks were
a variant of a three wheeled road version, the Auto Truck, which was originally
conceived for use in factories and as well as agricultural use and for motorised railway
station trolleys. Several thousands of the road versions were built between 1926 and
1970, production of the rail version continued until about 1973 when production at
the Dursley Works ceased.

It has a 7 brake horse power air cooled engine and was bought, when new, by the
Stoke on Trent Sewage Engineer, for use on the internal railway system of Stoke on
Trent waterworks at Newstead Sludge Disposal Plant, Blurton, as a petrol engined
locomotive. It was converted to diesel in 1971 and in 1976/77 was transferred to
Burslem Sewage Works. Rail traffic ceased at Burslem in 1983 and it was sold to
Richard Morris, Glodfa Ganol, just before that date in 1981 or 1982 for the Oakley
Slate Quarry. This was the site of a proposed museum that didn‟t materialise and
therefore all the locomotives from Glodfa Ganol were sold. At some point it came into
the hands of Nottingham Museum Service, but by the time the EVRA sought to
acquire it in 2005, the Museum Service had lost its history and believed it had been a
locomotive at the Stoke Bardolph Waterworks (having confused the Stoke, of Stoke
on Trent, with Stoke Bardolph). It is also considered that it has been rebuilt at some
time after 1967 as part of the chassis are denoted “British Steel” a name not in use
before that date.

This type of engine was very common not only in waterworks, but also in quarries,
brickworks and other municipal uses. It is owned by the EVRA.

         Builder          Ra Lister & Co,          Built                1944
                             Dursley
      Class or type           Type R             Works No              26288
         Weight               3 tons            Running No             26288
       Brake Type           Screw/Air        Operational Status      Operational
         Owner                 EVRA               Arrived            June 2005




                                                                                     9
                                 Steam Locomotives

Steam locomotive No 102 Cathryn




Hudswell and Clarke 0-6-0T (tank) locomotive:

First designed for the Port of London Authority in 1915, this class of engine continued
in production at Hudswell and Clark of Leeds until the end of steam locomotive
building there. This example, number S102 (works number 1884/55), named
Cathryn, was purchased in 1944 for work at Newmarket Colliery, Stanley, Wakefield,
where it worked, except for occasional repairs at the central workshops (NCB Allerton
Bywater) until 1969, with its (now scrapped) sister locomotive S103 1864/52. After
repairs it was then drafted to St Johns Colliery, Wakefield and it alternated between
there and Park Hill Colliery, Wakefield, until the end of its working life in March 1977.
It has been in store at S. Harrison, Tinsley; then the South Yorks Preservation Society
at Penistone and Meadowhall; and the Elsecar Steam Railway, prior to coming to the
EVR.

A number of these locomotives were converted by the NCB to the gas production
system which entailed them being provided with underfeed stokers, and this also
required the conversion of the funnel to a characteristic conical design which Cathryn
now has. The "Railway Executive" plate which can be seen on the tank sides is a
licence plate which indicates that the locomotive is authorised for main line working:
so it is very likely that one of the collieries at which Cathryn worked had main line
exchange sidings which required her to make short journeys onto the main line to
despatch or collect wagons. Currently in blue, the principal livery of these small,
powerful engines was a handsome lined maroon. Though powerful, the class were not
renowned for smoothness of operation.

There are four others in preservation, one at the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam
Railway, one (S100, possibly also from Stanley) at the Chasewater Railway, one at
Quainton Road and one thought to be at the Llangollen Railway

         Builder           Hudswell Clark          Built                 1944
      Class or type           0-6-0 T            Works No                1884
         Weight                42 tons          Running No           102 Cathryn
       Brake Type                UF          Operational Status     Not operational
         Owner           Private Ownership        Arrived           7th March 2007




                                                                                      10
Steam locomotives Ferrybridge No 3 and Henry Ellison




These small steam locomotives were built at the Caledonia Works, Kilmarnock, of
Andrew Barclays and Sons Ltd in Scotland. They are 0-4-0 wheel arrangement saddle
tank engines (meaning the water tank is on top and around the boiler).

“No 3: Wee Yorkie” spent its working life at the Central Electricity Generating Board‟s
Power Station at Ferrybridge near Knottingly in Yorkshire, a period of some 16 years,
before being replaced in about 1970 by diesel engines. “Henry Ellison” spent its
working life at the Kilnhurst Tar Works of Yorkshire Tar Distillers near Swinton in
Rotherham, a period of some 23 years, before being made redundant about 1970.

Retired at about the same time, these locomotives were despatched to store at
Tinsley in Sheffield where they were to remain for some 35 years until being acquired
on long term loan by the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway Association, who have agreed to
restore them. There are a large number of this type of locomotive in preservation, in
particular with the Ayrshire Railway Preservation Society, the Swindon and Cricklade
Railway, Bowes Railway, East Anglian Railway Museum, Buckingham Railway Society
etc.

In the case of “Henry Ellison”, on arrival it was in a perfectly filthy condition, as the
method of keeping it intact was to pour lorry sump oil on it from time to time.
Primitive, but effective. It had (possibly) a black or dark green livery, or that may just
be tar, time will tell. Wee Yorkie had been kept under cover and its livery is intact.


         Builder          Andrew Barclays           Built               1954
      Class or type           0-4-0 ST            Works No               2360
         Weight                22 tons           Running No        No 3; Wee Yorkie
       Brake Type                UF           Operational Status      Operational
                                                                     nd
         Owner            On Loan to EVRA          Arrived         22 October 2005

         Builder          Andrew Barclays           Built                1947
      Class or type           0-4-0 ST            Works No                2217
         Weight                23 tons           Running No        N/A; Henry Ellison
       Brake Type                UF           Operational Status   Under Restoration
         Owner            On Loan to EVRA          Arrived         22nd October 2005




                                                                                        11
                                       Railcars

British Railways Railcar 79900 “Iris”




Class DL Diesel Railcar Driving Motor Brake Second (class) 79900
British Railways were a late starter in introducing diesel railcars. They had observed
other countries‟ experiences for several years before the Railway Executive
announced a £500,000 programme in November 1952 to introduce eight lightweight
units to the West Riding of Yorkshire. They were designed by a team headed by R.A.
Riddles, first Chief Mechanical Engineer of British Railways. The units were intended to
undergo a testing period before being built en-mass as the standard for use
throughout the country. Long before the first vehicles were complete though it was
announced in September 1953 that the scheme would be extended to include the
West Cumberland area, and to many other areas announced in February 1954. This
was entirely typical of the period, a mad rush to modernize the railway resulted in a
huge variety of locomotives and other vehicles being commissioned and their “test”
batches being extended into bigger productions runs before they were properly
tested, resulting in some wretched designs, though the Derby Lightweights were
largely successful.

In all 219 vehicles were built in 1, 2 and 4 car formations. The first entered service in
June 1954 in West Yorkshire. Railcar 79900 was, for many years, the railcar used on
the Branch line from Bletchley to Buckingham. The sets met with huge success,
starting a trend of greatly increasing passenger figures which most first generation
diesel railcars continued. The livery was engine green, though a very few survived
long enough to be repainted in rail blue, but not 79900 which became a department
unit for use as a route learner vehicle (driver training). As the Lightweights were non-
standard they were destined for early withdrawal, with the last withdrawn from
passenger use in 1969. A single car and a 2-car went into departmental use,
thankfully keeping them long enough to enter the DMU preservation era. These are
the only survivors of the 219 built. 79900 was previously at the Midland Railway
Centre, Butterley.

    Builder              British Railways     Built                1954
                         Derby Works
    Class or type        DL                Running No              79900
    Weight               27 Tons           Operational             Operational
                                           Status
    Brake Type           Vac               Arrived                 February 2008
    Owner                Private Ownership Seats                   61 2nd Class




                                                                                      12
British Railways Railcar 55006




Class 122 Driving Motor Brake Second. DMBS BR 55006
This vehicle was built as a single unit diesel railcar at Gloucester Works by the
Gloucester Carriage and Wagon Company in 1958, as one of a batch delivered in
1958, being a class 122 vehicle from Lot 30419, diagram number 539.

This class of vehicles initially went into service on the British Railways Western Region
and its lines around Birmingham, Stourbridge and Leamington Spa, and later some
London area branch lines. By the 1960s these units were concentrated on the West
Country branch lines. It appeared in various liveries (see note in vehicle 51073 below
about liveries in general) but was first outshopped in British Railways DMU green
being repainted around 1967 into rail blue and later, around 1980, into blue and grey.
In 1984 this unit was transferred to Longsight depot in Manchester for use on the
Stockport – Stalybridge line. However, it returned to the West Country in 1987 due to
problems being experienced with the replacements units, the class 142 pacers. It was
eventually replaced on the Looe, Newquay and St Ives lines in 1993 by class 153
units and later despatched to MC metals at Sheffield for scrapping in 1995, from
whence it was rescued for preservation by Mr M Evans, who is the proud owner, who
has restored it to its original livery. It is one of six examples in preservation.

         Builder        Gloucester Carriage         Built                1958
                          and Wagon Co
      Class or type            122               Running No             55006
         Weight              36 Tons          Operational Status     Operational
       Brake Type              Vac                 Arrived          February 2004
         Owner              Mike Evans              Seats            65 2nd Class




                                                                                      13
British Railways Railcar 51360




Comprised of: Class 117 Driving Motor Brake Second. DMBS BR 51360
This vehicle was built as part of a 3 car unit diesel railcar set at Paisley Works by the
Pressed Steel Company in 1959, as one of a batch delivered in 1960, being a class
117 vehicle from Lot 30546, diagram number 534/850.

This class of vehicles initially went into service on the British Railways Western Region
and its lines around Paddington, with some on certain Southern Region services from
Reading. This vehicle, part of set 444 was mainly used on Paddington, Slough and
Reading services. It appeared in various liveries but was first in British Railways DMU
green being repainted around 1967 into rail blue and from 1980 into blue and grey. It
was retained, late in its working life at Crewe, with the fairly unusual shed code of CQ
(Crewe, Railway Age Museum), where, as part of set 444 it was partnered by Trailer
Coach 59490, now in preservation at the Swansea Vale Railway and Driving Motor
Second 51402, now in preservation at the Northampton and Lamport Railway.

         Builder           Pressed Steel,           Built                1959
                              Paisley
      Class or type             117             Running No              51360
         Weight               36 Tons        Operational Status       Operational
       Brake Type               Vac               Arrived             March 2004
         Owner              Mike Evans             Seats              65 2nd Class




British Railways Railcar 56224
This DMU was sold to the Keith and Dufftown Railway in March 2010




                                                                                      14
British Railways Railcar 51505




Class 101 Diesel Railcar Driving Motor Composite 51505
Although ordered as part of a 3 car set, this vehicle was delivered as part of a 4 car
unit diesel railcar set built at Saltley in Birmingham by Metropolitan-Cammell, as one
of a batch delivered early in 1959.

This part of the class of vehicles initially went into service on the British Railways
Eastern Region allocated to Borough Gardens, a sub-shed of Gateshead, and was
initially used on services between Newcastle, Carlisle and Middlesborough.

This vehicle was first operated in British Railways DMU green livery 1959-1962, then
BR DMU green with cream lining and speed whiskers. From 1962-1970 this was
amended to BR green with cream lining, and a small yellow warning panel, then
1968-1975 into BR Rail Blue, then 1975-1988 in BR Blue & Grey livery, then finally
from 1988-1995 in Regional Railways livery of white and blue. All units had dark grey
roofs, black underframes & red buffer beams.

In latter years, the vehicle was part of a set based which operated around Cardiff
(1980s), then Manchester (1990s). The set was withdrawn from passenger service
about summer 2000.

The vehicle was brought to the EVR from the East Anglian Railway Museum at Chappel
and Wakes Colne. It is in the care of Railcar Enterprises.

         Builder          Met Cammell             Built               1959
      Class or type            101             Running No            51505
         Weight              32 Tons        Operational Status     Operational
       Brake Type              Vac               Arrived          12 June 2007
         Owner           Privately Owned          Seats             Originally
                                                                  12 1st; 53 2nd
                                                                   Now all 2nd




                                                                                   15
British Railways Railcar 51188




Class 101 Diesel Railcar Driving Motor Brake Second (class) 51188
This vehicle was built at Saltley in Birmingham by Metropolitan-Cammell in 1959, as
one of a batch delivered in October 1959. This part of the class of vehicles initially
went into service on the London Midland Region of British Rail and by 1965 was
operating on services around Birmingham.

This vehicle first ran in British Railways DMU green livery 1959-1962 with black
underframes and bogies, then BR DMU green with cream lining and speed whiskers.
From 1962-1970 this was amended to BR green with cream lining, and a small yellow
warning panel, then 1967-1975 into BR Rail Blue with brown underframes and bogies,
then 1975-1992 in BR Blue & Grey livery, then from about 1992-1995 in Regional
Railways livery of white and blue. Finally in about 1995 it was painted in Strathclyde
Passenger Transport Executive orange livery and remained in this livery through the
rest of its working life, withdrawal, storage and early preservation. It was returned to
Rail Blue in 2007.

In latter years, the vehicle was part of a set based which operated around Chester
(1980s), then Glasgow (1990s) and finally Manchester in 2000-2001. The set was
withdrawn from passenger service in 2001 making it almost the very last of its kind
on the National Network. This class of railcar had been an everyday sight throughout
the country and they were the longest serving railcars ever built in the UK, outlasting
British Railways itself.

The vehicle was brought to the EVR from the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley,
having been stored at Shoeburyness after withdrawal in Manchester. It is in the care
of Railcar Enterprises.

         Builder          Met Cammell              Built                 1959
      Class or type            101              Running No              51188
         Weight              32 Tons         Operational Status      Operational
       Brake Type              Vac                Arrived           16th July 2007
         Owner           Privately Owned           Seats             52 2nd Class




                                                                                     16
British Railways Railcar 51073




Class 119 Diesel Railcar Driving Motor Brake Composite (i.e. first & second class
seating). DMBC W51073
This vehicle was built as part of a 3 car unit diesel railcar set at Gloucester by the
Gloucester Carriage and Wagon Company, as one of a batch delivered in 1959, being
a class 119 vehicle.

This part of the class of vehicles initially went into service on the British Railways
Western Region allocated to Bristol, Tyseley (Birmingham), Cardiff and other depots.
This vehicle, part of set 594 (consisting of DMBC 51073, TBSL (Trailer Buffet Second
Lavatory 59435 and Driving Motor Second Lavatory 51105: its partner vehicles have
not survived) was first operated in British Railways DMU green livery 1959-1962, then
BR DMU green with cream lining and speed whiskers. From 1962-1970 this was
amended to BR green with cream lining, and a small yellow warning panel, then
1968-1975 into BR Rail Blue, then 1975-1988 BR Blue & Grey livery, then finally from
1988-1995 Network South East livery of red white and blue (Only those operation in
the NSE area). All units had dark grey roofs, black underframes & red buffer beams.
Some units in BR Green had white cab roofs, this went back as far as the drivers
door, adjacent to the passenger compartment.

In latter years, the vehicle was part of a set based at Reading depot for use on the
service between Reading and Gatwick Airport via Guildford. The set was withdrawn
from passenger service about 1993 and by October 1995 it had been moved to Gwent
demolition at Margam in South Wales to be scrapped and from whence it was saved
for preservation. This class of vehicles originally had extensive blue asbestos in them
and because the removal of this unsafe material was expensive (the removal has
been carried out on 51073) very few of this class survived, perhaps only 3 vehicles in
the whole country out of 150 sets. The vehicle was brought to the EVR from the
Midland Railway Centre at Butterley, prior to which it was at the Mid Norfolk Railway.
It is in the care of Railcar Enterprises.

         Builder         Gloucester C&W           Built                 1959
      Class or type            119             Running No              51073
         Weight              36 Tons        Operational Status    Under Restoration
       Brake Type              Vac               Arrived             May 2006
         Owner             Mike Evans             Seats             18 1st; 16 2nd




                                                                                      17
British Railways Railcar 50599




Class 108 Driving Motor Brake Second (DMBS) 50599

Having learnt from their experiences with the Derby Lightweight class of vehicles,
Derby Works set about designing a new class of lightweight vehicles using updated
technology with Leyland engines. The result was the Class 108. Leaving the works in
1958, 50599 was the first vehicle of what was to become a very successful class to be
built.

This vehicle was initially paired with 56190 and allocated to Darlington where it
worked in Brunswick green with cream lining and speed whiskers until the early
1960‟s when the speed whiskers were replaced by a small yellow warning panel. In
the late 1960‟s, the vehicles received the British Railways Blue livery with full yellow
ends in accordance with the new standards. 50599 ran in this livery until being
converted into Blue and Grey livery in the 1980‟s when it was chosen to partake in
the nationwide refurbishment programme. In 1983 all Class 108 vehicles that were in
the 50xxx series were renumbered to the 53xxx series to avoid confusion with the
Class 50 locomotives of the time (thus 50599 became 53599).

The set was withdrawn at some point between 1990 and 1993 and placed into
storage. 50599 was lucky as it was saved for preservation whilst partner vehicle
56190 was not so fortunate. After spending a significant amount of its preservation
years at the East Anglian Railway Museum where it was returned to its original
number, the vehicle moved to the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway.



         Builder            BR Derby                Built               1958
      Class or type             108             Running No              50599
         Weight               29 Tons        Operational Status      Under Repair
       Brake Type               Vac               Arrived            March 2010
         Owner            Privately Owned          Seats             52 2nd Class




                                                                                      18
British Railways Railcar 59303




Class 101 Diesel Railcar Trailer Second Lavatory (TSL) 59303
This vehicle was built at Saltley in Birmingham by Metropolitan-Cammell in 1957 as
part of Lot 30273 diagram BR623, delivered to Darlington in November of the same
year. It was initially classified as a Class 162 under the original TOPS system but
when the system was modified to what it is today it became a Class 101 vehicle to
match the power cars of the same type.

This vehicle was originally part of a three car set partnering vehicles 50746 and
50291 liveried in British Railways green. After taking on many other liveries in its time
the unit was unofficially retired in the summer of 1997 wearing Regional
Railways livery. Whilst being widely accepted as one of the most successful classes
of First Generation diesel railcar built, the majority of Class 101 TSL vehicles were
scrapped as British Rail converted sets from three cars to two cars so that they could
run on lighter routes towards the end of their working life, but a decision was taken to
keep 59303 along with just two other vehicles of the same type to be used in the
summer months to re-strengthen sets if passenger loads were predicted to be heavy.
Two of the vehicles kept (including 59303) were stored at Blackpool whilst the other
was sent elsewhere. In practice it became a hassle to add the centre cars into sets on
busy days and in the end the vehicles were left unused and unloved.
One of the vehicles from the original three car set 50746 was saved and is currently
based at the Wensleydale Railway but little is known what happened to the other,
unfortunately, it was probably scrapped.

Since being rescued from storage it has been extensively restored into British
Railways green. It needed significant body work due to being exposed to the sea air in
Blackpool for such a length of time. The restoration was carried out at the
Midland Railway Centre, Butterley before transferring to its new home on the
Ecclesbourne Valley Railway for use as both a Diesel Multiple Unit centre car and as a
hauled coach when required.


         Builder             Met-Cam                Built                1957
      Class or type             101             Running No              59303
         Weight               26 Tons        Operational Status    Under Restoration
       Brake Type               Vac               Arrived             April 2010
         Owner            Privately Owned          Seats             71 2nd Class




                                                                                       19
Powered on Track Vehicles: Steam

Crane and runner wagon




The crane is a steam crane, built by Taylor Hubbard in 1951, number RS 1057/10,
owned by Mr E Bradley, which is used for repairing the track and lifting heavy items,
capacity 10 tons. A few are preserved, another 10 ton version has a home at the
Chasewater Railway. RS 1057/10 has attached to it a runner wagon (DM3104), built
on a former carriage chassis of the London and South Western Railway, making this
vehicle one of the oldest on our railway, it having been originally built in 1904 at
Eastleigh. This runner wagon is not the original for this crane, they were paired
together at the Midland Railway Centre (Butterly) in 1982.

         Builder        Taylor Hubbard,           Built               1951
                            Leicester
      Class or type       Steam Crane          Running No          RS1057/10
         Weight            47.5 Tons        Operational Status   Not Operational
       Brake Type      None: Through Pipe        Arrived              2002
         Owner           Ernie Bradley




                                                                                   20
                                 Passenger Vehicles

Trailer Second Open Carriage




TSO 72617
This vehicle was built as Trailer Second Open Coaches at Derby Litchurch Lane
Carriage Works by British Rail Engineering Limited in 1973, as part of a batch
delivered in 1973-1974, being a Mark 2F locomotive hauled vehicle from Lot 30860.

It went into service on the London Midland Region main line between London St
Pancras, Derby and Sheffield where it remained for some 10 years. It was initially
outshopped in the blue and grey livery of the period. Replaced on the Midland Main
Line by the gradual introduction of High Speed Trains (HSTs) in 1983, conversion for
Southern Region Electric Multiple Unit use took place at Derby, the coach entering
works for conversion from December 1983 and being transferred to the Southern
Region from April 1984 before going initially to Strawberry Hill Depot for tests and
commissioning prior to moving to Stewarts Lane Depot for passenger service. It was
repainted into the later Intercity livery of white and dark grey with a red line. It was
based at Stewarts Lane for use on the rail-air service between London Victoria and
Gatwick Airport (Gatwick Express) until withdrawn from that front line service in late
2005. This vehicle was purchased from the Porterbrook Leasing Company and has
been in our care since February 2006.

         Builder          BREL, Derby              Built                1973
      Class or type           TSO               Running No             72617
         Weight             35 Tons          Operational Status      Operational
       Brake Type              Air                Arrived             Feb 2006
         Owner            Wyvernrail Plc                            48 2nd Class




                                                                                     21
First Open Carriage




                                  Original Photo by John Lewis
FO 72501
This vehicle was built as a First Open Coach at Derby Litchurch Lane Carriage Works
by British Rail Engineering Limited in 1973, as part of a batch delivered in 1973-1974,
being Mark 2F locomotive hauled vehicle.

It went into service on the London Midland Region main line between London St
Pancras, Derby and Sheffield where it remained for some 10 years. It was initially
outshopped in blue and grey. Replaced on the Midland Main Line by the gradual
introduction of High Speed Trains (HSTs) in 1983. Conversion for Southern Region
Electric Multiple Unit use took place at Derby, the coaches of this series entering
works for conversion from 3 December 1983, during which process it was repainted
into the livery shown in the picture, above. It was combined as a working set into a
two car unit (with TSO 72617 see above) and transferred to the Southern Region from
14 April 1984 going initially to Strawberry Hill Depot for tests and commissioning prior
to moving to Stewarts Lane Depot for passenger service. It was then based at
Stewarts Lane for use on the rail-air service between London Victoria and Gatwick
Airport (Gatwick Express) until withdrawn from that front line service in November
2005. This vehicle was purchased from the Porterbrook Leasing Company and has
been in our care since February 2006.

         Builder           BREL, Derby                 Built             1973
      Class or type            FO                   Running No           72501
         Weight              35 Tons             Operational Status   Operational
       Brake Type              Air                    Arrived          Feb 2006
         Owner            George Watson                               41 1st Class




                                                                                     22
LMS 27001 Brake Third Corridor




Built by British Railways after nationalisation to a modified 1930s Stanier design. The
only obvious external difference is the adoption of a 'porthole' shape for toilet and
vestibule windows. The design was a precursor to the standard BR Mark 1, steel
sections being employed for the corner framework and cant rails instead of the
traditional wood, end panelling is aluminium not steel. The other main difference is
the elimination of the wooden bottom rail and its replacement by metal sockets
welded onto the sole bar and locating the vertical wooden frame members. The use of
small sliding vents was introduced during the war by the LMS, BR perpetuated this
design until the end of the Mark 1 period in 1962. Internally half the length was a
guard's brake compartment utilising the two double sets of external doors, the
remainder consisted four passenger and one toilet compartment, all finished to LMS
design.

One of 559 LMS designed BTKs built by BR for front line services after the war,
originally painted in crimson and cream then maroon livery. In its final BR years fitted
with electric train heating and painted in BR blue/grey corporate livery. A photograph
of 27001 can be found in Essery and Jenkinson “LMS Coaches” book (1969 & 1977
editions) in service on the WCML. Sold out of BR service first to the Manchester Ship
Canal Company who stripped most of the interior for use as a mobile office/pay unit,
27001 had all windows fitted with external bars and named 'Rover'. Sold on to the
71000 Trust for use as a support coach and fitted with kitchen units in the toilet and
1960s Pullman car seats in the open saloon area. 27001 was then mothballed when
wooden framed stock was banned from the main line. Sold on to the Great Central
Railway where no further work was undertaken, it was re-sold to private owners who
undertook the external restoration at Darley Dale. Recently sold on again to the LMS
Carriage Association and moved to Wirksworth. Restoration is complete externally,
the interior has yet to be re-instated.


         Builder          BR, Wolverton            Built                1950
      Class or type        Brake Third          Running No              27001
                            Corridor
         Weight              30 Tons         Operational Status   Under Restoration
       Brake Type            Vacuum               Arrived           March 2010
         Owner               LMSCA                 Seats           24 Third Class

Copy for this item was kindly provided by Derek Mason of the LMSCA


                                                                                      23
LMS Third Open 27162




Built by the LMS these coaches were only the second lot of standard coaches to be
built post second world war, but constructed to a 7 bay pre-war Stanier design with
all-wooden framework. The coach is a “gangwayed open” or “vestibule” type with a
large smoking compartment (4 bays) and smaller non-smoking compartment (3
bays), two toilets were fitted at one end. 27162 is fitted with the standard pre-war
large sliding ventilators. Seating 56 in groups of four at each window bay with fixed
tables. Over 1000 of this type were constructed by the LMS during the company's
existence but none after nationalisation. The LMS favoured this type of layout for
many years, this being attributed to the weight saving per passenger with respect to
an equivalent side corridor type. It is interesting that only in the LMS's post war years
did the side corridor type outnumber the open type in any appreciable numbers. One
of only 350 built after the war whereas 2500 side corridor coaches were constructed
during the period.

Out shopped by the LMS, it would have been used for ordinary service trains all over
the LMS system. The vestibule coach was used for excursion and dining purposes too
and an attendant's bell push was located at each table. Liveries were LMS maroon,
crimson and cream then BR maroon, 27162 never carried blue/grey. After withdrawal
the interior was completely stripped and the vehicle used for exhibition train purposes
and stationed at Salisbury when not in use. Sold out of BR service it was purchased
by an enthusiast at Quainton Road initially as a workshop. Later sold on again to
other QRS members it became a stores vehicle. Purchased by the LMSCA in 2009, it
has since undergone external restoration by Rail Restorations North East at Shildon. It
will become the first LMS coach to have its interior reinstated for passenger services
at Wirksworth.




         Builder          LMS, Wolverton           Built                 1945
      Class or type       TO (Third Open)       Running No              27162
         Weight               30 Tons        Operational Status    Under Restoration
       Brake Type             Vacuum              Arrived            March 2010
         Owner                LMSCA                Seats            56 Third Class


Copy for this item was kindly provided by Derek Mason of the LMSCA



                                                                                       24
Regional Civil Engineer, District Engineer's Inspection Saloon DB999504
(currently M999504)




Between 1940 and 1947, the LMS built 14 District Engineer's Inspection Saloons for
permanent pay, civil engineering and signal & telegraph inspection purposes. The
carriages were propelled along the line by a single locomotive touring the district to
which they were allocated, two observation saloons, one at each end, enabled
engineering staff to inspect the line. A toilet, kitchen with attendant and a guard's
compartment were also provided. Out of course stops along the line could be made to
permit detailed inspection of items of interest. Inspection saloon to driver
communication was provided together with retractable vacuum operated steps for
track level egress. Meetings could also be held to examine observations and
determine any actions as required.

When British Railways required an additional five saloons of this type they decided to
perpetuate the LMS wartime design. As part of the 1957 Rolling Stock Program they
were built to a LMS diagram number but ordered using a BR wagon lot number,
unusual for a vehicle closely resembling a passenger carriage. The new vehicles
became DB999501 to DB999505 in the 999xxx purpose built series. 999504 was
coincidentally allocated to the RCE Derby District Engineer's Saloon and allocated to
Etches Park Traction and Rolling Stock Maintenance Depot in Derby. Today, four of
the 1957 batch survive, working on private railways.

999504 is painted in post-1956 BR lined maroon livery and numbered albeit
incorrectly as M999504. Whilst on loan to the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, it will be
used for entertaining, private hire and other special purposes.



         Builder           BR, Wolverton           Built                1957
      Class or type      Inspection Saloon      Running No            M999504
         Weight               31 Tons        Operational Status      Operational
       Brake Type             Vacuum              Arrived            March 2010
         Owner               On Loan               Seats                 13



Copy for this item was kindly provided by Derek Mason of the LMSCA




                                                                                        25
BR Mark1s 26157 and 34625

After the Second World War BR took over many life expired carriages from the 'Big
Four'. Rapid replacement meant introducing a standard 'go anywhere' design. The
main design features of the BR Mark1 were decided by the Carriage Standards
Committee and the detailed design of each type was then passed to one of the
regional design offices. The C1 outline stretched the cross sectional dimensions to its
limit by eliminating roof destination boards and guard's side lookout duckets. The new
coaches were all welded steel construction using standard cross sections and could
negotiate curves of 3.5 chains minimum radius and 6 chains minimum on a reverse
curve. As speeds increased and welded track became common, improved bogey
designs were introduced. Initially the double bolster BR1 as fitted to 34625 was used.
Later, mainline stock was updated with 'Commonwealth' cast steel bogies, as fitted to
26157. Later still the B4 bogey was fitted for 100mph running, but by then
replacement Mark2 coaches were being introduced.


26157




Ran initially on mainline expresses on the Eastern Region of BR as E26157. It was
withdrawn and sold to 'Trains for Pleasure' along with other Mark1s and stored at
Butterley. When that organisation closed down, 26157 was put up for sale and
purchased with others by Peak Rail plc. In 1992, 26157 was sold on again to a Peak
Rail member and restoration began and then deferred due to pressure of work on
other vehicles. In 1995 the Midland Railway Centre expressed an interest in operating
a Mark1 SK and 26157 went to Butterley on a long term loan basis in exchange for
completing its restoration. It became surplus a few years ago and will now be included
the initial locomotive hauled set for operations at Wirksworth.

         Builder            BR, York              Built                1962
      Class or type    SK(SecondCorridor)      Running No              26157
         Weight             37 Tons         Operational Status      Under Repair
       Brake Type           Vacuum               Arrived             April 2010
         Owner           Private Owner            Seats                  48




                                                                                    26
34625




Built for use on the Southern Region of BR as S34625 and painted in SR green livery.
Shedded at Clapham Junction, Selhurst, New Cross Gate and Ramsgate. Sold by
Network South East in 1990 for use as 44932's support coach and renumbered
99045. Only one mainline run was undertaken and 34625 has been stored at
Butterley virtually unused since. 34625 is wired for UIC electric heating for
compatibilty with European stock. Purchased privately in 2010, it will be restored to
running order for use in the initial locomotive hauled set for operations at Wirksworth.


         Builder         Gloucester C&W            Built                1955
      Class or type     BSK (Brake Second       Running No              34625
                             Corridor)
          Weight             37 Tons         Operational Status   Under Restoration
        Brake Type           Vacuum               Arrived            April 2010
          Owner           Private Owner            Seats                 32



Copy for this item was kindly provided by Derek Mason of the LMSCA




                                                                                      27
Gatwick Luggage Vans




GLV (48)9101 (68500). Class 489 Gatwick Luggage Van.

This vehicle was purchased by the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway from the Porterbrook
Leasing Company in December 2003 and has been in our care since that date. It is
now a museum vehicle.

The vehicle was built as a “2HAP” Motor Brake Second Coach at Eastleigh in
Hampshire by British Railways and delivered in August 1959 for phase 1 of the Kent
Coast Electrification.

It went directly into service in green livery, later with a small yellow panel on the cab
end from about 1964 until being painted blue with yellow ends by about 1970. From
late 1980, 2HAP units began being painted blue and grey. It was used on all the
routes in Kent covered by the South Eastern Division of British Railways but probably
also roamed much further afield as 2HAP units were frequently loaned between the
three Southern Region Divisions at times of stock shortages. The unit was withdrawn
from traffic in 1982 and after a short period in use as an additional load for driver's
training trips, was stored at Eastleigh Marshalling Yard awaiting rebuilding in the
works as a Gatwick Express Guards Luggage Van. This took place from 24 May 1983,
and this GLV (9101) was the first in the series. It was then based at Stewarts Lane
Depot for use on the rail-air service between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport
(Gatwick Express) until withdrawn from that front line service in 2002. At some point
in its service, however, it was collision damaged, as the warping of the interior
ceilings and door frames indicated when it arrived.


         Builder           BR, Eastleigh            Built               1959
                          BREL, Eastleigh          Rebuilt              1983
      Class or type            GLV              Running No              9101
         Weight              38 Tons         Operational Status     Museum Vehicle
       Brake Type               Air               Arrived             Dec 2003
         Owner            Wyvernrail Plc

Contributors to this vehicle‟s purchase were: Richard Buckby, Tom Birtwistle, Peter
Godfrey, Alpha Audio Visual (Video makers), Chris Beale, Colin Blower, Gary
Henshaw, Colin Davies, Paul and Jean Croughton, George Watson.




                                                                                      28
Gatwick Luggage Van (GLV): Driving Van Trailer
GLV 9107 (68506).
This vehicle was built as a “2HAP” Motor Brake Second Coach at Eastleigh in
Hampshire by British Railways and delivered in August 1959 for phase 1 of the Kent
Coast Electrification.

It went directly into service based at Ramsgate Depot, and was numbered 61292 as
part of unit 6094. It ran in green livery, later with a small yellow panel on the cab end
from about 1964 until being painted blue with yellow ends by about 1970. From late
1980, 2HAP units began being painted blue and grey and 6094 was also done. It was
used on all the routes in Kent covered by the South Eastern Division of British
Railways but probably also roamed much further afield as 2HAP units were frequently
loaned between the three Southern Region Divisions at times of stock shortages. Unit
6094 was withdrawn from traffic on 15 May 1982 and after a short period in use as an
additional load for driver's training trips, was stored at Eastleigh Marshalling Yard
awaiting rebuilding in the works as a Gatwick Luggage Van. This took place from 24
May 1983, the coach being out-shopped on 24 March 1984, completely rebuilt as GLV
68506. It was then based at Stewarts Lane Depot for use on the rail-air service
between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport (Gatwick Express) until withdrawn from
that front line service in May 2002.

This vehicle was kindly donated to the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway by the Porterbrook
Leasing Company in March 2003 and has been in our care since that date. It has been
converted to an exhibition and service carriage and is normally found marshalled at
the south end of the passenger coaches for push pull use with a locomotive.


         Builder           BR, Eastleigh            Built                1959
                          BREL, Eastleigh          Rebuilt               1983
      Class or type            GLV              Running No               9107
         Weight              38 Tons         Operational Status       Operational
       Brake Type               Air               Arrived              Feb 2003
         Owner            Wyvernrail Plc




                                                                                      29
Man Rider (Narrow Gauge)




This Man Rider arrived at the EVR in December 2008. It is used to transport
passengers on the narrow gauge railway in Wirksworth Yard. It has an air braking
system that allows the train to have a continuous brake. This system is quite unusual
as the compressor for the braking system remains on the side of the track. The man
rider‟s tanks are recharged from the compressor at the beginning of the day so that
the brakes can be applied or released.

The Man Rider was modified by Alan Keef Ltd for use on repairs to the Woodhead
Tunnel in the Peak District and then returned to their works at The Lea, Ross on Wye,
Herefordshire, before EVRA bought it. Alan Keef Ltd fitted brakes to meet HMRI
requirements. Since arriving at Wirksworth, further modifications have been made to
make it more comfortable for passengers.



       Brake Type              Air          Operational Status     Operational
         Owner                EVRA               Arrived            Dec 2008
                                                  Seats                 8




                                                                                   30
                        Ex Passenger and Support Vehicles

Departmental Tool Van




Departmental Tool Van Type BTU: ADB 977383
This vehicle was built as a mark one BSK (Brake Second Composite) passenger coach
at Wolverton works in Buckinghamshire by British Railways and delivered in 1955 for
passenger use, from lot 30156.

We do not know anything of its passenger use at the time of writing. It ran in maroon
livery from delivery until being painted blue and grey about 1970. At some point in its
career it was withdrawn from passenger traffic and stored to await rebuilding as a
departmental tool van. On conversion it was painted in a red livery, normal to this
type of rolling stock. It is recorded in 1995 as being in use as a jacking and re-railing
van at Stewart‟s Lane Depot in London.

Departmental Tool Vans are still relatively common vehicles, and a number survive as
on the national network. There are a number in preservation both as support vehicles
and in their original passenger state. This vehicle was moved to the Ecclesbourne
Valley Railway from the Mid Norfolk Railway at Dereham.

         Builder           BR, Wolverton             Built               1955
      Class or type       BSK, then BTU           Running No            977383
         Weight                34 Tons         Operational Status     Operational
       Brake Type              Air/Vac              Arrived            Feb 2004
         Owner           Railcar Enterprises




                                                                                      31
Newspaper Van




Newspaper Courier Van (Type NNX1):
NNX1 80214

This vehicle was built as a mark one BSK Brake Second Composite passenger coach at
Wolverton works in Buckinghamshire by British Railways and delivered in 1962 for
passenger use, from lot 30669, weighing 37 tons.

We do not know anything of its passenger use at the time of writing. It ran in maroon
livery from delivery until being painted blue and grey about 1970.

At some point in its career it was withdrawn from passenger traffic and stored to
await rebuilding as a newspaper courier van. On conversion it was painted in a red
livery, normal to this type of rolling stock.

Newspaper Courier Vans (and the similar bullion vans) were relatively common
vehicles until the early 1990s when the transport of newspapers by train ceased, a
few survive as departmental vehicles or support coaches on the national network and
there are a number in preservation both as support vehicles and in their original
passenger state. There were 1,500 BSK type coaches built over a ten year period in
the 1950s and 1960s.

         Builder         BR, Wolverton             Built              1962
      Class or type     BSK, then NNX           Running No           80214
         Weight              37 Tons         Operational Status    Operational
       Brake Type            Air/Vac              Arrived           Feb 2004
         Owner         Railcar Enterprises




                                                                                  32
                                 Engineering Wagons

Brake Vans




There are four brake vans

B955209 BR Standard 20 ton Brake van (Bauxite Brown). Owned by the Ecclesbourne
Valley Railway Association (EVRA). Built at BR Ashford workshops in 1962, lot no
3394. Cost the princely sum of £1471. Originally diagram 1/507, later diagram
CA006C under TOPS. It carries the standard 1960s Bauxite livery. Would have been
based in London area when new.

         Builder             BR, Ashford           Built               1962
      Class or type             CAO             Running No            955209
         Weight               20.5 Tons      Operational Status      Operational
       Brake Type                UF               Arrived              2002
         Owner                  EVRA

B954861 BR Standard 20 ton Brake van (Dark Grey, Red upper works). Owned by
EVRA. Built BR Darlington workshops in 1959, lot no 3227. Cost £1425. Originally
diagram 1/507, later diagram CA006C under TOPS, type CAP. Through air pipe fitted
'officially' in February 1985 at Doncaster works, but most likely actually November
1985 which is when it was repainted. The resulting change made the van diagram
CA006D, type CAR. It being repainted into the then new Railfreight red and grey
livery at the same time, which it still carries. In 1989 it was recorded as allocated to
MGR services - probably for propelling movements at a branch or colliery.

         Builder            BR, Darlington         Built               1959
      Class or type              CAR            Running No            954861
         Weight               20.5 Tons      Operational Status      Operational
       Brake Type                 UF              Arrived              2002
         Owner                  EVRA




                                                                                     33
B955104 BR Standard 20 ton Brake van (Light grey) Stored out of service. Owned by
Mr M Bromley. Built at BR Ashford workshops in 1962, lot no 3394. Originally diagram
1/507, later diagram CA006C under TOPS. It was converted to air piped at Doncaster
in January 1985 and will have been repainted into the same red and grey livery as
B954861 at the same time. The resulting change made the wagon to diagram
CA006D, type CAR. In 1989 it was recorded as allocated to the metals sub-sector of
the Railfreight sector of British Rail. By 1992 it was converted to design code RA001B,
type RAQ. It was repainted at the same time into the light grey livery with petroleum
sub-sector decals that it carries now. It was allocated at that time to Hereford Goods
Yard, for propelling movements into the oil terminal.


         Builder           BR, Ashford            Built                1962
      Class or type            CAR             Running No             954861
         Weight             20.5 Tons       Operational Status    Not Operational
       Brake Type               UF               Arrived               2002
         Owner            Martin Bromley




B950173. LMS pattern Brake Van, built by British Railways (BR) in 1949 at Derby. Of
lot number 2026, built to diagram 1/503. Owned by WyvernRail Plc and weighing 20
tons. Due to its design being of LMS origins, it appears in a pale grey livery with the
white lettering of the LMS railway. It was formerly based at Peak Rail having been
withdrawn from Trafford Park.

         Builder           BR, Derby              Built               1949
      Class or type           CAO              Running No            950173
         Weight             20 Tons         Operational Status      Operational
       Brake Type              UF                Arrived            Sept 2004
         Owner            WyvernRail Plc




                                                                                    34
Box Vans




                                        B 771392

There are four box vans on the line. Two are numbers 4031 (230126 of lot 4017) and
4039 (230306 also of lot 4017). They were built in 1982 at Horwich works and were
used by the Army Logistics Corps at their depot at Bicester. Number 4031 is owned by
Mr M Bromley. EVRA owns the other, which is used for a tool van in the works train.
They are in a green livery with yellow ends

         Builder          BR, Horwich              Built              1982
      Class or type            Box              Running No            4031
         Weight             12 Tons          Operational Status    Operational
       Brake Type              Air                Arrived           Jun 2003
         Owner           Martin Bromley

         Builder          BR, Horwich              Built              1982
      Class or type           Box               Running No            4039
         Weight             12 Tons          Operational Status    Operational
       Brake Type             Air                 Arrived           Jun 2003
         Owner               EVRA

The other two box vans were built at Wolverton for British Railways. Box vans were
used for the transport of general dry goods and other items around the railway
network before containers were invented. In the days when small railway stations also
had small goods yards this type of van was very common and could be seen in almost
any goods yard in the country. They were previously at Peak Rail and were completely
repainted into EVR Improved Box Van Brown on arrival.

         Builder         BR, Wolverton             Built              1957
      Class or type            Box              Running No          B771392
         Weight              12 Tons         Operational Status    Operational
       Brake Type              Vac                Arrived           Jun 2008
         Owner         Railcar Enterprises          Lot               2841

         Builder         BR, Wolverton             Built              1963
      Class or type            Box              Running No         B7784652
         Weight              12 Tons         Operational Status    Operational
       Brake Type              Vac                Arrived           Jun 2008
         Owner         Railcar Enterprises          Lot               3392



  Bogie Bolster Wagon E001
  was scrapped in May 2010



                                                                                  35
Grampus




                                         984302

There are two of these wagons. The first is DB984302, built in 1957 by the Butterley
Company, of lot 3048, diagram 1/572. The second is DB 988418 built in 1959 at
Ashford, of lot 3245, same diagram, where it was the last of its kind. Both wagons are
owned by Wyvernrail Plc. Grampus Wagons have low sides and were mainly used on
permanent way work for the removal of spoil and rubble from the track.

         Builder        Butterley Co, Ripley         Built              1957
      Class or type          Grampus              Running No           984302
         Weight               20 Tons          Operational Status    Operational
       Brake Type               Vac                 Arrived           Jun 2002
         Owner            Wyvernrail Plc

         Builder        BR Works, Ashford            Built              1959
      Class or type         Grampus               Running No           988418
         Weight             20 Tons            Operational Status    Operational
       Brake Type             Vac                   Arrived           Jun 2002
         Owner            Wyvernrail Plc


Mermaid




DB989256 14 ton side tipping ballast wagon, „Mermaid‟. Built Metropolitan-Cammell in
1959, lot no 3256. Diagram 1/575, later ZJ500B under TOPS, type ZJV. These wagons
had a relatively short life on the national rail network as they were found to be unsafe
in tipping with a tendency to trap people‟s arms and hands.

         Builder          Metro-Cammel,              Built              1959
                           Birmingham
      Class or type          Mermaid              Running No           989256
         Weight              14 Tons           Operational Status    Operational
       Brake Type              Vac                  Arrived           Jun 2002
         Owner             John Hicklin




                                                                                     36
Dogfish




24 ton Ballast hopper, „Dogfish‟. There are three of these wagons. DB983192 and
DB992732 were built at Chas Roberts in 1959, lot no 2939 and 2819 respectively to
diagram 1/587 later ZF501B under TOPS, type ZFV. These wagons are used very
frequently here to drop ballast on newly laid or newly repaired track. DB992904 was
built by Metropolitan Cammel to lot number 2820 also in 1959.

          Builder        Chas Roberts,            Built               1959
                           Wakefield
       Class or type        Dogfish           Running No             993192
          Weight           24.5 Tons       Operational Status      Operational
        Brake Type             Vac              Arrived             Jun 2002
          Owner          Martin Bromley

          Builder        Chas Roberts,            Built               1959
                           Wakefield
       Class or type        Dogfish           Running No             992732
          Weight            24 Tons        Operational Status      Operational
        Brake Type             Vac              Arrived             Jun 2002
          Owner          Martin Bromley

          Builder        Metro-Cammel            Built               1959
       Class or type        Dogfish           Running No            992904
          Weight           24.5 Tons       Operational Status      Operational
        Brake Type            Vac               Arrived            Sept 2005
          Owner            D Harvey

Rudd




Rudd DB985561 is a general purpose ballast and debris carrying wagon, they were
used extensively by British Railways for engineering work and permanent way work.

          Builder          BR, Shildon           Built                1953
       Class or type          Rudd            Running No             985561
          Weight            20 Tons        Operational Status      Operational
        Brake Type             Air              Arrived             Jun 2002
          Owner              EVRA


                                                                                  37
Tube Wagon




Tube wagon ADB730579 of lot 3288 diagram 1/448, was built in 1960 at Derby Works
and is used for the transport of sleepers and track parts in our permanent way train.
They were very common on British railways for moving similar items and for
engineering and permanent way work.

         Builder           BR, Derby             Built                1960
      Class or type           Tube            Running No             730579
         Weight            22.5 Tons       Operational Status      Operational
       Brake Type              Vac              Arrived             Jan 2002
         Owner           Martin Bromley




                                                                                  38
Shark




Shark DB993867 is a ballast plough. When ballast (stone) is laid on the track, the
ploughs at each end can be lowered to enable the wagon to move the ballast to cover
the track properly. It was built by the British Railways Carriage and Wagon Works in
1957 of lot number 3040.

          Builder           Birmingham             Built                1957
                        Carriage and wagon
                               Works
        Class or type          Shark            Running No             993867
           Weight            20.5 Tons       Operational Status      Operational
         Brake Type             Vac               Arrived             Jun 2002
           Owner               EVRA

Flatrol




DB900022 Flatrol MVV
One of a lot of only 3 built at BR Derby works in 1954, last of lot no 2613. There were
however 33 wagons to Diagram 2/512 in several lots. This wagon ended its days as
ZX056B under TOPS, type ZXR in departmental use. In theory the floor of the well
should be slightly arched when empty, straightening under load. These were used for
carrying high loads.

           Builder          BR, Derby              Built                1954
        Class or type         Flatrol           Running No             900022
           Weight            20 Tons         Operational Status      Operational
         Brake Type            Vac                Arrived             Jun 2002
           Owner              EVRA




                                                                                     39
Sturgeon




This wagon is used for moving rail or long items. It was built in 1956 by Head
Wrightson and numbered DB 994206, of lot no 2937, to diagram 1/647. This vehicle
was kindly donated to the railway by Mr J Blackmore and is owned by Wyvernrail plc.

         Builder         Head Wrightson,           Built               1956
                            Thornaby
      Class or type         Sturgeon           Running No             994206
         Weight             27.5 Tons       Operational Status      Operational
       Brake Type              UF                Arrived             Jan 2003
         Owner            Wyvernrail Plc

Tank Wagon




Number 6090, built in 1948, this tank wagon was used for the transport of fuel. It is
now owned by the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway Association and is in use in the
railway‟s weedkilling train. It formerly carried “Shell” logos.

         Builder         P&W MacLellen,            Built               1948
                            Glasgow
      Class or type          Tank              Running No              6090
         Weight            11.7 Tons        Operational Status      Operational
       Brake Type              UF                Arrived             Jun 2002
         Owner               EVRA




                                                                                    40
Lowmac




D B904508 Lowmac EP
One of a batch of 38 built by P W MacLellen in 1950, lot no 2187. To diagram 2/242
later ZX029C in departmental service under TOPS, type ZXW. These wagons were
originally for carrying small containers and other general vehicles.

         Builder        P&W Maclellen,          Built              1950
                           Glasgow
      Class or type        Lowmac           Running No            904508
         Weight            25 Tons       Operational Status     Operational
       Brake Type             Vac             Arrived            Jun 2003
         Owner          Martin Bromley




                                                                               41
                                  Display Vehicles
Water Tender




Acquired for the railway in August 2004, this bowser was donated to EVRA from the
National Collection by the National Railway Museum for restoration and display. It was
built to act as a water tanker for the Cromford and High Peak Railway (now the High
Peak Trail) and to service the small and remote settlements, where there was no
mains water, along the line. It is thought to have been built around 1894 using a
former LNWR Webb tender.

         Builder        London and North         Rebuilt              1894
                         Western Railway
      Class or type       Water Carrier        Running No              E003
         Weight             20 Tons         Operational Status     Display Only
       Brake Type              UF                Arrived            Aug 2004
         Owner                EVRA

Incline Coach
Formally tube wagon ADB732798 was scrapped in September 2009




                                                                                   42
Mineral Wagon




This wagon, built on an original mineral wagon chassis, is for display purposes, to
help demonstrate how stone was loaded from narrow gauge quarry wagons into full
sized wagons for transport on the main railway network. This wagon is permanently
stationed at Ravenstor. Rebuilt in 2004 and owned by EVRA.

         Builder           Unknown              Built             Unknown
      Class or type         Mineral          Running No              E004
         Weight            15 Tons        Operational Status     Display Only
       Brake Type             UF               Arrived            Jan 2004
         Owner               EVRA




                                                                                43
Narrow Gauge Tipper Wagons




There are five narrow gauge quarry tipper wagons, two near Baileycroft Tunnel
entrance (the narrow gauge tunnel) at the north end of the station yard and three at
Ravenstor. They were used for the manual collection and moving of limestone in local
quarries. This type of wagon was very common in old days for industrial uses. The
five wagons here have been rebuilt from scrap chassis, which vary in design. There
are no details of the original chassis builders or original build dates, but this type of
wagon was very common between 1850 and 1950.

         Builder         EVRA, Wirksworth           Built                 2004
      Class or type           Tipper            Running Nos              E005-9
         Weight             0.25 Tons         Operational Status      Display Only
       Brake Type               UF                 Arrived                2004
         Owner                EVRA




                                                                                       44