ENGLISH SEMESTER EXAM STUDY GUIDE
1. Write all 30 of your class spelling words below:
2. Write the 3 spelling rules we learned this semester. Be sure you understand the rules about plurals and
that you are able to make words plural properly even if they are not one of your spelling words!!
3. What is plagiarism?
4. What is the difference between brainstorming and researching?
5. What is a glossary? Where can you usually find it in a book?
6. What is an index? Where can you usually find it in a book?
7. What is a table of contents? Where can you usually find it in a book?
8. True or False: Plagiarism is cheating.
9. What are the 3 consequences for cheating at CCS?
10. If there is more than one publication city listed- which do you use?
11. If there is more than one copyright date given- which do you use?
12. If there is more than one author for a book-what do you do for your citation?
13. What is the "Triple Test"?
14. Describe in detail the 4 things you should look at on a website to know if it is a reliable source or not:
15. What domains (.com, .net, .org) are reliable and what domains are not reliable?
16. List 2 reliable sources of information you could use when doing research papers
17. List 2 unreliable sources of information you could use when doing research papers
18. Write out your class memory verse Ephesians 4:14-15 below:
19. Write the 5 stages of the writing process and write a short description of what each stage is:
20. Write the 4 parts of a proper paragraph:
21. What does it mean to have UNITY in a paragraph?
22. What is a topic sentence?
23. What is a supporting sentence?
24. How do you indent on a computer?
25. How long should a good paragraph be?
26. The topic sentence is usually the ________ sentence in the paragraph?
27. True or False: You should skip one line between every new paragraph.
28. True or False: Every paragraph must have a closing sentence.
29. What is another word for a closing sentence? What do some people call it?
30. What is an onomatopoeia?
31. Write 3 examples of onomatopoeias: 1. 2. 3.
32. What is foreshadowing?
33. Give an example of foreshadowing from Bridge to Terebithia:
34. What is a simile?
35. Write one simile:
36. What is the difference between a simile and a metaphor?
37. Write one metaphor:
38. Who wrote Bridge to Terebithia?
39. Tell me a little bit about her:
40. Who wrote On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness?
41. What is a thesaurus and what is it used for?
42. What is an atlas and what is it used for?
43. What is an almanac and what is it used for?
44. What does genre mean? What is another word for genre?
45. List 3 different kinds of genres of FICTION below:
46. What should you NOT focus on when writing your rough draft?
47. What SHOULD you focus on when writing your rough draft?
48. What is the difference between a biography and an autobiography?
49. What does a publisher do?
50. Where in a book would you look to find the COPYRIGHT DATE?
51. Where in a book would you look to find the AUTHOR'S NAME?
52. Where in a book would you look to find the TITLE?
53. Where in a book would you look to find the name of the PUBLISHER?
54. Where in a book would you look to find the PUBLICATION CITY?
55. List the main characters in On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness and give a short description of who
they are below:
56. Write a short summary paragraph of what happens in the book On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness:
57. List the main characters in Bridge to Terebithia and give a short description of who they are:
58. Write a short summary paragraph of what happens in Bridge to Terebithia:
59. Write a short paragraph below using at least one Bible verse telling me whether you believe Leslie went to
Hell or not and why.
60. On a separate sheet of notebook paper write a short properly formatted outline of some evidence that you've
learned about how the Bible is trustworthy and reliable. (stable it to this study guide)
61. On a separate sheet of notebook paper write a short properly formatted outline of what we have learned in
English class this semester. (staple it to this study guide)