Minutes of Marketing/ Community Relations Committee
18 April 2008
Members Present: Lee Bonds, Thomas Judge, Julia Wedekind, Medea Bern (chair)
Meeting was called to order at 6pm
RSS feeds-this is an add-on module that we select. Could use Scuttlebut, Kimball’s
SAIL column to start. TJ to explore, along with a notice on the homeepage that the RSS
feeds are now available.
Link to 505 2009 site to be posted on homepage by TJ
DL earned kudos for her work on the RATM flyers, lots of positive feedback. Need to be
posted on site.
ACTION ITEMS: Thomas to take care of three above tasks
Scripts for passing boats:
JW has a draft, comments by SR. Once completed, keeping Club’s external marketing
strictures in mind, need to distribute to the captains.
ACTION ITEMS: Julia and Susan to complete scripts and get them out to captains.
Other brochures that need work: Community pages, Race, Membership. Employees
should know this script.
ACTION ITEMS: JW to discuss with Ron, email her brochure to the entire committee
Opening Day: Grant and Alina have this covered. Consider putting a story about Junior
Sailors’ involvement in event-coordinate with Heinekens-for external media.
ACTION ITEM: MB to discuss with Janet H.
SFTS/Clean Regattas: Dan Pingaro, Club member, has joined SFTS as its ED. Once he
is settled in, he and his assistant Chris will give us the working papers with program
parameters. Committee will need to use this and create a proposal to send to the board in
hope the program will be adopted.
ACTION ITEM: MB to coordinate with Dan and bring the working paper to committee.
Junior Sailing: No report-Janet H. resigned from committee.
Ketch All Online: Grace is still working on taking this site live. LB suggested we ask
Ron/Grace whether we might serve as ‘guinea ‘pigs’ for the site for 4-7 days before it
ACTION ITEM: MB to discuss with staff.
Webcam: TJ suggested exploring sponsorship for the webcam-might reduce the cost.
Could also rent a webcam for a short term as a pilot prior to investing in hardware.
ACTION ITEM; TJ to explore and report back.
Internal vs External marketing:
? Should our mission statement be on the website? Need to discuss with Board.
? One-third of members are single-has dining considered putting certain tables aside in
the Grill for single members as we now do with the large tables?
We should review the Member’s Survey once results are in: may be able to suggest
internal marketing initiatives once that document is available.
Ninth Moored Houseboat at Tinsley:
Need an eblast-target for Tinsley-registered eblast users, and add as part of the general
eblasts during the bid period ( 23 May until 4th july weekend.) Must make it clear what
the bidder is bidding for. Need to confirm who will maintain the daily bidding updates
during the bid period. Need to check with George Dort, TIC chair, to learn whether he
has remote bidding in mind for the three finalists in the event one or more is unable to be
at Tinsley for the ‘finale’.
ACTION ITEM: MB to confer with GD on the above issues.
505 Promo Video:
ACTION ITEM: LB will gathering footage from former races and will work with TJ to
create a prototype that can go on the website.