Business & Marketing Education
Regional Department of the Year Contest
School District Name:_____________________________________________________
School District Address:__________________________________________________
High School Name: _______________________________________________________
High School Address:______________________________________________________
Contact Person for Department:_____________________________________
Contact Person's Email Address______________________________________
Business Department’s Website Address_______________________________________
Business Department’s or School’s Phone Number:_______________________________
Number of Certified Business Teachers in Department___________
Number of Certified Business Teachers who belong to BTA_______________
Region of State (Please circle one)
Region 1: Nassau, Suffolk
Region 2: Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens, Richmond
Region 3: Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster, Westchester
Region 4: Albany, Columbia, Greene, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Warren,
Region 5: Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Jefferson, Lewis, St.Lawrence
Region 6: Fulton, Hamilton, Herkimer, Montgomery, Oneida, Schoharie
Region 7: Cayuga, Cortland, Madison, Onondaga, Oswego
Region 8: Broome, Chemung, Chenango, Delaware, Otsego, Schuyler, Steuben, Tioga,
Region 9: Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, Seneca, Wayne, Wyoming,
Region 10: Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Niagara, Allegany
One award for each category will be given in each region of the State for a total of 20
schools being recognized for their outstanding work. The categories are dependent on
department size and are listed below:
Regions 1, 3, 9, 10: Category A= Departments with 4 or more business teachers
Category B= Departments with 1-3 business teachers
Region 2: Category A= Departments with 7 or more business teachers
Category B= Departments with 1-6 business teachers
Regions 4, 5, 6, 7, 8: Category A= Departments with 3 or more business teachers
Category B= Departments with 1-2 business teachers
Note: For number of teachers in the business department, please use full
time equivalents. Example: A department with 3 full time teachers and 2
teachers at 0.5 is equal to a department of 4 not 5.
Please include two copies of your application and a narrative of no more than 5
SINGLE PAGES (not double sided) . Deadline for submitting: to be received no later
than Friday, June 12.
New York State Education Department
Room 315 EB
Albany, NY 12234
c/o Jon Greenwalt
A. Please list the names and email addresses of all business/marketing teachers in
B. What is your total school enrollment in grades 9-12?
C. What is your total enrollment in all business/marketing courses combined?
D. What courses (identify 5) have the largest enrollments? Combine sections.
E. Identify 3 courses that have seen the largest enrollment increase in the past three
INSIDE THE SCHOOL
Please provide a narrative that bests describes the accomplishments of your
department in the areas below. Please keep in mind that you do not necessarily
have to have all components to be considered for the award.
1. Identify any new courses you have added in the past two years with total enrollment
in each course. Include a course outline for the new course that you are most proud
of with this application.
2. Describe any new courses that are planned for the 2009-10 school year.
3. Does your department have an advisory board to the business department? If yes,
describe its function and provide a list of members with their affiliations or titles.
4. Has your department submitted any programs for CTE approval? If “yes”, please
identify the program.
5. Explain any interdisciplinary projects or strategies your department is using to help
students pass the required Regent's examinations.
6. Describe any "specialized" courses students are using for Mathematics, Science,
English, or Social Studies credit and enrollments in each.
7. Describe how your department is offering students the opportunity to earn college
credit while in high school. Describe the courses, numbers of students, and colleges
you are working with.
8. Describe the two most interesting projects that your department conducts with
9. Describe any industry assessments your student's take to earn advanced standing or
an industry certificate.
10. Describe how you are recognizing the accomplishments of your students, either by
participating in the NYS Business/Marketing Honor Society or by other means.
11. Explain how participation in student leadership organizations or other business
clubs is integrated into your business/marketing department. Indicate the student
leadership groups or clubs and numbers of students participating.
12. Explain how students are experiencing work based learning either through
internships, job shadowing, or cooperative work experience. Indicate the number of
students that participate in work-based learning.
13. Please indicate whether you have served as a host for a student teacher in business
and marketing education. Identify the college and the college instructor you have
OUTSIDE THE SCHOOL
14. Describe the various public relations efforts your department uses to promote itself
(e.g. websites, bulletin boards, posters, school paper, brochures, student recognition
15. Explain how your department seeks the involvement of business and industry,
parents and the community.
16. Describe any staff/professional development activities that your staff have attended
in the past two years to remain updated in their content area or education in
general. i.e. summer workshops, regional conferences, BTA state conference etc…
What additional staff development opportunities would you like to see provided by
SED or by BTA?
17. Describe any other facets of your department that you feel are exemplary and
should be recognized.