Comprehending Informational Texts
from Virginia Department of Education 2004
English SOL Enhanced Scope and Sequence for Grades 9-12:READING
• The student will identify format, text structure, and main idea.
• Two editorials on the same topic
• Overhead projector and transparencies
• Copies of the Editorial Jot Chart, copied on two sides (see next page)
1. Provide the class with copies of two editorials from the local paper on the same topic. Distribute
Jot Charts, and have the students read the two editorials and complete one side of the chart.
2. Have the students share with the class the information they used to complete the chart. Record
information on an Editorial Jot Chart transparency on the overhead.
3. Assign students the task of finding and bringing into class two additional editorials. Have the
the editorials that they were assigned to bring in for homework and then complete the other side of
4. Have the students choose one of the editorials and write a paragraph about how the writer’s
examples and diction further his/her purpose.