Highland Oaks Middle School
Parent Involvement Policy
Highland Oaks Middle (HOM) will encourage a strong home-school partnership to ensure a safe, caring
and challenging environment where all students, parents and school staff work well together. Both parents
and teachers will assume the role of active partners in the educational process at HOM. To achieve these
goals, the HOM staff will take the following actions to involve parents in the joint development of its
school parental involvement plan under section 1118 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act
1. A fall parent meeting will be conducted to explain the HOM Title I School-wide project. The Parent
Policy, Student/Teacher/Parent Contract and parent involvement opportunities for the coming year will be
clearly communicated. The school will provide an overview of the curriculum offered at each grade level.
Curriculum guides will be available for parent inspection in the Title 1 Facilitator’s (Ms. Foxx) office and
2. The school will include parents as members of the Title I School-wide Planning Committee and elicit
parental input into the planning and implementation.
3. Agenda books, teacher web pages, your child and school-wide or team newsletters and/or newspaper
will be used to communicate items of general interest, parenting tips, and announcements of upcoming
school and system-wide parent meetings.
4. Parent-teacher conferences will be held in the fall and spring to discuss and interpret individual student
progress, review the Contract and address any aspects of parental involvement and concerns. Teachers will
remain in touch with parents regarding student progress via interim reports, phone calls, emails, weekly
papers, PowerSchool parent portal and individual conferences as needed.
5. An annual review of the school-wide program and parental involvement policy will be conducted near
the end of the year. Parents will be given an opportunity to offer suggestions and express what they felt
worked well in the Title I School-wide program.
6. The school will stress the value of parent input and participation in school activities such as Curriculum
Day/Nights, Parent Resource Room, Parent-Student Activity Nights, DOGS, etc. A suggestion box and
computer will be set up in the Parent Resource Room. Surveys will be sent home periodically to solicit
parent input. Parents will also be encouraged to bring suggestions and concerns to their child’s teachers or
the Title 1 Facilitator for discussion. The school will respond to suggestions through direct response to
parents or by articles in the school or team newsletters.
7. The Title I Facilitator and School Counselors will review and provide assistance and support to the
overall parent program at HOM.
8. Resources will be provided to institute a lending library of parenting materials.
9. HOM staff and parents will work together to provide a meaningful way to improve our students’
Shelby County Schools offers educational opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex or disability.