Fixed prosthodontics laboratory protocol
Crown & Bridge
1. Upon successfully completing an impression and receiving faculty approval, the
student must show the GPD the impression (preferably while the patient is still
present). The GPD must sign a form authorizing the pouring of the Impression.
2. The student brings the Impression and the prescription to the laboratory directly
for the pouring of a master cast. (Note student pours all other cast and contour
3. Student picks up cast from CDL 24 hours later.
4. Student shows faculty the cast for approval. If approved, bring the completed
prescription form, signed by the faculty, and submit it to the GPD for approval:
i. Master cast with impression
ii. Counter model
iii. Any occlusal records
iv. Completed prescription form
5. The GPD approves the case, signs the prescription and the case is submitted to
CDL for processing
6. Dr. Panno and staff serve as quality assurance and review the:
a. Preparations for
i. Sharp edges
ii. Reverse lip if a chamfer Preparation
iii. Clarity of the finish line
iv. Occlusal clearance
b. Prescription clarity
c. Occlusal record
7. If the submitted material is not acceptable the case is returned to the GPD with
explanations. Student interacts only with faculty and GPD.
A. Crowns: Laboratory returns completed crown in approximately two weeks
B. Fixed bridge: Metal frameworks for multi-unit bridges are returned as a single
casting where possible. Three unit bridges should return as a single framework.