CUSTODIAL SERVICES SAFETY INSPECTION CHECK LIST
Please complete this form each month carefully inspecting each area listed and forward a copy to Support Services. Keep
a copy for your files. List each item requiring correction in the REMARKS section and IDENTIFY THE AREA,
BUILDING, AND ROOM IN EACH CASE.
Inspected By: Date:
1. Are all materials used in your school checked for toxicity and kept in locked approved storage?
2. Are Science acids and chemicals kept in approved locked cabinets?
3. Are there safeguards to control handling of glass test tubes and containers used in science? (i.e., lubricate
glassware with glycerol of water, applying undue pressure or stain to glassware).
4. Are appropriate protective items used, (i.e., goggles, gloves, aprons, shields), where there is any danger of
flying particles or corrosive materials endangering employees/students?
5. Are gas lines and junctions in science rooms regularly inspected for weaknesses or leaks?
6. Is custodial equipment parked in safe location and out of main traffic flow?
7. Are safeguards enforced when electrical or power equipment operated around/near students?
8. Are hand tools and equipment regularly inspected for safety?
9. Are table saws, and other shop equipment positioned where operator may maneuver materials to perform work
safely without interference of other equipment or people?
10. Are safety guards provided, secured, and maintained on all moving parts of mechanical equipment?
11. Are students/employees prohibited from working with or near machinery wearing loose clothing, long hair, or
jewelry which may become tangled in moving parts of machinery?
12. Are kitchen hoods, filters, ducts, and ventilation system kept clean of grease accumulation?
13. Are refrigerator and freezer motors and cooling coils clean?
14. Insert date when heating & air-conditioning filters were last changed.
15. Are no smoking signs posted in areas with flammable materials? (i.e. gas, duplicating fluid, etc.)
16. Does your facilities (Particularly restroom, meet Health and Safety codes? Cleanliness)
17. Are protective measures used to protect employees on wet floors, platforms, and ladders?
18. Are oil mops, rags, and other cleaning supplies stored in metal compartment?
19. Is the campus kept clean from debris? (i.e. waste paper, broken glass, etc.)
20. Are sidewalks swept daily to prevent dangerous buildup of sand and debris?
21. Are storage rooms with fire protection sprinklers, maintaining 18 inch clearance beneath sprinkler heads?
ELECTRICAL AND GAS
22. Are all electrical panels clean?
23. Is defective electrical equipment, including extension cords, removed from premises?
24. Are approved extension cords used?
25. Are extension cords used to power only one item at a time?
26. Are wall receptacles free from multi-plug adapters? (Only power strips with circuit breaker allowed)
27. Are non-double insulated power equipment, (drills, saws, etc.) properly grounded?
28. Are electric irons equipped with automatic heat controls or signals?
29. Are main gas line shut-off valves accessible?
30. Is there a 30-inch clearance maintained around main electrical panel?
31. Are all ventilating equipment, motors, heating, and cooling systems clean and free from excessive dust and
32. Are all exits clearly indicated, visible, exit lights illuminated, and unobstructed?
33. Are hallways, aisles and fire escape routes unobstructed?
34. Is furniture and equipment placed so occupants can quickly and safely evacuate rooms?
35. Are exterior doors with panic bar latch systems, tested each week to insure ease of operation?
36. Does the panic bar latch system lock door securely?
37. Are locking devices on exit doors unlocked at all times during business hours?
38. Is classroom and office furniture inspected for sharp corners and edges and repaired?
39. Are ladders in safe condition? (metal ladders unacceptable)
40. Is chemically hazardous materials quantity limited and stored in secure place?
41. Are all automatic door closures operating correctly, including all storage and furnace rooms?
42. Are employees trained and aware of procedures involving fire and other emergencies?
43. Are first-aid supplies adequate for your work areas?
44. Are fire extinguishers installed every 150 feet?
45. Are employees trained in using fire extinguishers?
46. Have fire extinguishers been inspected within the last 12 months?
47. Has the inspection tag on fire extinguishers been initialed each month?
48. Are signs “Fire Extinguisher Inside” posted on every door of any room containing a fire extinguisher?
49. Are larger woolen blankets readily available in kitchens and science laboratories for use of fire?
50. Has a fire drill been conducted and reported within the last month?
51. Is fire alarm system operating within the “Normal” operating zone?
OBSERVATION: If fire alarm has been in the trouble zone, indicate
52. Are emergency phone numbers clearly posted?
53. Is at least one person assigned the responsibility of ensuring all doors and windows are locked and
unnecessary lights turned off?
54. Are directions clearly visible directing traffic? (Parking lots)
55. Are signs “NO SKATEBOARDS OR BICYCLES ALLOWED” clearly visible?
56. Are play areas free from dangerous holes or debris? (i.e. broken glass, sharp metal)
57. Are sidewalks and asphalt areas in good condition, with no tripping hazards?
58. Are gas and gas powered equipment stored in approved storage containers/areas?
REMARK WORK ORDER SUBMITTED
Reset Form Revised 2-12-2003