Central Arizona College
8470 N. Overfield Rd.
Coolidge, AZ 85228
Phone: (520) 494-5206 Fax: (520) 494-5212
ENG 090 English Composition I
Catalog Description: An introduction to the writing process emphasizing idea
development, organization, and revision, as well as grammar and
mechanics, in sentences and paragraphs.
Credit Hours: 3
Effective Term: Fall 2008
Terms Offered: All Terms
Teaching Methods: Lecture
Prerequisite(s): Appropriate writing assessment score.
Times for Credit: 1
Grading Option: A/F
Credit Breakdown: 3 Lectures
Cross Listed: N/A
Learning Outcomes: 1. Demonstrate understanding of the basic rules of punctuation.
2. Write clear and fluid sentences.
3. Recognize and revise mechanical, grammatical, and spelling
4. Revise sentences and paragraphs to eliminate irrelevant
5. Utilize the writing process, including inventing, planning,
drafting, developing, revising, and editing.
6. Respond appropriately to various writing situations and
7. Demonstrate ability to write well-developed paragraphs.
8. Demonstrate audience awareness and logical structure in
9. Write multiple paragraphs focusing on one topic.
Central Arizona College
ENG 090 - English Composition I
Page 2 of 2
Standards: 1. Compose correct sentences using a variety of punctuation
2. (a) Construct effective sentences representing all four types -
simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex.
(b) Choose words with correct denotation and connotation to
3. (a) Proofread own work to correct a variety of mechanical,
grammatical, and spelling errors.
(b) Identify and correct a variety of mechanical, grammatical,
and spelling errors in peer-produced texts.
(c) Identify and correct a variety of mechanical, grammatical,
and spelling errors in teacher-generated materials and other texts.
4. (a) Proofread own work to eliminate irrelevant material.
(b) Identify and eliminate irrelevant material in peer-produced
(c) Identify and eliminate irrelevant material in teacher-
generated materials and other texts.
5. (a) Produce multiple prewriting samples that reflect various
(b) Produce writings, passages, or other texts that, from
assignment to final product, show improvement in focus,
development, organization, and surface features such as grammar
6. Create texts which appropriately and completely respond to
7. (a) Create suitable topic sentence(s).
(b) Choose and include appropriate and adequate supporting
8. Utilize details, patterns, organizational structures, vocabulary,
and content that effectively respond to audience needs.
9. Construct writings that maintain unity and coherence and
adequately support a main idea.