Travel Document Application for Permanent Residents Abroad by keara


									Travel Document Application for Permanent Residents Abroad

1. Introduction

As of 28 June 2002, all immigrants to Canada are issued a Permanent Resident card,
which serves as an official proof-of-status document. The Permanent Resident card is
mandatory for permanent residents wishing to re-enter Canada aboard any
commercial carrier (aircraft, boat, train or bus). A permanent resident is someone who
has been allowed to enter Canada as an immigrant, but who has not become a
Canadian citizen. They must therefore be able to show both a valid foreign passport
and a valid Permanent Resident card before any airline will permit them to board a
plane destined to Canada. A Permanent Resident card can be applied for and
received only in Canada. For information about applying for a Permanent Resident
card, please consult the following website:

The Permanent Resident card replaces the paper IMM 1000 Record of Landing
document which used to be issued to Canadian immigrants, and which is no longer
valid as proof of status to return to Canada from abroad.

Persons who claim to be Permanent Residents of Canada who do not have a
Permanent Resident card because they left Canada having failed to apply for one,
having applied but not yet received the card, or, their card was lost or stolen, cannot
return to Canada unless they apply for and are granted a Travel Document by a
Canadian Visa Office abroad.

2. What is a Travel Document?

A Travel Document is a visa-like document issued in the passport of permanent
residents of Canada who are outside of Canada and who do not possess a Canadian
Permanent Resident card to demonstrate their status as permanent residents. The
Travel Document issued abroad to a permanent resident under Section 31(3) of the
Immigration and Refugee Protection Act provides the holder of the document with
proof, in principle, of their status as a permanent resident of Canada for the purpose
of travel to Canada. It is issued by visa offices at Canadian Embassies and missions
abroad in cases where a permanent resident outside of Canada has lost, or has failed
to obtain, a Permanent Resident card indicating that they are a permanent resident of
Canada. The Travel Document is issued to permanent residents who need to
demonstrate to representatives of a transportation company that they are entitled to
re-enter Canada as permanent residents. Canadian Visa Services abroad, such as
our office at the Embassy of Canada in Prague, do not issue Permanent Resident
cards. The Travel Document is issued to provide the permanent resident without a
card the possibility of returning to Canada to obtain their Permanent Resident card.
Travel Documents are therefore usually issued for only one entry to Canada.

3. Maintaining Permanent Resident Status
Permanent residence status gives a non-Canadian citizen the right to live in Canada.
Permanent residents must comply with certain residency obligations to maintain their

Permanent residents comply with the residency obligation if for at
least 730 days (2 years) in every five-year period they are physically
present in Canada.

Important Note: the following special circumstances provide for days
abroad which can be counted as if they were days spent physically in
Canada when applicants:

> are outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or
common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent, or
> are outside Canada employed abroad on a full-time basis by a Canadian business
or in the public service of Canada or of a province, or
> are outside Canada accompanying a permanent resident who is their spouse or
common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent, and who is employed
abroad on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the public service of Canada
or of a province.

To be issued a Travel Document, permanent residents will have to document for the
Immigration Officer that:
   * they have met the residency obligation in respect of the five-year period
       immediately before the examination (if they have been permanent residents for
       over 5 years), or
   * they will be able to meet the residency obligation in respect to the five-year
       period from the date at which they became permanent residents (if they have
       been Permanent Residents for less than 5 years), or

   * they meet the requirements for living abroad without losing their residency

4. Demonstrating residency

A link below will lead you to an information guide. However, to facilitate and
accelerate the processing of an application, applicants are reminded that it is
important to provide relevant documentation with the application form to the
Immigration Officer when submitting an application:

>>> The following documents are useful, but do not demonstrate sustained
    residency in Canada: Provincial driver’s license, Social Insurance card,
    Provincial medical card, or a photocopy of a Permanent Resident card issued to
    the applicant.
    A Travel Document will not be issued on the sole basis of such documentation.
>>> Examples of relevant documentation which can be provided :

   * Employer letter(s) or pay stubs indicating the length of employment in
   * Yearly income tax reports showing Canadian sources of employment
   * Letters from ordained religious persons confirming time spent living in
   * Letters from medical, social, or legal officials, following professional
      contacts with the applicant, confirming periods of time spent in Canada
   * Rental contracts (housing, car, or others) helping to confirm time spent in
   * Any other documentation which is verifiable and can serve to demonstrate
      sustained residency in Canada for specific periods of time and/or
      confirm specific periods of time spent outside of Canada under special
      circumstances described above in section 3

   1) Applicants can bring with their application documentation faxed to them from
       Canada, or, have such documentation faxed to the Visa Section of the
       Embassy of Canada in Prague (420/272-101-890) with an explanatory
       covering note indicating the name of the applicant(s), and the file number if it is
   2) If a Permanent Resident Card has been lost or stolen, a Police Report must be
       included with the application
   3) Applicants should provide the tickets, if available, of their original flight from
       Canada to Europe, or at least the portion indicating their departure date from

5. Travel Document Processing Fee

Fees are charged for the processing of Travel Document applications, and the fees
are not refunded in the event a Travel Document is refused. The fee of $50
(Canadian) must be paid at a CSOB bank in Czech Crowns (the bank will determine
the appropriate exchange rate), and the original receipt must be presented with the
application. Our account number for cost recovery fees is: 479695093/0300.
Please note that a processing delay would occur if the fee payment was made via a
bank transfer from another bank to the CSOB bank, rather than directly deposited to
our account at a CSOB branch. This delay is estimated to be around one month.
Please pay the fee at a branch of the CSOB bank only.

6. Processing time

A travel Document cannot be issued until satisfactory documentation has been
provided and verified to demonstrate either the required sustained physical residency
time spent in Canada, or that the applicant meets requirement for an extensive stay
outside of Canada without losing their Permanent Resident status. In some cases, if
the relevant documentation has been provided on the morning of the application, and
the application form has been completed properly, the Travel Document can be
issued the same day, in the afternoon. In all other cases, delays may vary depending
on the time required to obtain relevant documentation. An interview is usually
required once all documentation has been received.

It is particularly important that applicants answer all questions on the application form.
For any question which is not applicable, the applicant should write “N/A”.

It is essential that applicants indicate, to the best of their knowledge, the numbers of
days spent in Canada as a Permanent Resident in question #15 (“Time spent in
Canada”), and/or for question #17 concerning time spent abroad under special
circumstances (described in section 3 above). Actual numbers and the actual total
of days MUST be entered by the applicant, and cover the last five years, if the
applicant has been a Permanent Resident for more than 5 years, or, for the
period since the applicant became a Permanent Resident of Canada, if it was
less than 5 years.

Time spent in Canada under any other status (student, temporary worker,tourist) prior
to becoming a Permanent Resident are not to be counted.

Application forms where the NUMBER OF DAYS spent in Canada as a Permanent
Resident, for the appropriate period(s) do not appear, or where periods of time are
missing in question #15, will not be processed and will be returned to the applicant for
completion (the same applies for question #17, if it concerns an applicant). Delays are
often caused by incompletely filled application forms.

7. How to apply
To apply you will need:

       •      to complete one application form for each applicant. The form can be
              downloaded from the following link:
       •      at least one completely empty page in a valid passport
       •      one photograph for each applicant with the name and date of birth on
              the back side; the photograph MUST meet visa specifications which you
              can find at the following link:
       •      the original bank receipt showing that you have paid the processing fee
       •      in case of accompanying minor children travelling with only one parent,
              a notarized consent document signed by the other parent for the child to
              travel with the applicant
       •      complete documentation demonstrating that you meet requirements as
              a Permanent Resident of Canada, and have not lost your status

To top