Subject: Vocational Education
Course: 8th Grade Family & Consumer Science
Unit 1: Personal Grooming & Skin Care
Performance Task 1.1 -
Understands and applies healthful grooming practices.
(FCS.8.22) - Demonstrate personal hygiene, cleanliness, and appropriate dress
(a). 1.Students write their description of a well groomed student.
2. View video on grooming
3. View video discussion with determetologist
4. View video section on hair styles & hair care or listen to a guest speaker.,
5. In partners, students assess their face shape & discuss best styles.
6. View video on skin & hair care and skin cancer.
7. Class discussions.
8. Students walk around room demonstrating good posture.
9. Students weigh their backpacks to determine if they are carrying too much
10. Students clean and file fingernails.
11. Discussion on students’ reaction to good vs. poor grooming.
1. Overhead transparencies: Student grooming descriptions
Notes on skin structure, functions & care
Caring for skin problems
2. AEA V04476 "How Do I Look Grooming"
3. Department video "Let's Face It" - Part 2
4. Wall chart on face shapes, nail care, & skin types
5. Department video "Skin Wellness"
6. AEA V06839 "Skin: It's All Around You"
7. Student filled backpacks
8. AEA V16187 "Tattooing & Body Piercing:..."
Unit 2: Room Space & Design
Performance Task 2.1 -
Examine and apply the concepts of space and design in a living environment
(Fa-VA.2.4.3) - Knows how organizational principles and functions can be used
to solve specific visual arts problems
(A2, A1, 3D, CG, AA)
(a). 1. Teacher demonstration of space within various places
2. Worksheet on "Shared Spaces"
3. Students place furniture in a fixed bedroom plan
4. Student design floor plan for a family room
5. Teacher talk on design elements
6. Students create posters on design elements
7. Teacher lecture on color basics
8. Students construct color wheel
9. Students create & color a room color scheme
10. Students complete individual bedroom redesign project
1. Department transparencies - Space, Color schemes, Family room plan,
Line, Furniture placement
2. Worksheets - "Shared Space", "Bedroom Plan", "Family Room", Color
3. Design magazines to cut
4. Department poster materials
5. Color wheel poster
6. AEA V05652 "Color in Everyday Life"
7. Bedroom redesign packet
Unit 3: Clothing Construction
Performance Task 3.1 -
Demonstrates safety and correct operation on the sewing machine in construction of
(TECH.1.3.4) - Knows basic characteristics and functions of an operating system
(a). 1. Sewing Machine diagram worksheet.
2. Teacher demonstrations: parts of machine, threading, machine operation.
3. Student samples: threading, seam, seam finishes
4. Student completes project
5. Student completes self evaluation
1. Department sewing machines
2. Worksheets -Machine diagram, function of parts
3. Samples of seams & seam finishes
4. Fabric pieces
5. Hand sewing kits
6. Self-evaluation sheet
Unit 4: Laundry & Clothing Care
Unit 5: Kitchen Procedures
Performance Task 5.1 -
Reviews kitchen safety principles, abbreviations, and recipe procedures and apply to
kitchen lab situation.
(FCS.8.19) - Comply with safety and health rules
(FCS.8.21) - Maintain clean and orderly work area
(a). 1. View safety video
2. Complete kitchen safety worksheet
3. Monster cookie review lab
4. Review equivalents with overhead transparencies
5. Complete puzzle equivalent worksheet
6. Complete diagram of "Gallon Man"
1. AEA V09976 "Kitchen Safety"
2. Worksheets: "Do's & Don'ts of Kitchen Safety", "Equivalent Puzzle"
3. Monster cookie recipe
4. Overhead transparencies - Equivalents, Gallon Man
Unit 6: Recipe Math
Performance Task 6.1 -
Reviews equivalents and abbreviations used in recipes.
(a). Activity 1: Teacher review using overhead transparencies
Activity 2: Students complete diagram of "Gallon Man"
Activity 3: Daily review in class
Overhead transparencies, chart for notes, worksheet
on "gallon man"
Performance Task 6.2 -
Applies kitchen math to doubling and dividing ingredients in a recipe.
(a). Activity 1: Students complete chart on doubled & divided amounts
Activity 2: Worksheet on changing yield of recipes
Activity 3: With lab partners, divide recipe amounts & prepare the recipe
Overhead transparencies, chart for notes, recipe
worksheets, dessert bar recipes
Unit 7: The Breakfast Meal
Performance Task 7.1 -
Appreciates the importance of the breakfast meal, preparation techniques, and breakfast's
to health and performance.
(HE.6.2.2) - Knows healthy eating practices (e.g., eating a nutritious breakfast,
eating a variety of foods, eating nutritious meals and snacks at regular intervals to
satisfy individual energy and growth needs) (3, 4)
(a). 1. View filmstrips on breakfast meal
2. Class discussion on effects of skipping breakfast
3. Student report on importance of breakfast
4. Student worksheet on 10 breakfast menus
5. Lab - French toast
6. View filmstrip on egg preparation
7. Student packet on eggs
8. Lab - Eggs & fruit
9. Teacher presentation on reading nutrition label
10.Student worksheet on cereal label
11.Lab - Cheerio Nuggets
12.Student resource bread preparation
13.Teacher presentation/demonstration on quick breads
14.View video on muffin method of bread preparation
15. Lab - Coffee Cake
1. Department filmstrips - "Choices for a Lifetime" , "The Incredible,
Edible Egg"& "Guide of Breakfast"
2. Breakfast report guidelines
3. Worksheets - 10 breakfast menus, egg packet, quick breads
4. Transparencies - breakfast notes, eggs, muffin method, nutrition labels
5. Recipes - French toast, Egg preparation, Coffee cake, Cheerio Nuggets
6. Department Videos - "The Incredible Classroom Eggsperience" & "The
Best of Muffins"
7. AEA V16369 "Breakfast: Most Important Meal of the Day"
8. AEA V07536 "Best Breakfast"
9. Sample cereal labels
10.Computer lab access for reports
Unit 8: Microwave Cooking
Performance Task 8.1 -
Learn and apply microwave cooking techniques to food preparation.
(FCS.8.20) - Utilize equipment correctly
(a). 1. Teacher presentation of microwave terms
2. View video and microwave demonstration
3. Student completes microwave packet
4. Class discussion of microwave materials & safety
5. Lab - Microwave appetizers
6. Lab - Microwave candies
7. Lab - Microwave tacos
1. Overhead transparencies on Microwave terms, principles & diagram
2. AEA V05465 "Quick & Easy Microwave Secrets"
3. AEA V09974 "Zap It!..."
4. Student Microwave packet
5. Pamphlet "Microwave Magic"
6. Recipes: Microwave appetizers, tacos, candies
Unit 9: Teen Nutrition, Fitness, & Weight Control
Performance Task 9.1 -
Recognizes the relationship of diet and lifestyle choices to specific
(FCS.6.1) - Understand how knowledge and skills related to nutrition and food
affect the well-being of individuals, families, and society.
(a). 1. View videos on diet, exercise & health
2. Class discussion on importance of diet & exercise
3. Teacher presentation on eating disorders
4. Analyze nutrition charts from fast food restaurants
5. Class discussion of weight control methods
6. Student determines individual ideal weight range
1. AEA V06093 "Managing Your Weight Without Dieting"
2. Department videos on eating disorders & healthy eating
3. Overhead transparencies on healthy eating
4. McDonald’s nutrition charts
5. Calorie Charts
6. Ideal weight range chart