Reading Specialist Interview Questions
1. Please review your past experiences in education and explain how these have prepared you
for a position as Reading Specialist.
2. Describe the optimal learning environment; what do you feel is important in facilitating an
engaged learning environment.
3. Describe experiences you have had with co-teaching, team teaching and collaboration with
4. What is your understanding of a balanced literacy program? How do you work to develop
5. What do you consider to be the role of a reading specialist?
6. Describe a conflict situation you have had with another teacher, parent or adult and describe
how you handled it.
7. What knowledge do you have regarding the following approaches/programs: 1) reading-
writing process, 2) Six Traits of Writing, 3) guided reading, or any others you find useful.
Also, highlight any experiences you have had using specific reading software.
8. Please provide a strategy or activity that addresses each of the five elements of reading
(phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, comprehension and vocabulary).
9. Name three words that describe you as a person. Tell us three words other people would
describe you as.
10. What is one of your favorite children’s books? Describe three literacy activities that you might
use to help children internalize the story.
11. An important dimension of your role as reading specialist is to improve reading for all students
in the school. What steps would you take to accomplish this goal? In your answer, please
describe different venues for staff development and training for teacher as well as parent
12. What types of reading assessments have you used and/or are familiar with using?
13. Please share what experiences you have had with Response to Intervention (RtI). How do you
relate your role as reading specialist to this initiative.
14. Please highlight specific programs that you feel are appropriate as interventions at a Tier II or
Tier III level. Please discuss any first-hand knowledge you have using any specific
15. Before leaving, please summarize what dimensions of your application set you apart from other
candidates. Why should you be the one to be selected as the Reading Specialist at Ludwig