The Budget Reading Tour
Post-Reading Strategy for Narrative or Expository Text
The Budget Reading Tour is an engaging alternative post-reading task. It can be used with
any type of reading selection. Fragile students find this assignment less arduous than many
typical post-reading activities. The Budget Reading Tour encourages skills such as critical
skills such as synthesis and visualization. The assignment also allows for students to
creatively and personally respond to the material.
The Budget Reading Tour is a post-reading task and should not be assigned unless
students have been responsibly prepared for text comprehension.
If students have access to computers, ask them to replicate the Budget Reading
Tour template on their computer. This way, you can assign this task as an
independent homework assignment.
Recreate the Budget Reading Tour as a template and keep it on the Common drive to
be accessed by students during class.
The Budget Reading Tour is intended to be an independent post-reading task, it can
also be used as a springboard for small group discussions.
Step by Step
This is the sequence of steps in The Budget Reading Tour post-reading procedure:
1. Write down the actual title of the reading selection.
2. Come up with a thought-provoking and original alternative title.
3. Copy one statement from the reading that seems to convey a critical point in the
4. In two sentences, explain why you thought this statement was especially
5. In three to five sentences, summarize the main ideas in the reading, using your
6. Draw or attach a visual image that communicates the central message or theme
of this reading. Write one sentence explaining the relevance of this particular