Hoosier Chapter of the Health Physics Society:
October 2, 2008 Stewart Center, Room 310
9:30 AM – 4:00 PM Purdue University
Type of meeting: Annual Fall Meeting
Members Present: See attached list
Registration 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM
Morning Presentations 1) Lynne Fairobent (Legislative & Regulatory Affairs Manager, AAPM):
“Why Care – A Regulatory Update”
2) Mark Pflug (Health Physicist, Purdue University): Preview of Hoosier
3) Marc Martz (Director, Office of Radiation Safety, Medical College of
Wisconsin & Froedtert Hospital): “Participation in the Wisconsin
Society of Science Teachers Convention”
Buffet Lunch East Faculty Lounge, Purdue Memorial Union
Business Meeting 1) Bylaws: A quorum of the membership voted in favor of the bylaws that
had been previously distributed through email, as presented. Significant
changes to the Bylaws include gender-neutral language, annual dues
increase, and electronic voting.
2) Science Teacher workshops: The Hoosier Chapter will have a booth at
an Educator’s Fair February 4-6, 2009. Volunteers are needed to
discuss and demonstrate radiation facts and application. Patrick Jones
volunteered his display for the chapter’s use.
3) Science Teacher Award: Please send on nominations to the Executive
Council for the Science Teacher Award that will be decided on and
awarded by the National HPS group.
4) Website: It is a very good start. A concern was raised over whether the
“Jobs” link to the National HPS website bypasses the “Member’s Only”
requirement. The Chapter also wondered if we could set up a PayPal
account. Both matters will be examined by Mark Pflug.
5) Treasurer’s Report: On file
6) Hosting national meeting: The Chapter discussed hosting a national
meeting. This seems more possible than before, as the Indianapolis
Convention Center will be completed by the time we would host. Birch
and Associates will take care of most of the arrangements, but Hoosier
Chapter members should still volunteer – we will also make more
money the more we volunteer.
Afternoon Presentations 1) Sander C. Perle (President, Mirion Technologies): “Radiation
Litigation: An Expert Witness’ Perspective”
2) Dr. Rob Stewart (Assistant Head of Health Sciences, Purdue
University): “Update on the Purdue School of Health Sciences and
Radiological Health Science Program”
3) Dr. Richard Vetter (RSO, Mayo Clinic): “History, Authority, and
Current Issues of the ACMUI”
Visit of Affiliate Booths 1) Mirion Technologies
4) ThermoFisher Scientific
Closing Remarks Thank you to all who helped make this meeting possible.