Science Student Lab Safety Contract
PURPOSE 15. Labels and equipment instructions must be 28. If a chemical splashes in your eye(s) or on your
Science is a hands-on laboratory class. You will read carefully before use. Set up and use skin, immediately flush with running water
be doing many laboratory activities which require the prescribed apparatus as directed in the from the eyewash station or safety shower for
the use of hazardous chemicals. Safety in the laboratory instructions or by your at least 20 minutes & notify the instructor
science classroom is the #1 priority for students, instructor. immediately.
teachers, and parents. To ensure a safe science HANDLING CHEMICALS
classroom, a list of rules has been developed and 16. Keep hands away from face, eyes, mouth
and body while using chemicals or 29. All chemicals in the laboratory are to be
provided to you in this student safety contract. considered dangerous. Do not touch, taste, or smell
These rules must be followed at all times. Two preserved specimens. Wash your hands
with soap and water after performing all any chemicals unless specifically instructed to do
copies of the contract are provided. One copy so. The proper technique for smelling chemical
must be signed by both you and a parent or experiments. Clean all work surfaces and
fumes will be demonstrated to you.
guardian before you can participate in the apparatus at the end of the experiment.
Return all equipment clean and in working 30. Check the label on chemical bottles twice
laboratory. The second copy is to be kept in your before removing any of the contents. Take only as
science notebook as a constant reminder of the order to the proper storage area.
much chemical as you need. Never return unused
safety rules. 17. Experiments must be personally monitored chemicals to their original containers.
at all times. You will be assigned a
GENERAL RULES laboratory station at which to work. Do not AND FINALLY…
1. Conduct yourself in a responsible manner at all wander around the room, distract other 31. You are financially responsible for any items
times in the laboratory. students, or interfere with the laboratory you break or damage in the laboratory.
2. Follow all written and verbal instructions experiments of others. 32. Use a quite speaking voice within your lab
carefully. If you do not understand, ask the 18. Students are never permitted in the science group.
instructor before proceeding. storage rooms or preparation areas unless 33. Other rules may be added for a specific lab to
3. Never work alone. No student may work in the given specific permission by their ensure the safety of all participants.
laboratory without an instructor present. instructor.
4. When first entering a science room, do not 19. Know what to do if there is a fire drill I, ______________________
touch any equipment, chemicals, or other during a laboratory period; containers must (student's name) have read and agree to follow all
be closed, gas valves turned off, fume of the safety rules set forth in this contract. I
materials in the laboratory area until you are
hoods turned off, and any electrical realize that I must obey these rules to ensure my
instructed to do so.
equipment turned off. own safety, and that of my fellow students and
5. Do not eat food, drink beverages, or chew gum
20. Handle all living organisms used in a instructors. I will cooperate to the fullest extent
in the laboratory. Do not use laboratory
laboratory activity in a humane manner. with my instructor and fellow students to maintain
glassware as containers for food or beverages. a safe lab environment. I will also closely follow
Preserved biological materials are to be
6. Perform only those experiments authorized by treated with respect and disposed of the oral and written instructions provided by the
the instructor. Never do anything in the properly. instructor. I am aware that any violation of this
laboratory that is not called for in the laboratory 21. When using knives and other sharp safety contract that results in unsafe conduct in the
procedures or by your instructor. Carefully instruments, always carry with tips and laboratory, or misbehavior on my part, may result
follow all instructions, both written and oral. points pointing down and away. Always cut in being removed from the laboratory, detention,
away from your body. Never try to catch receiving a failing grade, and/or administrative
7. Be prepared for your work in the lab. Read all
falling sharp instruments. Grasp sharp referral.
procedures thoroughly before entering the lab.
instruments only by the handles. Student Signature:
8. Never fool around in the laboratory. 22. If you have a medical condition ________________________________________
Horseplay, practical jokes, and pranks are (e.g., allergies, etc.), check with your Date ____________________
dangerous and prohibited. physician prior to working in lab.
9. Observe good housekeeping practices. Work Dear Parent or Guardian:
areas should be kept clean and tidy at all times. You should be informed regarding the school's
CLOTHING effort to create and maintain a safe science class-
Bring only your laboratory instructions, 23. Any time chemicals, heat, or glassware are
worksheets, and/or reports to the work area. room/laboratory environment.
used, students will wear laboratory goggles.
Other materials (books, purses, backpacks, etc.) With the cooperation of the instructors, parents,
should be left in the classroom area. 24.Contact lenses should not be worn in the and students, this safety instruction program can
10. Keep aisles clear. Push your stool under the laboratory unless you have permission from eliminate, prevent, and correct possible hazards.
counter when not in use. your instructor. You should be aware of the safety instructions
11. Know the locations and operating procedures of 25. Dress properly during a laboratory activity. your son/daughter will receive before engaging in
all safety equipment including the first aid kit, Long hair, dangling jewelry, and loose or any laboratory work. Please read the list of safety
eyewash station, safety shower, fire baggy clothing are a hazard in the rules above. No student will be permitted to
extinguisher, and fire blanket. Know where the laboratory. Long hair must be tied back and perform laboratory activities unless this contract is
fire alarm and the exits are located. dangling jewelry and loose or baggy signed by both the student and parent/guardian and
12. Always work in a well-ventilated area. clothing must be secured. Shoes must is on file with the teacher.
Use the fume hood when working with volatile completely cover the foot. Your signature on this contract indicates that you
substances or poisonous vapors. Never place
26. Lab aprons have been provided for your use have read this Student Safety Contract, are aware
your head into the fume hood.
and should be worn during laboratory of the measures taken to ensure the safety of your
13. Be alert and proceed with caution at all times in activities. son/daughter in the science laboratory, and will
the laboratory. Notify the instructor instruct your son/ daughter to uphold his/her
immediately of any unsafe conditions you agreement to follow these rules and procedures in
ACCIDENTS AND INJURIES
27. Report any accident (spill, breakage, etc.) the laboratory. Your signature also indicates that
14. Dispose of all chemical waste properly. or injury (cut, burn, etc.) to the you are aware that each student is responsible for
Sinks are to be used only for water and those instructor immediately, no matter how paying a replacement fee for any lab equipment
solutions designated by the instructor. Solid or trivial it may appear. that was broken by that student.
other insoluble materials are to be disposed of Parent/Guardian Signature:
in the proper waste containers, not in the sink. _________________________________________
Adapted from Flinn Scientific.