Shady Grove Elementary School
Classroom Observation Procedures
Shady Grove strives to protect the safety and welfare of the students and school
personnel, as well as minimize classroom disruptions. Procedures for observers for
classroom observations shall include the following:
· School visits will be arranged with at least twentyfour (24) hours in advance with
the principal of the building in which the classroom is located.
· Requests for fortyfive (45) minute classroom observations shall only be approved
two (2) times each marking period for the same parent/guardian.
· Observers at the school will register in the school office and obtain a visitors pass.
· No more than one (1) observer shall be present in the classroom at any one time.
· Observers shall refrain from talking, eating or moving around the classroom or
other disruptive behavior during the visit in the classroom. During the visit, all
observers shall remain in such location in the classroom as designated by the
principal or designee.
· It is inappropriate for observers to speak out, make statements or ask questions of
the students or staff during the visit. Observers who wish to discuss their visit or
any concern, shall make an appointment with the teacher during nonclass time.
· The principal or designee other than the teacher or teacher assistant may
accompany any observer/visitor.
· All observers will keep their observations in the strictest of confidence except for
information for the child that is the subject of the observation.
· The principal or designee may terminate a visit at any time, if in their judgment,
the visit is disrupting children, staff, or the learning process or becomes a threat to
the health, safety or welfare of the children or staff.
· Any observer/visitor who fails to follow these rules shall have his/her right to visit
· Procedures for volunteers will be reviewed in a training sessions. Volunteers
procedures are separate from observation guidelines.