Computer and Space Sciences Bldg.
College Park, Maryland 20742-2411
301.405.1500 TEL 301.314.9220 FAX
OFFICE OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Server Support Service
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) offers fee-based server support services to the
University community. These services consist of fileserver maintenance, security analysis,
best practices, and disaster recovery of Microsoft Windows and Novell NetWare (non-Linux)
environments. Different service offerings are available ranging from hourly to contracted
24x7 services. If you are interested in learning more about the Server Support Service or if
you have any questions about the information detailed below, please contact the Wintel
Benefits to the Departments include:
Benefits to the Departments:
• Provides resources and capabilities that some departments may not be able to
• Services offered hourly or on a contracted based (9x5 or 24x7)
• Eliminates the need for server-related training for departmental IT staff, allowing units
to focus professional development resources in other areas.
• Increases time and resources available for departmental IT staff to devote to
departmental and user support issues.
• Removes the need for departments to maintain their own server infrastructure
• Provides ready access to technical resources and capabilities that some departments
may not otherwise be able to afford
• Provides a secure computing environment, patched and maintained per vendor
• Includes real-time server monitoring with rapid emergency response (see below).
The Server Support Service provides departments contracted (9x5 or 24x7) and hourly ($60
per hour) server support for their Novell Netware (non Linux) and Microsoft Windows (2003
and 2008) servers. Below is a complete list of services included in the Server Support
1. Guaranteed 99.8% server uptime (does not include service outages associated with
2. Real-time server monitoring with rapid emergency response (see below).
3. Server operating system (OS) version upgrades installed on a timely basis.
4. Rapid response to service degradation and unexpected outages (see below).
5. Vendor-recommended OS patches, hotfixes, critical security updates, and
service/support packs applied on a timely basis.
6. Server-based anti-virus software installed and virus definition files kept current.
7. Server-based UPS software installed and maintained.
8. OIT-supported server-based backup software installed and maintained. The backup
service itself is not included in the Server Support Services agreement and will be
9. Assistance with obtaining specifications and price quotes for a new server and
peripheral equipment, such as additional memory, hard disks, and processors.
10. Installation of new or replacement hardware.
11. Initial merging of server accounts and related resources into a centrally administered
directory services database.
12. Consultation regarding account management, fileserver security, and general system
13. Priority over competing ad-hoc requests.
The items listed below are not covered by the Server Support Service:
• Account maintenance and file system management
• Workstation support
• Server-side printing setup Support for printers and desktop printing
• Server-based applications (database, calendaring, web site support, etc.)
Hourly and 9x5 service is offered during University Business hours. 24x7 support includes
University Business hours, weekends, and holidays. When the University is closed due to
inclement weather, services are provided on a best effort basis. The table below highlights
the differences between the two services.
Hours Monday through Friday, 24x7, except for weather-
8am – 5pm related emergencies
Emergency Response (max) One hour One hour during business
hours, four hours otherwise
Scheduled Maintenance Anytime within business During and after business
hours (as above), per hours except for weather
customer related emergencies
Annual Rate $2,500 per year $5,000 per year
9x5 and 24x7 Server Support Services agreements both guarantee one-hour response to
server outages between the hours of 8:00am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday when the
University is open for business. The 24x7 support agreement also includes four-hour
response to server outages that occur outside of University business hours. The only periods
not covered by the 24x7 agreement are during weather-related emergencies.
To minimize disruption of services, whenever possible upgrades and routine maintenance on
servers covered by 24x7 agreements will be scheduled during times outside of normal
business hours. 9x5 agreements do not cover any services outside of these hours; thus, all
maintenance for servers covered by 9x5 agreements will be scheduled during normal
University business hours. Customers with 9x5 agreements may, however, schedule after-
hours maintenance or upgrades (subject to availability of OIT resources) at an hourly rate of
$120 and with a minimum block of four hours (minimum one-time charge of $480). The hourly
rate for work scheduled during holidays is $180 (minimum one-time charge of $720).
The Server Support Services is pre-billed annually. The initial billing period starts on the first
day of the first full month in which service begins and ends on June 30, the end of the fiscal
year. Subsequent billing periods begin on July 1 and extend through June 30. The cost for a
9x5 support contract is $2,500 per year ($250 per month) and $5,000 per year ($500 per
month) for a 24x7 support contract.
Other services are also available and are billed at our standard hourly rate of $60.
Before entering into a support agreement, customers must meet the following conditions:
1. Obtain server hardware certified by the manufacturer to run the latest version of the
operating system desired.
2. For the duration of the Server Support Services agreement, maintain a hardware-
support contract for the server with a reputable vendor, preferably the server
3. Obtain a hardware-based, remote-access network card for the fileserver (24x7 only).
4. Purchase annual maintenance for the server operating system and support software.
5. Contract with OIT for centralized backup services. OIT backup services are a
6. Ensure that OIT technicians have physical access to the server during the hours
service will be provided.
If you are interested in learning more about the file sharing or additional service offering, if
you would like to schedule an appointment, or if you have any questions about our rate
structure, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.