School Improvement Action Plan #1
Leigh Community Schools
Student Performance Goal
ALL students will improve written communication skills across the curriculum.
Support Data (used to select the goal) Standardized Assessments Local Assessments
Standardized Test (Terra Nova, ACT, Terra Nova CRA’s-Local Standards
PLAN) ACT Teacher Input/Survey
NE State Writing Assessment (4,8,11) PLAN ESU 7 Holistic Writing Assessment
Teacher Input, Survey NE State Writing Assessment
Intervention (Strategy): Research Supporting this Intervention
Intervention Strategy #1 (IS1): Writing Language Arts Curriculum, CLS Consortium- Curriculum Leadership Institute.
Intervention Strategy #2 (IS2): Implement Spalding Method The Spalding Method.
Implement Lexia S.O.S Computer Program www.pared.edu.au/spalding/
Reading and Language Arts Centers Inc.
Intervention Strategy #3 (IS3): Implement Shurley Method www.rlac.com/research.php
Implement Palm Pilot Writing Program Why use Shurley Method.
Implement Six Traits of Writing Awareness Training (All) Jeffcoweb.jeffco.k12.co.us/surely.html
The Write Stuff. Edutopia.www.glef.org
Northwest Regional Labs.
Activities to Implement the Person(s)
Intervention (Strategy) Accountable
Beginning End Outcomes
1. (IS1) All K-6 teachers and High School Mr. Borer and September May 2004 Time and All K-12 Language
Language arts teachers will meet with the Mr. Ferguson 2002 (Complete) Resources needed Arts teachers will have
Clarkson, Leigh, Stanton Consortium to to write a curriculum and
write Language Arts Curriculum and Curriculum assessments in place to
Assessments. guide instruction.
2. (IS2) All K-3 teachers will be trained in the Mr. Norgaard Summer 2000 Ongoing Time, Resources All K-3 teachers will
Spalding Phonics/Reading methods. (due to and ESU personnel be able to implement
teacher needed to train Spalding Phonics
turnover) teachers. methods with their
3. (IS2) K-3 Teachers will teach phonics, Mr. Norgaard Fall 2000 Ongoing Spalding teaching
reading and spelling using the Spalding method. materials and
4. (IS2) Purchase Lexia S.O.S. Mr. Ferguson September September School finances. Teachers will have
Phonics program. 2002 2002 access to a computer
(Complete) generated phonics
5. (IS2) Train library/media staff and teachers Librarian Fall 2002 Fall 2002 Time to learn to Library/media staff
to use the Lexia S.O.S Phonics program (Complete) use program. and teachers will know
how to use the Lexia
6. (IS2) Provide 15-30 minutes per week for Librarian and Spring 2003 Ongoing Time for students
students grades K-3 to practice phonics, teachers to use the program.
spelling, and reading skills using the Lexia
7. (IS3)All K-6 teachers will be trained in the All K-6 March 2001 May 2001 Time and All K-6 teachers are
Shurley Method teachers. (Complete) Resources needed trained in Shurley
for training Method
8. (IS3) All K-6 students will use Shurley All K-6 teachers Aug. 2001 Ongoing Shurley materials All K-6 teachers will
Method to teach grammar and writing skills. And Mr. implement in the
9. (IS3) Train 6th grade teacher and Business March 2003 August 2003 ESU staff, Palm Pilot 6th grade teacher will
Mrs. Hillen and
Teacher in Palm Technology and software. (Complete) grant program, internet be trained to use Palm
websites and Software for
10. (IS3) Purchase 20 Palms, Keyboards and Mr. Ferguson, July 2003 Sept. 2003 REAP grant funds Teacher will have
software needed to implement Palm Writing Mrs. Kabes and (Complete) equipment and
Activities. Mrs. Hillen software needed to
11. (IS3) 6th grade Students will be trained to Mrs. Hillen Sept. 2003 Ongoing Time and Palm
use Palm Programs to create graphic organizers, resources need to train
type drafts, edit and publish writing students.
12. (IS3) All K-12 teachers will attend “Six Mr. Borer and July 2001 Train new ESU 7 resource staff All teachers will learn
Traits Writing” awareness training. all teachers
teachers as and training materials and be able to teach
they enter the “6 Traits Writing
13. (IS3) All K-12 teachers will practice and Mr. Borer and
all teachers Sept. 2004 Ongoing 6 traits writing All K-12 teachers will
use the “6 Traits Writing Process” in classroom resources teach and assess
writing assignments. student writing using
the 6 traits process.
14. (IS3) Language Arts teachers and Leigh Mr. Borer, Fall 2003 Ongoing Teacher time, Student Students in the 4th, 8th
students will participate in the ESU 7 annual Language Arts assessment, Writing and 11th grade will be
fall Holistic Writing Assessment. Teachers Prompt assessed in 6 trait
writing, the ESU fall
assessment will be a
pre-assessment to the
assessment in the