Newark was formed as a township in 1693, granted a royal charter in 1713 and incorporated as one of New Jersey's initial 104 townships in 1798. The area's industrial orientation received a major boost in 1815 with the arrival of Seth Boyden from Massachusetts. This industrial genius made major improvements in leather manufacturing that culminated in the process for making patent leather. By 1870, Newark was producing 90% of the nation's leather, generating $8.6 million in that year alone.
Pages to are hidden for
"NEW YORK-NEWARK: METROPOLITAN MARKET"Please download to view full document