VIEWS: 160 PAGES: 28

									Resource Ed Australia


Contents & Page Numbers of Information
Contents                                                      Page Number

Welcome                                                              3
Let’s Go                                                             3
Teaching Shortages                                                   4
Cost of REdP Services                                                5
A Possible Timeline and Helpful Hints                                5
Curriculum in Victorian Schools                                      9
The Victorian Institute of Teaching                                  12
VISA Application                                                     15
Australian Taxation Office                                           16
School Term dates                                                    17
Cost of living in Melbourne                                          18
Transport In and Around Melbourne                                    18
Accommodation in Melbourne                                           21
Opening a Bank Account                                               22
Mobile phones & Internet Services                                    22
Some Interesting bits of Information about Melbourne                 23
FAQs                                                                 24
Australian Facts & Humour                                            26
Contact Details                                                      28

  If you believe we can improve this document, please email me at
                                  with your suggestions.


My name is Ian Smith and I am the Managing Director of Resource Ed Australia. I hope the
information presented is both helpful and enables you to come to Australia with confidence
in the knowledge we are here to help you.

The information below contains web sites, helpful hints, costs, information on schools,
curriculum and general information on Melbourne. This document will give you options and
open up a few thoughts that may help you through the process in finalising your decision to
come to Melbourne. Where possible I have included the actual forms text and the details.
We are always available via email or phone to help, our contact details are on the last part
of this document.

Let’s go.....
Firstly, some general information, Melbourne is capital of Victoria with a population of over
3.68 million people with over 3000 schools state wide. These include Government,
Independent, Catholic primary (p-6) and secondary schools (year 7-12 VCE). Our school year
generally commences in late January and concludes in late December. We have 4 terms of
approximately 10 weeks with 2 weeks breaks in between. Our summer break is about 6
weeks from late December to late January, with a total of 40 weeks of teaching and 12
weeks of holidays.

Melbourne has a temperate climate with a generally cool and wet winter. Our temperature
range in winter (July August and September) is generally between 5 and 20 degree celsius.
Our warmer months are November through February which are generally balmy days of 20+
days to occasional days of searing heat of 40+.

Victoria, together with New South Wales are the only states where skiing is possible.
Melbourne is also the sporting capital of Australia, it is the home to Australian Rules football
(, the Melbourne Cricket ground, theatres, restaurants, bars, nightclubs
and gardens. See these web sites for views of Melbourne
http//, and

Melbourne has on many occasions been voted the world’s most liveable city, it is not as
frenetic as Sydney nor does it have the wonderful Sydney Harbour, Opera House or The
Rocks precinct. However, Sydney is one hour away via plane and when you return you
appreciate the lack of traffic, pace and noise. However, we do have the best beaches,
theatres and wonderful historic streets of diverse shopping experiences. Regional Victoria is
close by train or bus for many great experiences. Winery visits, skiing, beaches, gardens,
mountains (small) and rivers, the list is endless! Have a look at the links above to appreciate

Please take time to read all the information, go to the links and discover some of the many
aspects of Melbourne has to offer and the teaching opportunities and adventure in


Teaching.... shortages
    “Over the five years to 2010 approximately 3,220 new teachers will be required each
    year across all Victorian schools....” (1)

    The Age January 2008

    “The number of Victorian students choosing teaching as their first preference of study
    has fallen this year by 6.8%....”

    A second report, released earlier this week by the Australian Council for Education
    Research, found more than two-thirds of Australian high schools were struggling to find
    essential staff....”
    Teacher_Supply_and_Demand_in_Victoria_2006.pd (1)

Resource Ed Personnel places in winter periods between 200 and 250 teachers (on average)
per day and we are still very short of teachers for supply and contract work. There are large

numbers of work opportunities available to enthusiastic and competent Canadian or
international teachers either seeking supply and contract positions. In our western suburbs
and Regional cities there are extreme shortages of supply and contract teachers.
Be aware, most schools want to see you teach before they appoint a teacher to a contract,
being in Melbourne and working, is your greatest asset.


What does this cover?
      1. Guaranteed supply work for enthusiastic and competent international teachers
         from our Area Managers
      2. Casual Relief Teacher (Supply) seminar
      3. Photo ID badge
      4. Australian First Aid booklet
      5. We distribute your CV with your photo to all of our 300 schools in the Melbourne
      6. We put your CV on Australia Teachers at no cost
      7. Provide a social group for interaction with other Canadians or internationals.
      8. Plus all the advice, mentoring, help and service we can give to you to make your
         stay in Australia a great experience.

What else do you receive?
           Availability of a mentor service from former Victorian teachers and principals
           The ability to pass onto you, our extensive teaching experience via our CRT
           Our company has a majority of former teachers and principals who know and
              are aware of all new developments in the Victorian education system
           Our pedagogy network is vast with registering bodies such as the Victorian
              Institute of Teaching, the Victorian Department of Education, administration
              and teaching collegiate meetings together with many varied education
              employers and suppliers.
           Availability of professional development focused on supply and the skills that

A possible Timeline to help you in the process of coming to
Victoria, Australia
In this document I will assume you want to come to Melbourne and I will list the possible
steps and suggest a timeline.

Give yourself at least 6 months to make all the necessary arrangements, this will ensure
registrations, police checks, visa application and taxation applications are all completed
prior to coming to Australia. Organisation and planning are your keys, having all your
documentation, visa, travel arrangements and knowledge of what you want to achieve in
Australia is important. You could arrange this earlier however, planning is crucial. Having
arranged all your registrations etc while you are in Canada allows you to step off the plane
and work.

       1. Read this document thoroughly and go the links and information we have listed.
          Remember we are always available via email or phone if required.

       2. Establish a list of what you have to do for example costs and travel plans.

       3. Establish the date* you want to come to Australia for example, holiday first over
          January to March and then work as a supply teacher in the busier periods from
          March to December. We are happy to advise on the best options.

       4. Contact the Australian Consulate for visa information* (see p.15), see links in this
          document. You must have a valid visa to apply for a Tax File Number again see
          links to the Australian taxation office.

       5. Contact various travel agencies to get the best possible deals on return flights to

       6. Go to the links provided in this document on housing, education, living costs and
          further employment options available to you.

       7. Ascertain, do you want a full Meet & Greet service or nothing, you decide?

           See A New Life in Melbourne

       8. Establish a working knowledge of our curriculum via the links provided


       9. We will send to you the CRT Seminar notes and guides so you are aware of what
          we do to help you.

       10. Go to our web site >Forms and then download. See notes and
           explanations below of our joining process-

               Information Pack- information only

               Joining Pack- you will need to download, print and post to us

               CRT planner- as above

               Example of School time Sheet- as above
               Superannuation Choice Form- print out

               Tax File Number Declaration- print out

               Statutory declaration – not required

               Advice & Compliance form for OHS- Occupational Health and Safety- print

       11. Welcome to Australia

Information Package- information only
Contains advice, company expectations, current email addresses for important education
authorities and many general helpful hints on teaching in Victorian schools.
Join Package- print out and fill in as required
Ensure firstly you have your VIT registration which will include a valid police check prior to
completing your application. Fill in all details and post the application to us at the address
provided. Again, if you need help or advice, call or email us.
CRT planner-
This is an example of document left to advise the teacher of the activities you conducted
whilst in the grade or subject area. Most of the teachers will leave appropriate teaching
materials for you to follow. Having knowledge of VELs and attending our 3 hour CRT seminar
will help you with teaching in Melbourne.
Example of school Time Sheet
This is an example of the time sheet you are required to sign to verify you worked at a
school. It forms the basis from which we will pay you.
Superannuation Choice Form
In Australia all employers must show all employees this form to enable them to make
pension (superannuation) payments into their chosen fund. This must be signed stating you
have sighted the form.
We would suggest all superannuation payments be made to VICSUPER Superannuation as
this is the preferred option of most Victorian teachers. This fund operates under the
guidance of Commonwealth Law and all employers must pay their employees 9% on top of
their normal wages. In most cases when you leave Australia, you can obtain those payments
in full.
Tax File Number declaration Number (TFN)
Two Different Forms:
         1. Application for a Tax File Number- Apply to the Australian Taxation Office (see
             page 16)
         2. Tax File Number, declaration of your TFN to us, your employer, it’s on our web
             site under Forms

Before coming to Australia ensure you have applied and received your Tax File Number from
the Australian Taxation Office (ATO link provided in the document). In Australia, if you
declare via the TFN Declaration form (the second form above), that you wish to give the TAX
Free Threshold to Resource Ed Personnel (see form on our web site), it will enable you to
receive the first $6000.00 free of taxation. REdP receives no monetary gain in any form from
this declaration. However, it is a simple way of ensuring you pay the lowest amount of tax
on your fortnightly wage with us. Again, please email or phone us for advice on filling out
this application.
All employees must declare to their employer their TFN to ensure the correct tax is being
taken out of their salary.
Statutory declaration- not required
Advice and Compliance for OHS- Occupational Health and Safety
In Australia all employees are entitled to safe work place, we as your employer expect you
read, sign, comply and return these forms when you post them to us. Again, if you require
help or clarification please call or email us.

A few hints:
Always have your original and or valid certified copies of all your transcripts, applications
and registrations etc, in case they are needed in Australia. Always keep them in a secure
place whilst in Australia. Make copies of your documents as above in case your originals are
lost or misplaced, keep these in another secure place.

Remember, a great number of forms will ask for your address, contact details etc. in these
cases the only option is to fill them in when you arrive in Australia.

If you are not sure of any particular aspect, email or call us, we are here to help you. The
Join Package requires an address, contact details, bank account details, visa information and
VIT registration. Some of this you can do while in Canada, for example, visa, VIT registration
and declaration of your Tax File Number. Others, such as where you are living, bank details
may only be available when you are here. Don’t send the Join package until you have all the
information. If you need any help or clarification email or call us.

Health insurance- all Australians are entitled to Medicare, a federally funded health scheme
to cover the basic costs of health. However, as Canadians you will not be covered under this
This link ( lists
the countries Medicare has made arrangements with.

To ensure you are covered for possible unforseen medical expenses we strongly suggest
you obtain Private Health Insurance from one of the many providers. These links provide
comparisons between private health insurance costs and services

Some of the providers offer basic products for as little as $10 per week. I would also suggest
you talk to some providers as listed on their sites. The largest hospitals in Australia are
public, giving access to all patients. Please provide to us the name of the Private Health
Cover Insurer.

Curriculum in Victorian schools
        VELS- Victorian Essential Learning Standards

The curriculum all schools adhere to is called the Victorian Essential Learning Standards. This
is relatively new and most teachers within the system are still attending professional

The Victorian Essential Learning Standards identify three core and interrelated strands for
the Prep to Year 10 curriculum. Each strand has a number of domains which describe the
essential knowledge, skills and behaviours students need to prepare for further education,
work and life. The domains include the standards, organised by dimension, by which student
achievement and progress is measured (see table below). An English as a Second Language
(ESL) Companion and Students with Disabilities Guidelines are available to assist schools in
providing programs for these students.

About the Standards
Standards define what students should know and be able to do at different stages of
development and learning stages. They provide valuable information about student
progress which can form the basis of further teaching and intervention.

The Victorian Essential Learning Standards recognise the differing learning needs of students
at three stages of learning. Curriculum expectations for student achievement are set at six
levels over the 11 years of compulsory schooling. The six levels are broadly associated with
Years Prep to 10 and are consistent with the levels for student achievement introduced in
the Curriculum and Standards Framework (CSF) in 1995. General expectations of when
students will achieve the various standards are:

                                     Level 1 – Preparatory Year
                                     Level 2 – Years 1 and 2
                                     Level 3 – Years 3 and 4
                                     Level 4 – Years 5 and 6
                                     Level 5 – Years 7 and 8
                                     Level 6 – Years 9 and 10.”

Standards are not set for all domains of the Victorian Essential Learning Standards at all
levels. The Standards contain learning focus statements for all domains to assist schools to
develop programs appropriate to their own local circumstances. However, formal
standards against which student achievement is assessed and reported on, apply where
research suggests it is developmentally appropriate, and central to future learning and
success in the relevant domain.

     Levels 1 and 2 (Years Prep to Year 2) focus largely on foundational literacy and
      numeracy skills and development of physical, personal and social capacities. At Level
      1, standards are written for English, Mathematics, Health and Physical Education,
      The Arts and Interpersonal Development. At Level 2, standards are introduced for
      ICT. At Level 3 (Years 3–4) students are expected to also achieve standards in
      Science, the Humanities, Thinking Processes, Design, Creativity and Technology,
      Personal Learning and Civics and Citizenship.
     At Level 4 (Years 5–6) standards are introduced in the remaining domains of
      Languages Other than English (LOTE), History, Geography, Economics and
      Communication. From this level, it is developmentally appropriate for students to be
      supported in and expected to achieve the full range of knowledge and skills in each
      of the three strands.
     At Level 6 (Years 9–10) the Standards enable schools to construct programs which
      include: each of the disciplines; a strong focus on developing the full range of
      interdisciplinary and physical, personal and social knowledge, skills and behaviours;
      and the capacity for students to pursue pathway-related studies which meet their
      needs and connect with programs the school provides in Years 11–12.

                                                                                         10 | P a g e
Support Materials for teachers

Support materials for the Victorian Essential Learning Standards will be progressively
published throughout 2005 and 2006. The support materials illustrate ways in which
teachers can apply the standards in their teaching and learning and assessment programs.
Some of the support materials will be based on refined and newly developed programs and
practice from Victorian schools, existing published materials and current research.

Sample Units

Sample units which exemplify ways of using the new curriculum to develop teaching and
learning activities and illustrate appropriate assessment in relation to specific standards
from Levels 1 to 6 will be developed progressively. Seven of these sample units are now

As a teacher within a Victorian school you work within a team, for example
       A Junior- Prep to 2 or the PE area
The team as a whole, using the VELS guides decides what and when they are going to teach
in their areas or grades under the guidance of the school’s Curriculum Leadership team.
Your team and you, individually plan, construct, evaluate and report on your program based
on VELS and your school’s individual needs. This way, the team’s strengths are maximised to
give the team the best results. Teaching strategies such as camps, integration of subject
areas, excursions, art, drama, PE or other relevant teaching aid, person or group is used to
further the engagement of student learning. Team teaching is particularly relevant where
some teachers are very strong in PE or science for example.

We provide mentoring via our team of former teachers and principals to help our
internationals better fit into our systems. We have noted all our Canadians, Irish, English,
South African and other English speaking internationals have little trouble in dealing with
our education system. The individual schools are very supportive and ensure Canadians and
international teachers are welcomed and supported. Again, coming with prior knowledge on
VELS and attending one of our 3 hour CRT Seminars will make the transition easier.

                                                                                    11 | P a g e
The Victorian Institute of Teaching –VIT
All teachers in Victoria must have a VIT registration to enable them to teach in Victoria. For
Canadians a 4 year degree course inclusive of a Bachelor of Education, is the basic
requirement. In Ontario, for example, the Ontario College of Teachers is the Victorian
equivalent. The VIT’s address and application form is below. Please read the entire form and
ensure you answer all relevant questions.

Go to below are examples of the
actual text and I have included notes in red, directions, page numbers and suggestions.
Please refer to the actual document.

Application Registration as a Teacher
Use Form A for your registration for qualified teachers
“You   should complete form A: page 2 if
I have four years of approved tertiary study, including an approved course of primary or secondary
teacher education, from Australia or overseas. Most Canadians will fall under this category.

You should complete form A:
Form A – Application for
Registration to Teach (Part A)
Teachers who have completed 80 or more days of teaching experience should also complete
Part B – Professional Practice Report for Experienced Teachers

Qualifications approved by the Minister, or found to be equivalent by the Institute to those
approved by the Minister, must include the following:
A four-year teaching qualification which includes an approved pre-service course of
primary and/or secondary teacher education of at least one year’s duration inclusive of
teaching methods and at least 45 days of supervised practice teaching Most Canadians will fall
under this category.

Four years of tertiary study which includes an approved pre-service primary and/or
secondary teaching qualification of at least one year’s duration inclusive of teaching
methods and at least 45 days of supervised practice teaching AND WHICH ALSO INCLUDES
(a) the award of an approved academic degree or diploma of at least three years’ duration
(b) approved academic and/or teaching certificates, degrees or diplomas totalling at least
three years of tertiary level study
FITNESS TO TEACH- Police Checks page 5
All applicants for registration as a teacher must undergo a National Criminal History Record
Check. Canadians must source a Royal Canadian Mounted Police check.

                                                                                        12 | P a g e
Applicants who have resided in any country other than Australia for a continuous period of
12 months or more within the last 10 years, and were 18 years of age or older at that time,
must provide certified copies of the original criminal record checks from all the countries in which they
resided. The criminal record checks must cover the period that the applicant resides in Australia.

The Institute can provide advice on how to obtain criminal record checks from other
Please contact the Institute on +61 3 1300 888 067 or email address below.

An applicant for registration as a teacher must meet the standards of competence in both
written and oral communications in the English language.
If you completed your teacher education qualification at an Australian institution, you are
not required to complete an English language test.
If you completed your teacher education qualification in English at an approved institution
in another country where English is the national language of instruction, you may be
required to provide evidence to confirm this. If the evidence is satisfactory to the Institute,
you may not be required to complete an English language test.
If you did not undertake your teacher education qualification in English, as described above,
you will be required to undertake an English language test.
If you have completed one of the approved English language tests (see below) you will need
to provide documentary evidence of this.
EVIDENCE OF PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE page 6, please read carefully
If you have previous experience as a teacher you will be considered for full registration if
you provide the following evidence: official evidence that you have completed 80 or more
days of teaching experience
evidence that demonstrates that you have met or exceeded the standards of professional
practice for full registration.

PROVISIONAL REGISTRATION page 7 most Canadians/internationals will fall into this category
Provisional registration will be granted to teachers who demonstrate that they are qualified,
fit to teach and competent in the English language, but are yet to provide evidence that they
meet the standards of professional practice required for full registration in Victoria (refer to
page 6). Provisional registration is granted for a period of 12 months, but can be extended
for a period up to a further 12 months. During this time the teacher must provide evidence
that they have achieved the standards of professional practice required for full registration.
To apply for provisional registration please complete Form A (Part A) only.
Page 8- Please read carefully and ensure you provide all the documentation and certified copies.
Page 10 – Refer to Personal details

Provide the requested information, and a certified copy of your birth certificate, passport
entry indicating place and date of birth or a citizenship certificate indicating your date of
birth. (An extract of birth, driver’s licence or baptismal certificate is NOT acceptable.)
                                                                                                   13 | P a g e
If applicable, please provide a certified copy of evidence of all name changes, e.g. marriage
certificate, decree nisi, deed poll. Where you are known by another name, please provide a
Statutory Declaration stating clearly the name you are known by, if different from your
official documents, e.g. Dimitrios/Jim.

This will assist in authenticating your personal details.
If you provide evidence that you are an experienced teacher and meet the standards of
professional practice, you will be granted full registration. Refer to pages 4 to 6 for
information about full registration. If you do not meet the standards of professional
practice, you will be granted provisional registration.

Page 15 or Part A, we strongly suggest you post your application in Canada 6-
10 weeks prior to coming to Australia. Ensure you have all your certified
documents attached to your application and you take a copy of the entire
application. This also ensures when you have your VIT registration, once you
step off the plane, you can commence working as a teacher. Post your
application by the quickest means in Canada.
By Mail
The Victorian Institute of Teaching
PO Box 531
Collins Street West
Victoria 8007

Telephone: +61 3 1300 888 067
Facsimile: 8601 5801
Please do not submit your application by fax.

Incomplete applications will not be processed. The Institute is unable to waive
requirements for documents, and may require additional
documentation beyond the published requirements of this application form.

When you are filling out the application, refer to the notes on each page and
ensure you have provided all details, certify the copies and make a copy of the

Please print legibly and take your time when completing the application. If you
need further help, email or ring us and we will be happy to help.

                                                                                  14 | P a g e
Visa application:
Citizens of countries who can work in Australia on the 417 Working Holiday Maker Visa

Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong
Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway,
Sweden, Taiwan and United Kingdom.

       Follow either of these links to the application site or
       We suggest you contact the nearest Australian Consulate to get all the visa
       information, see the above web site for phone and email details. On this site is also a
       large amount of information about Australia, its culture and diversity, take your time
       to have a good look at the information provided.

Most Canadians will apply for a 417 Work Holiday visa. This allows the recipient to work a
total of 12 months with no more than 6 months with a single employer. For example, work
with REdP as a supply teacher for 6 months and then 6 months on contract with another
school or employer. You can apply online and it is granted quickly. Remember you can only
ever get one 417 visa and once you have fulfilled your stay, you must leave.

While working with us you may be offered a contract which will necessitate applying for a
457 Sponsored or 418 Education visa. The 457 or 418 are only valid for the term of the

The advantages of the 417 Work Holiday visa are numerous

       1. Simple online application
       2. If you are coming to Australia on this visa, the timing of your holiday is
          important. The best chance of supply or casual relief teaching work is always
          between the months of March through to December of any year. If you arrange
          to take your holiday prior or after those dates, supply work is plentiful. You also
          have the option of holidaying during our term breaks as well, see page 16 for
          school term dates. Working as a supply teacher (supply =CRT casual relief
          teacher) you can earn up to $1500 a fortnight (a two week period and working
          for the entire 10 days). Another possibly to further augment your salary, is to
          work for cash-in-hand in a bar or restaurant*. If you work for cash in hand
          payments you will not be taxed or receive superannuation payments.
       3. Resource Ed Personnel as do all Australian employers will pay a 9%
          superannuation component as well as your net wage. This is paid into your
          nominated Superannuation (pension) account which. When you notify the
          Australian Taxation Office that you are leaving AUS you can access these
          amounts see
       4. In the meantime we will have your CV to distribute throughout our school
          network. And you will be paid for your CRT work in a variety of schools
          demonstrating your skills to the school’s administration.
                                                                                        15 | P a g e
       5. *If you wish to further augment your salary you can work in pubs, clubs,
          restaurants etc and are paid cash-in-hand (under the counter) with no pension
          payments. Remember our wages are 3 to 4 times greater per hour than Canadian
       6. Once in AUS and working, your chances to secure a contract are greatly
       7. You can also travel out of AUS on the 417 to Bali for example, a cheap holiday.
       8. Once your year is completed you must leave AUS. However, you can apply for
          another visa if you are successful in securing a teaching position as a sponsored

457 Sponsored and 418 Education Visas

       These types of visas are only available when either
       a. We or you secure a position where the employer is guaranteeing you
          employment. This type of visa is very difficult to obtain while you are in Canada
          and not teaching in Melbourne.
       b. Or, we or you secure a position with an employer whilst on a 417 visa. This would
          be the normal case where you are working in Melbourne under the 417 visa
          when a school offers you a contract position.


Last year REdP placed over 400 teachers into short and long term contracts into Melbourne
schools. If you are in Melbourne working as a CRT, your chances to obtain a teaching
contract are greatly enhanced.

It is better for you to be working as a CRT and being paid up to $1500 per fortnight while
waiting for a contract and you are also gathering valuable teaching experience in a diverse
number Melbourne schools

Lastly, working as a CRT allows the principal (who hires the teaching staff) to see you teach.

Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
Tax File Number: TFN Application

Apply for a tax file number from the Australian Taxation Office and
*Declare your TFN to your Employer

Application for refund of superannuation

                                                                                   16 | P a g e
Use the above links to apply for a TFN, this will ensure you pay the least amount of tax
whilst you are working in Australia. See below for information for online application.
Thoroughly read all the information and follow the Next buttons to complete the
application. Remember, you must have a valid visa to make application.
The application for a TFN can take many weeks so careful planning is advised.

*All employees must sign a TFN form (on our web site, go to *link above) declaring their TFN
to their employers. This form is different from the application for a Tax File Number, which
you apply for from the ATO.

“TFN application for temporary visitors and permanent migrants

The following pages will take you through the registration process to apply for an Australian
tax file number (TFN). You do not require a TFN to work in Australia, but it is to your
advantage to have one. If you do not, you may pay higher tax and have no entitlement to
government benefits that you may otherwise be eligible for. Residents and temporary
visitors are required to pay taxes on income earned in Australia.

Visitors and permanent migrants need authorisation from the Department of Immigration
and Citizenship (DIAC) to work in Australia. Note - solely receiving a TFN is not an
authorisation for you to work in Australia.

During this application process, checks will be made with DIAC to verify that you have:

      a valid permanent migrant visa, or
      a valid visa with work rights, or
      a valid overseas student visa, or
      a valid visa allowing you to stay in Australia indefinitely.

If you do not have one of the valid visas listed above please exit now - you are not entitled
to apply for a TFN via this application. If you believe you should have such a visa, contact
your nearest DIAC Office. A list of offices and further information on visas and work rights
can be found on the DIAC website at

What is a tax File number? This address explains why, we have TFNs.

School term dates

                                                                                   17 | P a g e
First Term 29 January - 20 March
                                      Holidays 21 March - 6 April
2nd Term 7 April - 27 June
                                      Holidays 28 June - 13 July
3rd Term 14 July - 19 September
                                      Holidays 20 September - 5 October

4th Term 6 October - 19 December
                                      Holidays 20 December- January 27 2009

Term Dates 2009
Term 1       28 January to 3 April
Term 2       20 April to 26 June
Term 3       13 July to 18 September
Term 4       5 October to 18 December

Cost of living in Melbourne
Living in Toronto is about the same as Melbourne. The style, amenities, transport and
housing etc is basically the same. Although, most Victorians live in our suburbs rather than
the CBD (central business district = Downtown). The cost of some food items are slightly
dearer, for example, the cost of coffee and a cookie at Tim Horton’s is quite cheap, in
Melbourne it would be at least a dollar or more dearer, unless you went to McDonalds for a
similar type of meal. The major difference between costs of food is wages, in Australia
wages are far higher for servers in bars etc.

Tipping is not a general practice in Australia, an example may clarify this. Some Australians
may when they have received courtesy service or the quality of the food was extremely
good at a restaurant, leave a tip. There is no set percentage or amount, nor is it specified on
the bill. Tipping is totally discretionary and is not generally the accepted practice in

Transport in and around Melbourne
We have diverse transport systems which include trains, buses and trams. Which in general
are controlled by coordinated timetables. The best way to find out about transport is to go
to this web site

                                                                                    18 | P a g e
Some examples of travel times are

Melbourne (M14) to Frankston (N15) by train would be just over an hour

Melbourne to Werribee (L15) by train would be approximately 30 minutes

See also

Our CRTs would not be asked to travel from Melbourne to Frankston. However, they would
be asked to travel from Melbourne to Werribee. Most of our CRT’s work is within 30
minutes of their homes. 95% of all our schools fall in between Frankston (south), Werribee
(west) Melton (north) and Ringwood (east). In these areas we have over 250 schools in
which we place CRTs and contract teachers.

                                                                                19 | P a g e
Below is the suburban train routes

                                     20 | P a g e
Below are the tram routes (and transport link) in the suburbs and the CBD (Downtown) of

Refer to the link for all transport information.

Accommodation in Melbourne
I suggest you Google, accommodation Melbourne apartments and the choices are endless
for example and
In Toronto there is extremely high priced housing and in other places, cheaper alternatives
are available. Generally, the further out of Melbourne you go, the cheaper it will be.
However, living in Downtown Melbourne gives access to all the many varied cultural
experiences Melbourne has to offer and the choices of accommodation are quite diverse.
Coming with a friend is a great way to reduce costs, share experiences and increase your

                                                                                 21 | P a g e
Consider: Backpackers or hostel types of accommodation or


I would suggest when you first arrive you stay at either a backpackers or hostel until you
find your feet and have a better idea where you want to stay. There are thousands of real
estate agents and local newspapers with apartment, condos and houses for rent.

A New Life in Melbourne
Or, alternatively contact for a
complete and professional service ranging from pickup at the airport to arranging
accommodation with food, furniture, white goods and bank accounts already done for you.

This service will charge a fee depending on the services you choose but, it is professional
service and that is what you pay for.

By all means email us for advice and we will happily point you in the right direction for
accommodation in Melbourne.

Opening a Bank in Melbourne
This web address lists all the banks, building societies etc that can accept payments. You
may also find your Canadian bank that has branches in Melbourne, check with your local
bank. When we pay you, we need to have an accredited bank account to direct credit your

Our company uses the Victorian Teachers Credit Union for all
facets of banking. In most suburbs and in Down Town Melbourne there are large numbers
of banks that can help you.

Most of the institutions have online banking facilities with access to automatic tellers and

 Mobile Phones
 Your phone may or may not be compatible with networks in Australia. You may have to get a SIM
 card and new number from an Australian supplier. As in Canada there are many options ranging
 from pre-paids to plans, it is your best interests to research what your needs are in terms of mobile

                                                                                         22 | P a g e
communication. This link may help make a decision on the huge
number of options available to you. Skype is an obvious option for international and local calls as
well, Check to see if your phone is locked thus making it
inoperable for some local networks.

Internet Service provider

For an independent appraisal of your broadband needs, I suggest you go to Like mobiles, broadband has myriads of IP and plans, Telstra is Australia’s
biggest IP and has many options with landlines, IP and mobile services. However, better deals can
be done with some further research.

Some Other Interesting Bits of Information
About Melbourne
Interested in Learning More about Melbourne?
Monthly Activities Around the City
Public Transport
Public Transportation Around Melbourne is Easy and Affordable
Where to Travel in Victoria?

Approximate Travel Time from Melbourne to other Cities

                                                      By Plane          By Road
Adelaide                                              1 hour             8 hours
Canberra                                              1 hour             7 hours
Sydney                                                1 hour             12 hours
Brisbane                                              2 hours            18 hours
Gold Coast                                            2 hours            17 hours
Ayer’s Rock – Alice Springs                           2 hours            24 hours
Perth                                                 3 hours            36 hours

                                                                                        23 | P a g e
  Darwin                                               3 hours           40 hours
  Tasmania                                             30 min (Plane), 7 hours (Sea Ferry)
  What's the Weather Like?
  Need a Place to Live?

Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long can I work in Australia for?
   On a Working Holiday Maker Visa, you are able to work with any one employer for a maximum
   of 6 months at a time. A Working Holiday Maker Visa is valid for one year. The visa application
   process can be completed online.

    Visit link below for further information:

    Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs and Citizenship

            Working Holiday Visa General Information
            Visa Costs
            Online Application

2. If I am 30+ years old, can I teach in Australia?
   Yes you can, but you would be unable to work under the Working Holiday Maker Visa (417). You
   would need to be sponsored by a school or business under the Business Sponsorship Visa (457).
   If you are interested in obtaining more information, please visit Department of Immigration and
   Multicultural Affairs and Citizenship

3. Can I begin teaching in the middle of the Australian school year?
   Many of our casual relief vacancies occur in schools in the middle of the year due to unexpected
   changes in staffing and casual employment can be offered for periods of up to 30 consecutive
   school days.

4. Once I am working in Australia, is there anyway to stay longer than one year?
   There are opportunities for some teachers to extend their stay via a 457-Business Sponsorship
   Visa. For more information, please visit Department of Immigration website or contact us.

5. What do I need to do in order to teach in Victoria?
   Teachers need to register with the Victoria Institute of Teaching (VIT) in order for their
   qualifications to be recognized here in Victoria. The application process can take up to 3 months
   and can only be sent by mail. This is something to consider early in your decision.

6. Should I apply for VIT registration early even if I am only graduating from teachers

                                                                                         24 | P a g e
    college this year and do not have my final transcripts?
    VIT recommends that anyone that is just completing their degree should still send all the
    registration forms and other documentation to the department. Once you have received your
    final transcripts, a certified copy can be sent to them to add to your record and then your
    application will be processed.

7. What does the school year look like in Australia?
   For School Term dates please use the links below

            Victorian Government Schools
            Other States in Australia

8. Can I work as a casual relief teacher before or after a contract commitment to a
   Yes! You can register as a casual relief teacher with our company and notify when you are
   available to do relief teaching. You can choose to do casual relief teaching the entire time you
   are in Melbourne.

9. If I want to do casual relief teaching (CRT) full-time, how much work will I get through
   the year?
   This varies by the subject area you teach, the time of year, your teaching experience, your
   flexibility with teaching locations, and the quality of relationship you form with schools you visit
   will all affect your prospects.

10. Where are the schools located?
    Resource Ed Australia schools are across Melbourne and the surrounding suburbs. Many of our
    schools are accessible by public transport. For more information and a map of the area click

11. Is it possible to teach in other parts of Australia other than Melbourne?
    We suggest you go to the Australia Teachers website where there are job vacancies across the
    country including CRT opportunities.

12. What does the Australian curriculum look like?
    Victorian Curriculum & Assessment Authority (VCAA)

    The VCAA is responsible for the provision of high quality curriculum and assessment programs
    for all students in Victoria. This website will give you information about all year levels and
    subject areas.

    VCE (Years 11 & 12) Curriculum      - This website provides information on Year 11 and 12

    Victorian Essential Learning Standards (VELS)

    This website provides an overview of the new approach to Victorian curriculum from Prep to
                                                                                           25 | P a g e
    Year 10.

13. What are teaching salaries like in Australia?
    Salaries do vary depending on the type of school and also the amount of past teaching
    experience that you have and will be recognized by the school or department. To get a general
    idea, please visit Victorian Department of Education & Early Childhood here.

14. Are there other British, NZ and Canadian teachers also working in Melbourne?
    We have a significant number of British, NZ and Canadian teachers who have been working here
    for the past year with some teachers extending their stay. Have a look at our Teacher
    Testimonials page for more information on our Teachers' Experiences.

15. If I am already in Australia or if I am planning to come to Australia in the near future,
    can Resource Ed Australia assist me with casual relief teaching opportunities?
    Definitely! As long as you are on a Working Holiday Maker Visa, or a visa that allows you to work
    in Australia, then you are eligible to apply to teach here in Victoria. Once you are VIT registered
    we can assist you with casual relief teaching opportunities. Contact us at anytime and we will do
    our best to assist you.

Some Interesting Australian Facts & Humour
       Electricity in Australia is 240 volts and a switch is on the plug body to turn the power on or
        off. If you bring electrical components to Australia, make sure you have appropriate
       Some toilet humour- the water does go in the opposite direction to the Northern
       In Australia we have 6 states and 2 territories-
        States of Australia:
        Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia
        Territories in Australia:
        Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory, Canberra our capital is in the ACT.
       Melbourne has been voted the World’s Most Liveable City on a number of occasions.
       The highest point in Australia is Mt Kosciusko in New South Wales (2230 metres)
       The lowest overnight ground temperatures recorded in Australia was at Canberra with
         -15.1 degrees and Stanthorpe in Queensland with -11.0 degrees.
       The hottest temperature recorded was 53°C (127°F) at Cloncurry, Queensland in 1889
       There are about 280 species of mammals, 800 of bird, 300 of lizard, 140 of snake and two of
        crocodile. Of the mammals, almost half are marsupials. The rest are either placental
        mammals or monotremes and most are unique to Australia.
       Australia is the only continent without current volcanic activity - the last eruption took place
        1400 years ago at Mt. Gambier.
       The flag of Australia is the only one to fly over a whole continent. The small Union Jack
        represents the historical link with Britain, the large seven-pointed star represents the six
        States and the combined Territories and the small stars form the Southern Cross - a
        prominent feature of the southern hemisphere night sky.
       Female vote - Australia was the second country to give women the vote.
                                                                                           26 | P a g e
   The Fierce Snake or Inland Taipan has the most toxic venom of any snake. Maximum yield
    recorded (for one bite) is 110mg. That would probably be enough to kill over 100 people or
    250,000 mice.
   Australia is the smallest, flattest, and driest inhabited continent in the world. It is the only
    country which is also a whole continent.
   Over 90% of Australia is dry, flat and arid. Almost three-quarters of the land cannot support
    agriculture in any form
   Emus and kangaroos cannot walk backwards, and are on the Australian coat of arms for that
   The box jellyfish is considered the world's most venomous marine creature. The box jellyfish
    has killed more people in Australia than stonefish, sharks and crocodiles combined.
   The Sydney Funnelweb spider is considered the world's most deadly spider. It is the only
    spider that has killed people in less than 2 hours. Its fangs are powerful enough to bite
    through gloves and fingernails. The only animals without immunity to the Funnelweb's
    venom are humans and monkeys.
   Longest fence - The 'dingo fence' in Australia is the longest fence in the world and is about
    twice as long as the Great Wall of China.
   Dropbears are an evil species of koala that fall from trees and attack humans. This evil strain
    of koala doesn’t actually exist. The creature created as a story to Americans and other
    international travellers.
   Bunyips haunt rivers, swamps, creeks and billabongs. Their main goal in life is to cause
    nocturnal terror by eating people or animals in their vicinity. They are renowned for their
    terrifying bellowing cries in the night and have been known to frighten Aborigines to the
    point where they would not approach any water source where a Bunyip might be waiting to
    devour them. Some scientists believe the Bunyip was a real animal, the diprotodon, extinct
    for some 20,000 years.
   Australia does not have bears however, we do have the koala.
   In winter it does not snow in any of Australia’s capital cities.
   Phar Lap was Australia's greatest race horse winning 37 of his 51 starts. After handicappers
    saddled him with enough weight to stop a train, his owner took him overseas to race in
    America. He easily won his first race but then died in mysterious circumstances.
   Australia is one of the world’s most urbanised countries, with about 70 per cent of the
    population living in the 10 largest cities.

                                                                                       27 | P a g e
Contact details
Ian Smith Managing Director
Resource Ed Australia
P: +61 3 9752 1730
F: +61 3 9752 1734

Please go to our web sites for further information
Resource Ed Personnel supply teaching service
Resource Ed Australia this site is specifically targeted at Canadian and
international teachers
Australia Teachers Online CV service

Best of luck, don’t hesitate to call or email if you have a question.

Ian A Smith
Ian Smith Managing Director Resource Ed Australia

Melbourne Downtown or (CBD-Central Business District) as Australians call their city precents.

                                                                                        28 | P a g e

To top