Dear UK-Gatton Undergraduate Student:
The attached questionnaire has been developed to follow the attitudes of
Kentucky undergraduate students over time. Your class was randomly
selected to participate in the survey this Fall 2001 semester. Please answer
each question carefully as every response is valuable to our continuing
effort to make the program a better experience.
The questions relate to the unndergraduate program and should be
answered based upon your overall experience to date. When you have
finished, wait quietly until alL class members have completed their answers
and your professor has collected the questionnaires. As you complete the
questions understand that there are no right and wrong answers. We want
your honest opinions, so please be assured that our office will maintain the
cOnfidentiallity of your answers. As a results, we also ask that you do not
place your names on he questionnaire.
Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Professor Donald Mullineaux
Director, School of Management
Gatton College of Business and Economics
2001 KENTUCKY UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT QUESTIONNAIRE
GENERAL PROGRAM EVALUATION
1. How would you evaluate the University of Kentucky's undergraduate program?
Very Neither Satisfied Very
Dissatisfied Dissatisfied nor Dissatisfied Satisfied Satisfied
1 2 3 4 5
2. In comparison to the other eleven universities in the SEC, where would you rank the
University of Kentucky's program for each of the items listed below? Please select the
Best in the Average in Worst in the
Big Ten the Big Ten Big Ten
Affordability 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Location 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Academic Reputation 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Job Placement 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
3. List three disadvantages of attending the undergraduate program at the University of
4. If you had a friend with career goals and interests similar to yours, how likely would you be to
recommend that they enroll in Kentucky's undergraduate program?
Very Unlikely Unlikely Not Sure Likely Very Likely
1 2 3 4 5
5. Which of the following features was most important to you when you were selecting a school for
your undergraduate education? (select one)
1 Academic Reputation 2 Placement 3 Location
6. After coursework has been completed, do you believe that a final proficiency exam should be
required before graduating from the Kentucky undergraduate program?
1 Yes 2 No 3 Don't know
7. Do you think that five or more years of full or part-time work experience would be beneficial for
students before entering the undergraduate program?
1 Definitely yes 3 Probably not
2 Probably yes 4 Definitely not 5 Don't Know
CURRENT PROGRAM INFORMATION
8. If you could change one thing about the undergraduate program at Kentucky, what would you
change and how would you change it?
9. How many hours per week must you study to perform well in your classes?
LEGISLATION AFFECTING HIGHER EDUCATION
10. Do you support the tuition tax credit, which would allow parents of students to deduct tuition
payments from their taxable incomes and reduce the tax revenues available to support
1 Yes 2 No
11. What effect do you think President Bush’s proposed Federal Assistance Reallocation Act of 2001
will have had on public and private college enrollments if passed by Congress?
1 Increase private college enrollments
2 Increase public college enrollments
3 No effect on enrollments
4 Don’t know
12. How much will state financial aid be increased under Governor Patton’s proposed Quality
Education Improvement legislation?
1 $370 million
2 $390 million
3 $410 million
4 $430 million
5 $450 million
6 Don't Know
13. Please list the schools in the SEC.
6. 12. _______________
14. The following questions relate to your attitude toward the undergraduate program at the U of
KY. Please circle the answer which best represents how you feel. Remember, there are no
right or wrong answers, so answer each question as honestly as possible.
a. The information that I have
learned at the U of KY will be
valuable to my career. 1 2 3 4 5
b. The instructors that I have
had at the U of KY have
enabled me to learn more. 1 2 3 4 5
c. The U of KY's policies and rules
have not been fair. 1 2 3 4 5
d. I think the courses I have
taken at the U of KY will be
helpful to me. 1 2 3 4 5
e. The U of KY does not provide
a good education relative to
its monetary cost. 1 2 3 4 5
f. If I had to do it all over again,
I would not attend the U of KY. 1 2 3 4 5
15. As you may know, Dean Furst is considering submitting a request for construction of a new
building. Part of the plan is to include a hotel with a full service restaurant. The restaurant
would be open until 10 PM and would be open on weekends to serve our special programs and
conferences. Before we consider the proposal, we would like to learn about how you view out-
of-home dining. In particular, we are interested in your views regarding out-of-home dining for
your evening meal. Listed below are several statements regarding restaurant selection for an
“everyday” dining experience. Please indicate how strongly you agree with each statement by
placing a check in the appropriate box.
(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)
1. I talk to my friends and neighbors
about restaurants very often.
2. I provide my friends and neighbors
with a great deal of information
3. I find discussing restaurants to be
4. In the last six months, I have told
many people about restaurants.
5. Restaurant choice is really of no
concern to me.
6. The choice of restaurant is essential to
my dining pleasure.
7. Among my circle of friends, I am
most likely to be asked for advice
regarding restaurant choice.
8. Restaurant choice is unimportant to me.
9. Selecting a restaurant is unappealing
10. I generally go along with my
friends’ recommendations regarding
restaurant choice, rather than impose
my preferences on them.
11. Restaurant choice means a lot to me.
12. I usually tell my friends more about
restaurants than they tell me.
13. Overall, my friends and neighbors often
use me as a source of advice on
14. Restaurant choice is a fundamental
concern I have.
16. Considering the times you ate your evening meal at a restaurant during the past two weeks,
how much in total did you spend?
________total amount spent in Dollars
17. Overall, how happy or unhappy are you with your experience while in the undergraduate
program at the University of Kentucky along the following areas? Please rate your experience
by using a scale of 0 (totally unhappy) to 100 (totally happy) for each of the areas.
_________ social interaction with peers
_________ opportunity to interact with faculty
_________ entertainment through student events, including clubs and
_________ the education you have gotten
_________ your overall experience
18. What year in your undergraduate program are you? (circle one)
1 Not a student
2 First year
3 Second year
4 Third year
5 Fourth year or longer
19. Are you...
1 Married (engaged) 2 Single
20. What is your gender?
1 Male 2 Female
21. What is your age?
1 Under 23 years 2 23 to 25 years 3 26 to 28 years
4 29 to 35 years 5 36 to 40 years 6 Over 40 years
22. What is your height (in inches)?
23. In what area are you concentrating your business studies? (circle one)
7. My area is outside of the Gatton School
8. Don’t have a designated major/area of concentration
9. Not sure
10. Other (please specify) ______________________________