925 E. McDowell Road, 2nd Floor
Phoenix, AZ 85006
City of Hope-Banner Cancer Screening &
Many people believe cancer strikes at random, but cancer and review steps you could take to lessen
that's not always true. Often, hereditary or genetic the likelihood of developing the disease. If genetic
factors increase an individual’s risk for cancer. testing is indicated, you will be fully educated
about the process so you can make an informed
That's why Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center decision.
created a comprehensive cancer screening and
prevention program. 3. If an individual chooses to undergo genetic testing,
a blood sample will be taken and analyzed. You
The City of Hope-Banner Cancer Screening & will have a face-to-face discussion for test results
Prevention Program focuses on family history, and recommendations for care. From the
genetics, and environmental and lifestyle factors to information gained during this process, you can
determine if you are at risk of getting cancer. If you learn how to outsmart cancer through personally
are, we can help reduce that risk. designed prevention and early detection
Know the Key Indicators of Hereditary Cancer
Recent advances in research clearly indicate a link Mission Statement
between genes and cancer. This link is often strongest The City of Hope-Banner Cancer Screening &
in families where: Prevention Program is committed to being a national
leader in the advancement of cancer genetics,
• Cancer occurs at a much younger age than average screening and prevention through innovative patient
• Cancer occurs in more than one generation care, research and education.
• Cancer occurs in several close relatives
• More than one type of cancer occurs in the same Questions?
close relative For more information, please contact Jane Congleton,
• Cancer occurs in paired organs (e.g. cancer in both MS, RN, CGC, certified genetic counselor and cancer
breasts) risk counselor at City of Hope-Banner Cancer
• Several rare cancers occur in a family Screening & Prevention Program, at (602) 839-6385.
The City of Hope-Banner Cancer Screening &
Prevention Program takes a three-step approach to
help you understand and minimize risks.
1. Individuals meet with our expert clinical staff to
review their family's medical history. Together we will
construct a family tree to uncover cancer patterns.
2. We will provide our assessment of your risk for
Our Mission: We exist to make a difference in people’s lives through excellent patient care.