If an appliance needs adjusting or cleaning, Make sure the ﬂexible cord on cord reels is fully SAFETY SWITCHES SWITCH OFF the power and PULL OUT unwound. Overheating may occur if used to the PLUG – not by the cord. supply high wattage appliances when coiled. Safety switches automatically disconnect power supply in the event of a fault. They are available in three basic types: Household cleaners, detergents and – The permanently installed switchboard insecticides may cause cracking and ALWAYS treat a tingle or slight shock as a unit that can be wired into your existing ELECTRICAL SAFETY SAFETY GUIDE create an electrical hazard if sprayed warning – advise your electricity authority or a switchboard and provide protection for the on electrical accessories. Registered Electrical Contractor immediately. whole house or just for speciﬁc circuits. NEVER touch an appliance which caused – The power outlet unit simply replaces an Energy Safe Victoria Never connect a piggyback plug or ordinary a shock until it has been disconnected from existing wall socket and functions as a Phone (03) 9203 9700 the power source. Label it clearly to prevent Fax (03) 9686 2197 plug to the appliance end of an extension lead normal socket. anyone else from using it until it has been Web www.esv.vic.gov.au as the pins will be live. Fatal accidents have repaired and tested or replace it completely. – The portable unit provides a link between been caused by this arrangement. the normal outlet and a tool or appliance. Teach children that electrical appliances, Even if you consider yourself to be handy cords, switches and outlets are not play things. around the home, DO NOT attempt electrical Safety shuttered outlets as well as plastic work of any kind. ALWAYS get it done by a covers for ordinary type outlets are available. Registered Electrical Contractor - knowledge and experience of that person is your best All safety switches have one thing in common protection. – THEY SAVE LIVES. They have the ability to Frayed or damaged cords are dangerous switch off current in 30 milliseconds. That’s and should be replaced immediately. Many one-thirtieth of a heartbeat! Fast enough to old plugs do not have safety barriers between OVERSEAS prevent a severe shock, minimise the danger the connections – replace them with TRAVELLERS of a ﬁre and save a life. modern plugs. Some electrical articles purchased overseas However they do not give you or your family may not operate satisfactorily under Australian the freedom to be careless with electricity. conditions and may not comply with our safety standards – such articles could be hazardous Keep the ﬂexible cord well clear of your electric if used without modiﬁcation. If you purchase ELECTRIC SHOCK edge trimmer or lawn mower when in use. electrical articles from overseas, have them Resuscitation If the cord is damaged, don’t touch the checked ﬁrst BEFORE USE. Remember the person is electriﬁed until released. Take precautions edge trimmer or mower – switch power off at the plug. against receiving a shock yourself by immediately switching off the electricity where practical. The person must be pulled or pushed REMEMBER clear of hazard using dry non-conducting material such as wood, DON’T DO IT YOURSELF - CALL A REGISTERED rope, clothing, rubber or plastic. DO NOT use metal or anything moist. Where necessary, prevent the person from sustaining further injury ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR! by falling. Send for an ambulance or a doctor immediately. Electric blankets like all other electrical appliances must be used in strict accordance All electrical wiring work, including the connection of ﬁxed appliances with the manufacturer’s instructions. Tie such as rangehoods, water heaters etc., must be carried out by a Rescue the tapes so that the blanket can’t crease. Registered Electrical Contractor. The ﬁrst 3 minutes are vital! Act immediately, assess level of Have your electric blanket inspected Anyone interfering with electrical wiring is not only breaking consciousness and then…if person is not breathing, commence at least once every ﬁve years. the law but runs the risk of a serious accident. expired air resuscitation. USE ELECTRICITY WATER AND ELECTRICITY SAFELY ARE A DANGEROUS MIXTURE Every year too many people lose their lives through An electric shock received in the swimming Portable generator sets can be just as DO NOT ﬂy kites or model aeroplanes STAY CLEAR OF OVERHEAD electrical accidents. This leaﬂet shows the major pool area is more likely to be fatal than in other dangerous as mains supply if misused. anywhere near overhead powerlines/wires. locations – bare feet, minimum clothing and Before connecting to house supply, check POWERLINES causes of electrical accidents and how to avoid them. wet skin effectively reduce body resistance. with your electricity supply authority. Every year people die as a result of accidental Many fatal accidents occur as a result of unqualiﬁed A shock from as low as 2 Volts IN WATER contact with overhead powerlines. people attempting to repair electrical equipment. could be sufﬁcient to cause paralysis resulting in drowning. Use only approved hand-lamps, which Tip trucks, irrigation pipes, boat masts, are ﬁtted with guards to protect the lamp. cranes, grain augers and aerials have all Temporary or makeshift arrangements are Home made hand-lamps have caused Fallen and sagging wires are dangerous – caused fatal accidents if they have come DON’T DO IT YOURSELF – CALL A hazardous. Never use a portable electrical many fatalities. don’t touch, stand clear, stand guard and into contact with powerlines. REGISTERED ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR appliance or place an extension cord where send for help. Notify the local electricity it could be splashed or fall into the pool. Remember that electricity can spark across authority or police. from powerlines, so even a close approach THE IMPORTANCE OF Because water conducts electricity, to them can kill. EARTH WIRES DO NOT touch electrical appliances LOOK UP AND LIVE. Many deaths have occurred due to the Earth wires in appliance cords and in your electrical or switches with wet hands. misuse of electric arc welders. Human contact installation are your life-lines. You could receive a fatal shock. between the electrode and the work can Keep clear of electric wires attached be fatal. Strictly observe established safety to your house or shed. In the event of a fault occurring, power will ﬂow to earth precautions. by the shortest and easiest path. If the appliance is not Never leave an electrical appliance When using a metal ladder, you are in effect, properly earthed, the power may well ﬂow through the where it can fall into the bath or basin. in metallic contact with the ground. Even the body of the user….resulting perhaps in a fatal shock! simplest of tasks such as changing a lamp, Don’t leave unattended with children. IN FLEXIBLE CORDS, THE GREEN/YELLOW OR should be performed with great care. Unplug after use. The use of oversized fuse wire can cause ﬁres. GREEN WIRE IS THE EARTH WIRE AND MUST When a fuse blows repeatedly, there is a fault ALWAYS BE CONNECTED TO THE LONGEST PIN somewhere…have it checked out by a MARKED ‘E’ OR ‘EARTH’. DO NOT use a portable electric radiator Multiple plugs can overload the power point Registered Electrical Contractor. Be careful where you dig, there may be in the bathroom. A permanently installed and wiring – having another power point The earth wires from your power points join a main buried cables. If there is any doubt, call heater is much safer. installed by a Registered Electrical Contractor earth wire, which in turn is attached to a metal stake Dial Before You Dig on 1100 or visit is a cheaper option than a ﬁre driven into the ground and/or a metal water pipe. This www.dialbeforeyoudig.com.au. connection should be checked from time to time to see that it is still connected and is not damaged. Switch off all heating appliances if the power fails – ﬁres have been caused when the If it is necessary to have the earth wire shifted for any It is safe practice to wear rubber or plastic power returns unexpectedly. Combustible reason, or any metal water pipe altered or replaced by soled shoes when using electrical appliances material must be kept well clear of all heating Makeshift extension cords and cords which a plastic water pipe or ﬁttings, contact a Registered in laundries, on concrete ﬂoors or out of doors. appliances. Climbing transmission line towers or entering have no earth wire are dangerous. If you have Electrical Contractor ﬁrst. Many victims of serious and fatal electrical substations can result in electrocution as any doubt about the safety of an extension accidents are barefooted. both carry extremely high voltages. lead, replace it with a pre-assembled type KEEP WELL CLEAR of them. with a moulded plug and socket. Never attach swings, clothes lines, hanging baskets or the like of, around beams to Remember that electricity can jump a which electrical wiring is attached. surprisingly long distance from high voltage Broken switches and sockets are dangerous. The supply cord to your caravan must be equipment. Cover them up and have them replaced by in good condition and rated at 15 amps. a Registered Electrical Contractor. Beware of overhead powerlines/wires when erecting TV antennas.
Pages to are hidden for
"If an appliance needs adjusting or cleaning SWITCH OFF the"Please download to view full document