FINDING THE TRUE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD
By: Dr. Gary G. Dull
INTRO: In the study of the Bible, it is interesting to note what it says about “knowledge” in the last days.
In Daniel 12:4 we are told that in the “time of the end,” “MANY WILL RUN TO AND FRO, AND
KNOWLEDGE SHALL BE INCREASED.” In 2 Timothy 3: 7 we are told that in the “last days,” people
will be “EVER LEARNING, AND NEVER ABLE TO COME TO THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE
TRUTH.” Certainly, we can see that both prophecies have come true. But the knowledge people are
gaining is not a biblical, spiritual or godly knowledge. It is a secular knowledge, void of God and biblical
values! Yet, IT IS IMPERITAVE THAT PEOPLE FIND THE TRUE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD! How is
that to be done? Our text gives the way to FIND THE TRUE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD.
NOTE: Proverbs 2:1-5 is teaching us how to obtain a TURE AND IN-DEPTH UNDERSTANDING OF
GOD, AND HIS WORD! It is MORE THAN just a GENERAL AND SUPERFICIAL KNOWLEDGE,
which even so many Christians have today.
OBSERVATION: The text begins with the phrase, “MY SON.” What does this imply?
1) It shows that Solomon is speaking to his son, Rehoboam.
2) It shows that an elder man is speaking to a younger man.
3) It shows that God is speaking to His children.
4) It shows that a father is speaking to his children.
5) It shows that a teacher is speaking to his student.
BUT IT CERTAINLY IS AN EXHORTATION ON GAINING THE DEEP, RICH KNOWLEDGE OF
GOD! WE MUST ALL TAKE HEED!
I. THE CONDITION OF FINDING THE TRUE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD VSS. 1-4
A. A Willing Condition – Obtaining the knowledge of God DOES NOT come through a dictitory
statement from God or anyone else! The True Knowledge of God will only be obtained by those
who desire it. It is interesting to note that the literal expression of, “If thou will receive,” is
actually, “O THAT YOU WOULD RECEIVE.” IT IS NOT A COMMAND! IT IS A
“PERSONAL PLEA.” The response is a VOLUNTEER ACTION! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!
Note the words of the text.
1. “Receive My Words.” Vs. 1a – To welcome the Word of God graciously with meek anticipation.
That is, do not rebel to the Word of God.
2. “Hide my Commandments.” Vs. 1b – To lay up or store the commands of God away as one would
a great treasure. That is, memorize the Word of God.
3. “Incline thine Ear unto Wisdom.” Vs, 2a– To give diligent attention to what is being said in the
“inner ear” of the Holy Spirit and the “outer ear” of the human teaching of the Word of God.
That is, listen intently to teaching.
4. Apply thine Heart to understanding.” Vs. 2b – To tune the heart to its full scope of powers. That
is, put forth every effort to learn the principles of God.
B. A Working Condition – Obtaining the knowledge of God DOES NOT COME EASY OR TO A
LAZY CHRISTIAN. It only comes to those who are SERIOUSLY DISCIPLINED in the Word of
God. A casual Christian will NEVER have a deep blessed knowledge of God!
1. “Criest After Knowledge” Vs. 3a - To be “very sincere and earnest” as crying out for help. That
is, put forth great prayer energy in getting true knowledge through prayer and Bible study.
2. “Liftest Up Thy Voice for Understanding” Vs.3b – To be bring a “strong verbal expression” to
God for understanding the times and situations. That is, to seek discernment in daily trials.
3. “Seekest her (Knowledge) as silver” Vs 4a – To persevere in an unrelaxing, and diligent manner.
That is, to seek knowledge with the same intensity as a miner digging for silver.
4. “Searchest for her (Knowledge) as hid treasurers” Vs. 4b – To “dig out” true knowledge more
than one would for hidden treasure. That is, to go beyond casual reading of study of the Word
of God with an intense effort.
A SERIOUS OBSERVATION
Finding the true knowledge of God is not for a casual, lazy, worldly, rebellious Christian. It only comes
to a serious disciple of Christ. However, the EXHORTATION to FIND THE TRUE KNOLWEDGE OF
GOD is given to all who name the name of Christ! SPECIFICALLY IT TAKES:
1) An Intense Desire that is deeply rooted in the soul of the Christian.
2) An Earnest Prayer that is grounded in serious faith, focused on God.
3) A Diligent Study in the Word of God.
4) A Willing Faith to fully trust what God says.
APPLICATION: WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO OBTAIN THE TURE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD?
II. THE CONSEQUENCE OF FINDING THE TRUE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD VS. 5
A. The Understanding of the Fear of the Lord Vs. 5a
-One will truly discern what it means to FEAR THE LORD! Cp. 1:7.
B. The Unleashing of the Knowledge of God Vs. 5b
-One will obtain a WIDE SENSE of the greatness of God regarding WHO HE IS, WHAT HE
EXPECTS, WHAT HIS WORD TEACHES, WHAT HIS WILL IS, AND HOW TO PERFORM
APPLICATION: DO YOU HAVE THE TRUE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD?