2010-2011 Life in Perspective Application
Please be sure all information is complete and clearly legible. Applications must be postmarked by July 7.
High School (name and location):
Grade in 2010-11 school year (junior, senior etc.):
Home mailing address:
Have you ever applied to LIP before? (circle one) YES NO
Would you prefer to meet in Walnut Creek or Oakland? (circle one)
Journalism experience: (List high school journalism classes, working on your school newspaper, writing
for other publications, illustrations for school paper, online/multimedia experience)
Other extracurricular activities:
References: (List the name, phone number and e-mail of two adults (not your parents!) who we can
contact over the summer):
TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF:
1. How did you hear about LIP?
2. Why do you want to be on the LIP Board?
3. What do you want to write about? List three story ideas you’d be interested in pursuing. Be specific and
4. List a few hobbies or interests.
5. On a separate page, write a personal column telling us about an experience that changed your life. It
doesn’t matter if your story is serious or funny, we’re just looking to learn more about you and get a sense
of your writing style. The limit is 500 to 700 words.
6. Attach 2 writing samples — preferably including some clips of published articles. Essays, poems and
school papers are also OK. If you’re a visual journalist, attach copies of your illustrations or graphics.
Mail by July 7 to:
Attn: Ardua Harris
Bay Area News Group-East Bay
2640 Shadelands Drive
Walnut Creek CA 94598