Docstoc

Accredited Standards Committee_ N

Document Sample
Accredited Standards Committee_ N Powered By Docstoc
					Accredited Standards Committee*
National Committee for Information Technology Standards (NCITS)


                                                                                    Document Number: T13/e01124r0
                                                                                                Date: 20 Jun 2001
                                                                                             Reply to: Pete McLean

To:             Membership of T13

From:           Mark Evans, Secretary of T13, and Pete McLean, Chair of T13

Subject: Minutes of 29th T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings at Irvine, CA
         June 19 – June 20, 2001




                                                                   Agenda
1 Opening remarks ..................................................................................................................... 4

2 Approval of agenda ................................................................................................................. 4

3 Membership and attendance.................................................................................................... 4

     3.1        Membership................................................................................................................. 4
     3.2        Fees.............................................................................................................................. 5
     3.3        Attendance................................................................................................................... 5

4 Approval of the minutes from the previous T13 plenary meeting (e0118r0).......................... 6

5    Document distribution............................................................................................................. 6

6 Review of previous action items ............................................................................................. 7

7    Old business ............................................................................................................................ 7

     7.1        Status for EDD, project 1386-D (NCITS 347-2001) .................................................. 7
     7.2        Status of Address Offset Feature Technical Report, project 1407-DT (NCITS TR-27)7
     7.3        ATA/ATAPI-6 project 1410-D ................................................................................... 7

           7.3.1     Audio/Visual Model (d99135r5) [Bulik] .............................................................. 7
           7.3.2     Single device configurations ( ) [McFerrin].......................................................... 8
           7.3.3     INTRQ assertion, negation, release, pull-up (e01119r0) [Barras] ........................ 8
           7.3.4     Proposal for a General Purpose Feature Set (e00138r4) [Puri]............................. 8
           7.3.5     Review of the draft standard ................................................................................. 8

            *Operating under the procedures of The American National Standards Institute.
                NCITS Secretariat: Information Technology Industries Council (ITI)
                   1250 Eye Street, N.W., Suite 200, Washington, DC 20005-3922
              Email: ncits@itic.org Telephone: 202-737-8888 Fax: 202-638-4922
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001                                                         T13/e01124r0


           7.3.6 Schedule Review ................................................................................................... 8

     7.4        EDD – 2 project 1484-D (d1484r0) [Stevens] ............................................................ 8

           7.4.1 EDD raid option ROM proposal (e01125r0) [Stevens] ........................................ 9
           7.4.2 Packet sending services for EDD (e00143r1) [Stevens] ....................................... 9
           7.4.3 Draft review (d1484r0) [Stevens] ......................................................................... 9

     7.5        ATA/ATAPI Host Adapters project 1510-D............................................................... 9

           7.5.1 Draft review (d1510r0) [Goodfellow]................................................................... 9

     7.6        Proposal for command integrity checking (e00160r0) [McLean] ............................... 9
     7.7        Consolidated ATAPI PACKET command set (e00150r0) [Goodfellow]................... 9
     7.8        Extended cable lengths (e00151r1) [Goodfellow] .................................................... 10
     7.9        Larger sector size ( ) [Colegrove]............................................................................. 10
     7.10       Errata for ATA/ATAPI-5 (e01122r0) [McLean]....................................................... 10
     7.11       ATA/ATAPI-7 project .............................................................................................. 12

           7.11.1          Project proposal (e01116r0) [McLean] ......................................................... 12

     7.12       T13 Reflector, FTP, and Web Site Setup .................................................................. 12
     7.13       Open issues list.......................................................................................................... 12

8 New Business ........................................................................................................................ 12

     8.1        FLUSH CACHE command modification proposal (e01126r0) [Noblitt] ................. 12
     8.2        Correction to SET MAX ADDRESS command ....................................................... 12
     8.3        Queuing enhancements.............................................................................................. 13

9    Liaison Reports ..................................................................................................................... 13

     9.1        T10 ............................................................................................................................ 13
     9.2        SFF ............................................................................................................................ 13
     9.3        IDEMA...................................................................................................................... 13

10         Call for Patents ................................................................................................................ 13

     10.1       Convolve ................................................................................................................... 14

11         Review of Action Items................................................................................................... 14

12         Meeting Schedule............................................................................................................ 14




                                                             Page 2 of 22
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001                                                 T13/e01124r0


     12.1    Authorization of ad hoc working groups................................................................... 14
     12.2    Long term meeting schedule ..................................................................................... 15

13      Adjournment.................................................................................................................... 16




                                                        Page 3 of 22
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001             T13/e01124r0



                                    Results of the Meeting


1     Opening remarks

Pete McLean, the T13 Chairman, called the meeting to order at 10:00 A.M. on Tuesday, June 19,
2001. Pete thanked Curtis Stevens of Phoenix Technologies for hosting the meeting.

As is customary, the people in attendance introduced themselves, and a copy of the attendance
list was circulated. Copies of the draft agenda were made available to those in attendance.

The Chairman briefly reviewed the meeting rules: T13 is a Technical Committee of NCITS and
operates under NCITS rules. Anyone with interest in the work of the committee is free to attend
and take part in discussions. However, motions and votes are limited to member organizations,
one vote per member organization. In addition, the committee complies with NCITS antitrust
guidelines. As a result discussions about unannounced products, prices, volumes, vendor
relations, etc., are prohibited. The Chairman noted that a set of Policies and Procedures for
NCITS are available at the www.ncits.org site under the standing documents category as SD-2.
The committee is operating under these revised policies and procedures augmented by the T13
procedures at the T13 web site www.t13.org.


2     Approval of agenda

The agenda as reflected in these minutes was approved unanimously.


3     Membership and attendance

The Chairman reviewed the rules for membership and attendance:

3.1    Membership

An individual from an organization new to T13 must attend at least one T13 plenary meeting as
an Advisory Member before requesting voting membership. After that meeting, the
representative must request membership from the T13 chair stating expertise and material
interest in the scope of the committee and pay required fees to NCITS. Voting privileges begin
upon receipt by the NCITS Secretariat of applicable fees for the membership year.




                                        Page 4 of 21
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001               T13/e01124r0


3.2   Fees

Current NCITS memberships fees for Observer, Principal, or additional Alternate are 800.00
USD (the First Alternate is free with a Principal membership). A T13 subscription is available to
Principal, Alternate, or Observer Members at a fee of 800.00 USD.

Mailings of committee documents are available to any interested party after each plenary
meeting. The cost for mailings for one year is 300.00 USD for mailing in the USA and for
400.00 USD for mailing to a location outside of the USA.

Persons with questions or requests regarding membership fees and/or subscriptions for mailings
should contact Monica Vago, Manager, ITI Standards Operations, at 202-626-5739, send a fax to
her at 202-638-4922, or contact her by email at mvago@itic.org

3.3   Attendance

In addition to payment of fees, there are also minimum attendance requirements to maintain
voting membership status on T13. A representative from a member organization must attend two
of every three meetings and vote on at least every other letter ballot. If a member organization
fails to have a representative in attendance at two of the last three T13 meetings or vote on every
other letter ballot, they are warned that failing to attend the next T13 meeting or to vote on the
next letter ballot will result in their membership being terminated.

Attendance at a working group meeting does not affect membership status in T13.

The following members were in jeopardy due to lack of attendance:

CMD Technology
ST Microelectronics

No members were terminated due to lack of attendance:

The following organizations requested membership and paid NCITS fees:

Xetron
Sandisk

In addition, Texas Instruments has paid membership fees. Since Texas Instruments did not attend
the meeting they did not become voting members.

The T13 membership during the meeting was 24 organizations (changed from 22 organizations at
the last meeting).

No company requested new membership following the adjournment of the meeting. T13
membership following the meeting was 24 members.

                                         Page 5 of 21
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001               T13/e01124r0



The following individuals were in attendance:

Phil Gardner    Absolute Software               Mary Morgan       Morgan Link
Ron Roberts     Adaptec                         Tony Goodfellow   Pacific Digital
Larry Barras    Apple                           Don Doan          Pacific Digital
Brian Dixon     CMD                             Bill McFerrin     Philips
Raymond Liu     CMD                             Curtis Stevens    Phoenix
Sumit Puri      Fujitsu                         Greg Elkins       Qlogic
Seiichi         Hitachi                         Bob Chang         Sandisk
Domyo
Dan             IBM                             Marc Noblitt      Seagate
Colegrove
Tim Bradshaw    Iomega                          Bruce Perens      Software in the Public
                                                                  Interest
Andre           Linux ATA Dev                   Emmanuel          ST Micro
Hedrick                                         Coudray
Mark Evans      Maxtor                          AaronWilson       ST Micro
Pete McLean     Maxtor                          Tasuku            Toshiba
                                                Kasebayashi


4   Approval of the minutes from the previous T13 plenary meeting (e0118r0)

The minutes from the previous meeting, e01118r0, were approved unanimously.


5   Document distribution

The following documents were distributed:

Agenda and document directory
Meeting announcement for August
e01116r0 Project proposal for ATA/ATAPI-7
e01122r0 Errata for ATA/ATAPI-5
e00138r4 Proposal for a General Purpose Logging feature set
e01125r0 EDD raid option ROM proposal
e01127r0 Packet sending services for EDD
e00151r1 80-conductor cable length extension

In addition diskettes were passed around with soft copies of the above documents.




                                        Page 6 of 21
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001               T13/e01124r0


6     Review of previous action items

1. Folks from device vendors are to check on how power-on hours timers are maintained and/or
   incremented – particularly in regard to Sleep and other power saving modes – completed.
   This item was closed after brief discussion.

2. Dan Colegrove agreed to speak with IBM’s representative to CFA in order to get their input
   on changes that have been made to their command set in the draft standard during the
   obsolescing of CHS addressing – completed. Dan spoke with their representative and
   reported that the CFA folks understood that they would have to stay in touch with any
   changes made by T13 to standards documents, and that they would have to include any
   additional clarifications in their documents.

3. Pete McLean is to construct an Errata for ATA/ATAPI-5 for letter ballot that includes the
   issues from the list as updated at this meeting and the issue with word 126 as identified by
   Tim Bradshaw in e01117 – completed. This will be covered in agenda item 7.10.

4. Pete McLean agreed to include the text of agendae and minutes in the body of postings to the
   reflector – completed.


7     Old business

7.1     Status for EDD, project 1386-D (NCITS 347-2001)

EDD has been published as ANSI NCITS 347-2001. As this is now a completed project, this
item will be removed from future agendae.

7.2     Status of Address Offset Feature Technical Report, project 1407-DT (NCITS TR-27)

Address Offset Feature Technical Report has been published as NCITS TR-27:2001. As this is
now a completed project, this item will be removed from future agendae.

7.3     ATA/ATAPI-6 project 1410-D

7.3.1    Audio/Visual Model (d99135r5) [Bulik]

No one from WD was in attendance during the meeting. Dan Colegrove volunteered to speak
with Darrin Bulik, and, if WD is unable or does not wish to carry on with editing this document,
Dan would also volunteer to assume responsibility for editing the document.




                                         Page 7 of 21
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001                T13/e01124r0


7.3.2 Single device configurations ( ) [McFerrin]

Bill McFerrin reported that there had been no input from Jeff Wolford of Compaq. Bill said that
he favored that the proposal from Apple that had been included in ATA/ATAPI-6 be removed.
This will be discussed further at the next meeting.

7.3.3 INTRQ assertion, negation, release, pull-up (e01119r0) [Barras]

Larry Barras requested that this item be moved to ATA/ATAPI-7 section of the agenda. This
item will be moved to that section in the agenda for the next meeting.

7.3.4 Proposal for a General Purpose Feature Set (e00138r4) [Puri]

Sumit reviewed the revision of his proposal that included all of the elements requested by the
committee at the last meeting. Minor editorial changes were added during the review. The
editor agreed to include the content of the proposal including the editorial changes into the next
draft of ATA/ATAPI-6.

7.3.5 Review of the draft standard

The editor reviewed the change bars in the document that reflected differences between the
current and previous revisions of the draft standard. During the review several modifications and
corrections were recommended which the editor agreed to include in the next revision of the draft
standard. Change bars will identify these changes.

The editor will make a second revision that accepts all of the change bars. This version will be
used for the “line-by-line” review of the document at the working group meeting in July.

7.3.6 Schedule Review

The schedule for the project was reviewed and no changes were recommended.

          Schedule Item           Original               Prior               Current
        Project proposal           Oct-99               Oct-99                Oct-99
        Initial draft              Jun-00               Jun-00                Jun-00
        Proposal cut-off          Aug-00                Aug-00               Aug-00
        Stabilized draft          Feb-01                Feb-01               Apr-01
        Letter ballot             Apr-01                Jun-01               Aug-01
        Forward to                 Jun-01               Aug-01                Oct-01
        NCITS


7.4   EDD – 2 project 1484-D (d1484r0) [Stevens]



                                         Page 8 of 21
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001                  T13/e01124r0


Curtis Stevens said that the first revision of this draft standard was made from the last draft of the
EDD standard (d1386r5).

7.4.1 EDD raid option ROM proposal (e01125r0) [Stevens]

Curtis provided an overview of the proposal. This proposal was constructed by Adaptec, and is
intended to add the BIOS requirements for RAIDs.

Curtis said that he would like to include the content of this proposal into the EDD-2 draft. To
this end Curtis requested that the interested parties review this proposal so that it could be
discussed in detail at the next meeting.

7.4.2 Packet sending services for EDD (e00143r1) [Stevens]

Curtis said that this proposal is to allow users to use applications to extract device calls from the
BIOS functions so that they could be used for various functions (like SMART functions during
manufacturing operations). Curtis said that he felt that this could be used for ATAPI, SCSI,
1394, and USB.

Curtis reviewed the proposal in detail. He said that he would like to include the content of this
proposal into the EDD-2 draft. To this end Curtis requested that the interested parties review this
proposal so that it could be discussed in detail at the next meeting.

7.4.3 Draft review (d1484r0) [Stevens]

Curtis said that he thought there was no reason to perform a review of the first draft in that its
content was that of the approved standard. The first review of the new draft standard will be
conducted on the next revision of the draft which will include new proposals or revisions that
have been accepted.

7.5   ATA/ATAPI Host Adapters project 1510-D

7.5.1 Draft review (d1510r0) [Goodfellow]

There was no document to review at this meeting, but Tony Goodfellow requested that this item
be kept on the agenda.

7.6   Proposal for command integrity checking (e00160r0) [McLean]

Pete McLean said that he had nothing new on this proposal but wished to leave it on the agenda
for now.

7.7   Consolidated ATAPI PACKET command set (e00150r0) [Goodfellow]




                                          Page 9 of 21
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001              T13/e01124r0


There was no document to review at this meeting, but Tony Goodfellow requested that this item
be kept on the agenda.

7.8    Extended cable lengths (e00151r1) [Goodfellow]

Don Doan discussed this proposal. This proposal provides a method for using a 27-inch, 80-
conductor cable by using an 80-pin header at the host where the even pins are connected to
ground.

There was some concern that the restrictions for hosts and devices need to be expanded because
the test data presented was exclusively for new models of hard disk drives only. It was agreed
that all would take this back to their analog experts and provide feedback so that this can be
discussed at the next meeting.

7.9    Larger sector size ( ) [Colegrove]

Dan Colegrove reported that he had spoken with Ed G., of IBM, who is leading the effort under
the aegis of IDEMA to investigate larger physical sector sizes. Ed told Dan that they had
determined that increasing sector sizes could allow for more efficient use of a storage device’s
media by decreasing the ratio of ECC bits to data.

Dan agreed to resurrect a proposal originally from Hale Landis (d99118r0) to provide a
mechanism for a device to communicate to a host the optimum logical block sizes for transfers.

7.10 Errata for ATA/ATAPI-5 (e01122r0) [McLean]

Pete McLean reviewed his proposal. This proposal is comprised of resolutions to all issues that
have been identified with ATA/ATAPI-5 to date. Minor editorial corrections to the proposal
were recommended by the working group. Pete agreed to turn a revision of his proposal.

Mark Evans moved and Curtis Stevens seconded that e01122r1 (revision 0 of the proposal
including the minor editorial corrections) be forwarded to NCITS for further processing. The
Chair conducted a roll call vote. The motion carried 13:0:1:10.

                                         Roll Call Vote

Motion:             That a proposal for an Errata including resolutions to all issues that
                    have been identified with ATA/ATAPI-5, e01122r1 (revision 0 of the
                    proposal including the minor editorial corrections from the working
                    group), be forwarded to NCITS for further processing.
Yes:                13

No:                 0



                                        Page 10 of 21
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001       T13/e01124r0


Abstain:          1

Not Present:      10

Company           Voter                                 Yes   No   Abstai   Not
                                                                   n        Present
Absolute          Phil Gardner                           x
Software
Adaptec           Ron Roberts                            x
Apple             Larry Barras                           x
CMD               Brian Dixon                            x
Dell                                                                           x
Electronic                                                                     x
Frontier
Fujitsu                                                                        x
Hitachi           Naoto Kawakubo                                        x
IBM               Dan Colegrove                          x
Iomega            Tim Bradshaw                           x
Linux ATA Dev     Andre Hedrick                          x
LSI Logic                                                                      x
Marvell                                                                        x
Maxtor            Mark Evans                             x
Microsoft                                                                      x
Pacific Digital                                                                x
Phoenix           Curtis Stevens                         x
QLogic            Greg Elkins                            x
Sandisk           Bob Chang                              x
Seagate           Marc Noblitt                           x
ST                                                                             x
Microeletronics
Toshiba           Tasuku Kasebayashi                     x
Western Digital                                                                x
Xetron                                                                         x

24 members                                               13    0        1     10




                                    Page 11 of 21
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001               T13/e01124r0


7.11 ATA/ATAPI-7 project

7.11.1 Project proposal (e01116r0) [McLean]

Pete McLean reported that NCITS had responded to him that we could split the document if we
wanted, even calling it one project but publishing two volumes. There was much discussion
about how this might be done. After input as to the goals for the project Pete agreed to make a
revision of the proposal including the input from the working group.

7.12 T13 Reflector, FTP, and Web Site Setup

The general feeling in the meeting was that those in attendance were happy with the FTP and
Web sites, though there were some comments about minor formatting issues that Dan Colegrove
said he would resolve.

Curtis Stevens reported that there was still an issue with him implementing the reflector at
Phoenix because there is an ongoing conflict with WD’s provider. Curtis said that we could get
around this issue by starting a new reflector using the name t13@ata.t13.org.

In addition, Hale Landis has agreed to continue to host and maintain a reflector for some period
of time after all of the issues with a new reflector are resolved.

7.13 Open issues list

There are no open issues.


8     New Business

8.1    FLUSH CACHE command modification proposal (e01126r0) [Noblitt]

Marc Noblitt made a proposal that the FLUSH CACHE command report any write cache error
that have occurred since the previous FLUSH CACHE command. The recommendation was
that Marc come back with a written proposal to add a DWE (deferred error) bit in bit 4 of the
Status register (as is used for the streaming commands) for the FLUSH CACHE EXTENDED
command.

8.2    Correction to SET MAX ADDRESS command

Tony Goodfellow pointed out that, though the value 00h in the Features register had been made
obsolete for this command, the Command code clause for this command required the host to
place this value in the Features register. The editor of the draft standard agreed to make the
correction of removing this text and including text to point to the sub clause that specifies the
requirement of issuing a READ NATIVE MAX ADDRESS immediately before a SET MAX
ADDRESS command.

                                        Page 12 of 21
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001              T13/e01124r0



8.3    Queuing enhancements

Tony Goodfellow said that he would like to have enhancements to Queuing that would allow the
interspersing of non-queued commands with queued commands. He was assigned document
e01128r0, Queuing enhancements for constructing a proposal.


9     Liaison Reports

9.1    T10

The latest T10 liaison report from John Lohmeyer has been posted as e01123r0.

9.2    SFF

Dan Colegrove reported on the activities at the last SFF working group meeting. Dan reported
that there were two new small form factors being discussed. The group discussed the possibility
of adding all of the ATA form factors from SFF and EIA into ATA/ATAPI-7. Dan said that he
would discuss the feasibility of doing this with the SFF and EIA folks and bring their responses
into the next meeting.

9.3    IDEMA

There was no report as there had been no relevant working group meetings since the last T13
meeting (other that the item regarding larger physical sector sizes covered in item 7.9).


10 Call for Patents

The Chairman explained the patent policy. A document is available from ANSI, "Procedures for
the Development and Coordination of American National Standards", at no charge. This
document is also on the WWW at ftp://www.ncits.org/help/ansi_sdo.html. Section 1.2.11
contains the ANSI patent policy. Amy Marasco manages patent issues for ANSI and can be
contacted at amarasco@ansi.org or 212-642-4954.

The Chairman then called for patents and/or patent applications that may be necessary to comply
with the requirements in T13 standards, draft standards, technical reports, or draft technical
reports.

There were no responses to the call for patents.




                                        Page 13 of 21
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001            T13/e01124r0


10.1 Convolve

The Chairman reported that NCITS counsel sent a letter to Convolve on February 20, 2001
requesting them to notify NCITS if they believed they had intellectual property claims with
regard to ATA/ATAPI-6 and, if so, requesting that Convolve agree to the ANSI patent policy.
No response has been received from Convolve at this time.

There was discussion that all of the elements of the Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
may have to be removed from the ATA/ATAPI-6 draft standard before submission for letter
ballot if this issue is not resolved.

Curtis Stevens moved and Ron Roberts seconded that all of the AAM elements shall be removed
from the next revision of the ATA/ATAPI-6 draft standard.

During discussion, Dan Colegrove said he thought we should wait until someone said
specifically that they had an issue with implementing these elements because of legal
entanglements. Curtis responded that at least one person had said they would have an issue, so
these elements should be removed so that we could stay on the current schedule for A/A-6. Tony
Goodfellow said that this section should be removed to prevent folks that did not know of the
issue from implementing the feature and getting into legal jeopardy without knowing it.

The motion failed 8:0:7 (fewer than 50% of the membership voted for this motion).

Marc Noblitt and Pete McLean said that they would go back to their respective companies and
determine their current legal status and encouraged all others to do so as well.


11 Review of Action Items

1. The Chair took an action to forward e01122r1, Errata for A/ATAPI-5, to NCITS for further
   processing.

2. The Chair recommended that all members should check with their respective legal
   departments about any issues that they would have regarding Automatic Acoustic
   Management relative to ATA/ATAPI-6.


12 Meeting Schedule

12.1 Authorization of ad hoc working groups

A working group meeting for a “line-by-line” editorial review of ATA/ATAPI-6 was authorized
at the previous meeting for July 24th through 26th in Irvine, CA, hosted by Curtis Stevens at
Phoenix. Start time on the first day (Tuesday) will be 10:00 AM.


                                       Page 14 of 21
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001           T13/e01124r0


12.2 Long term meeting schedule

The meeting dates, locations, hosts, and contacts were reviewed for CY2003 (included below).
The following is the proposed schedule through CY2003. Requests for hosts will be discussed,
and the group will vote on approval of the CY2003 meeting dates at the next T13 meeting in
August.

      CY 2001 Dates             Location               Host              Contact
   August 21-23, 2001      Longmont, CO         Maxtor              Pete McLean
   October 23-25, 2001     Kauai, HI            Pacific Digital     Tony Goodfellow
   December 11-13,         Irvine, CA           Western Digital     Darrin Bulik
   2001

      CY 2002 Dates             Location               Host              Contact
   February 19-21, 2002    Placerville, CA      Adaptec             Ron Roberts
   April 23-25, 2002       Longmont, CO         Seagate             Marc Noblitt
   June 25-27, 2002        Irvine, CA           Phoenix             Curtis Stevens
   August 20-22, 2002      Redmond, WA          Microsoft           TBD
   October 22-24, 2002     Maui, HI             Pacific Digital     Tony Goodfellow
   December 16-18,         Irvine, CA           Western Digital     Darrin Bulik
   2002

      CY 2003 Dates             Location               Host               Contact
   February 18-20, 2003
   April 22-24, 2003
   June 24-26, 2003
   August 19-21, 2003
   October 21-23, 2003
   December 16-18,
   2003

   Note:
    1) Meetings are scheduled for three days only.
    2) Due to the change in the Dell membership, the April, 2002 meeting has been
        changed from Dell hosting in Austin to Marc Noblitt of Seagate hosting this
        meeting in Longmont, CO.
    3) If Microsoft does not wish to host the meeting in August, 2002, Pete McLean
        of Maxtor has volunteered to host this meeting in Longmont, CO.

As noted above the next plenary meeting of T13 is August 21st through 23rd in Longmont,
Colorado hosted by Pete McLean of Maxtor Corporation. A host meeting notice will be sent out
on the reflector and will be added to the web site.



                                      Page 15 of 21
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001         T13/e01124r0


13 Adjournment

The meeting adjourned by the Chairman, Pete McLean, upon completion of all the agenda items
at 11:50 A.M. on Wednesday, June 20, 2001.




                                     Page 16 of 21
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001         T13/e01124r0



[Enclosure 1 – Membership]
        Name          Company                     Email                       Tel
 Phil Gardner     Absolute Softwa   phil@ absolute.com                  604 730-9851
 Rob Schram       Absolute Softwa   rschram@absolute.com                651 260-0919
 Richard Kalish   Acer Labs         richard kalish@acer.com             408 467-7458
 Ron Roberts      Adaptec           ron roberts@adaptec.com             408 957-5640
 Larry Barras     Apple Computer    barras@apple.com                    408 974-3220
 Matt Rooke       CacheVision       mrooke@cachevision.com              408 952-4634
 Leroy Fong       Circuit Assembl   leroyf@circuitassembly.com
 Ben Chang        Cirrus Logic      ben@corp.cirrus.com                 510 226-2394
 Raymond Liu      CMD
 Bob Rudy         CMD
 Brian Dixon      CMD               bdixon@cmd.com                      949 598-4370
 Jeff Wolford     Compaq            jww@anchor.eng.hou.compaq.com       713 514-9465
 Akil Houston     Compaq            akil.houston@compaq.com             281 518-6376
 Ken Bush         Compaq            ken.bush@compaq.com                 713 514-5553
 Hale Landis      Consultant        hlandis@attglobal.net               303 548-0567
 Eric Gorham      Consultant
 Ricardo          Dell              ricardo.dominguez@dell.com          512 728-8996
 Phil Turner      DERA              p.turner@eris.dera.gov.uk
 John Gilmore     Electronic Fron   gnv@tt13.toad.com                   415 221-6524
 John Marttila    Electronic Fron   jm@eff.org                          415 436-9333
 Randy Buchter    Foxconn
 Sumit Puri       Fujitsu           spuri@fcpa.fujitsu.com              408 829-5252
 Robert Liu       Fujitsu           rliu@fcpa.fujitsu.com               408 894-3790
 Mike Jaskowiak   Gateway
 Hiroaki Inoue    Hitachi
 Shigehiro        Hitachi
 Seiichi Domyo    Hitachi           domyo@sdl.hitachi.co.jp
 Hitoshi Ogawa    Hitachi           hogawa@sdl.hitachi.co.jp
 Naoto Kawakubo Hitachi America     naoto.kawakubo@hal.hitachi.com      408 941-7049
 "Andrew" Vuong Hitachi America     andrew.vuong@hal.hitachi.com        408 941-7047
 Paul Anderson    IBM               pman@us.ibm.com                     970 593-0392
 Jeff Lotspiech   IBM               lotspiech@almaden.ibm.com           408 927-1851
 David Craft      IBM
 Bob Raicer       IBM
 Dan Colegrove    IBM               dcolegro@us.ibm.com                 702 614-6119
 Michael Eschmann Intel             michael.k.eschmann@intel.com        816 524-7418
 Darrell Redford  Iomega            redfordd@iomega.com                 801 778-4432
 Tim Bradshaw     Iomega            bradshat@iomega.com                 801 332-4262
 Andre Hedrick    Linux ATA Dev     andre@linux-ide.org                 925 689-0269
 Tim Thompson     LSI Logic         tim.thompson@lsil.com               970 206-5753
 Renee Depew      LSI Logic         renee.depew@lsil.com                970 225-4927
 Chris Adams      Marvell           cadams@marvell.com                  303 678-5248
 Kanting Tsai     Marvell           ktsai@marvell.com
 Justin Heindel   Marvell

                                    Page 17 of 21
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001         T13/e01124r0


Mark Evans          Maxtor            mark.evans@quantum.com            408 894-5310
Faheem Dani         Maxtor            feheem.dani@quantum.com
Kent Pryor          Maxtor            kent.pryor@quantum.com            408 894-4510
Eric Kvamme         Maxtor            eric.kvamme@quantum.com           408 894-6478
LeRoy Leach         Maxtor            leroy leach@maxtor.com            303 678-2828
Charley Riegger     Maxtor            charles riegger@maxtor.com        408 432-4571
Pete McLean         Maxtor            pete mclean@maxtor.com            303 678-2149
Robert Griswold     Microsoft         rogris@microsoft.com              425 936-2630
Henry Gabryjelski   Microsoft         henrygab@microsoft.com            425 882-8080
Emily Hill          Microsoft         emhill@microsoft.com              425 705-9595
Nita Pan            Microsoft         nitepan@microsoft.com             425 705-0877
Krishnan            Microsoft         krishvar@microsoft.com            425 703-8126
Mary Morgan         Morgan Link       marymorgan@morganlinkinc.com      714 240-7508
Robbie Shergill     National Semi
Maryann Karinch     NCITS             maryann.karinch@gte.net           650 726-7020
Lam Dang            Oak Technology    lamd@oaktech.com                  408 523-6643
Daniel Salmonsen    Oak Technology    dans@oaktech.com                  408 523-6550
Jim Hatfield        Overland Data     jhatfield@ overlanddata.com       303 776-2497
Don Doan            Pacific Digital   ddoan@1pdc.com                    949 252-1111
Tony Goodfellow     Pacific Digital   tonyG@1pdc.com                    949 252-1111
Richard Harcourt    Pacific Digital   rharcourt@1pdc.com                949 252-1111
Han Zou             Panasonic
Terence Nelson      Panasonic         terry@tjnelson.com                908 464-1652
Rudolf Vitti        Panasonic         vittir@panasonic.com              201 348-7064
Niek Lambert        Philips           niek.lambert@philips.com
Bil McFerrin        Philips           bmcferrin@aol.com                 720 320-0790
Bill McFerrin       Philips           bmcferrin@aol.com                 720 320-0790
Jeroen Heuvelman    Philips
Curtis Stevens      Phoenix           curtis stevens@phoenix.com        949 790-2121
Keiji Katata        Pioneer           keiji katata@post.pioneer.co.j
Paul Peissner       PowerQuest
Robert Raymond      PowerQuest        robertr@powerquest.com
Andy Lawrence       PowerQuest
Huy Nguyen          Qlogic            huy.nguyen@qlogic.com             949 389-6000
Skip Jones          Qlogic            skip.jones@qlogic.com             949 389-6000
Greg Elkins         Qlogic            greg.elkins@qlogic.com            949 389-6283
Ken Bovatsek        Samsung           kbovatse@sisa.samsung.com         408 544-5769
Tri Van             Samsung
Litko Chan          Samsung           lchan@sisa.samsung.com            408 544-5745
Juhani Rissanen     Samsung           jrissanen@sisa.samsung.com        408 544-5894
Bob Chang           Sandisk           rchang@sandisk.com                408 542-0431
Marc Noblitt        Seagate           marc.noblitt@seagate.com          720 684-1333
Gary Glass          Seagate           gary glass@notes.seagate.com
Lynn McQueen        Seagate           lynn e mcqueen@notes.seagate.c
Bruce Perens        SftwrInThePubli   Bruce@perevens.com                5105261165
Masataka Ogawa      Sony              masataka.ogawa@am.sony.com        408 955-5091
Kosuke Nakai        Sony              kosuke.nakai@jp.sony.com

                                      Page 18 of 21
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001         T13/e01124r0


Emmanuel            ST Micro          emmanuel.coudray@st.com           949 347-4774
George Tun          Standard Micro
Aaron Wilson        STMicroelectron   aaron.wilson@st.com               303 381-3585
Wen Lin             STMicroelectron
Ming Louie          STMicroelectron
Nicholas Phillips   STMicroeletroni   nicholas.phillips@st.com          303 381-3559
Janet Wu            Sun               janet.wu@sun.com                  510 574-9601
Fay Chong           Sun               fay.chong@sun.com                 510 574-9009
David Dickson       Texas Instrumen
Steve Bassett       Texas Instrumen   steve.bassett@ti.com              303 774-3455
Yogi Schaffner      Texas Instrumen   jim.schaffner@lsdo.ssi1.com       303 651-5920
David Platt         Tivo              dplatt@tivo.com                   408 519-9182
Tasuku              Toshiba           task.kasebayashi@taec.toshiba.    949 461-3886
Yoshihde Katsuse    Toshiba           yoshihhde.katsuse@glb.toshiba.
Patrick Ohara       Toshiba           minoru.ohara@toshiba.co.jp
Ron Mathews         Unisys            ronald.mathews@unisys.com         949 380-5077
Darrin Bulik        Western Digital   darrin.bulik@wdc.com              949 672-7442
Martin              Western Digital
Tom Hanan           Western Digital                                     949 932-7472
Jonathan Hanmann    Western Digital   jhanmann@dt.wdc.com               949 932-5189
George Hefner       Western Digital   george.b.hefner@wdc.com
Joe M. Jackson      Xetron            joej@xetron.com                   513 881-3331




                                      Page 19 of 21
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001                                        T13/e01124r0



  Doc#                              Description                          subdir   Pgs    Date      Mailing Submittor
D0791R4c   ATA-1 revision 4c                                         /project      66 5/12/1994 ----      lamers
D0948R4c   ATA-2 revision 4c                                         /project     111 3/18/1996 DM960 finch
                                                                                                2
D1153R18   ATA/ATAPI-4 revision 18                                   /project     342 8/19/1998 DM980 mclean
                                                                                                4
D1226R7    BIOS Enhanced Disk Drive Specification rev 7              /project      35 10/23/199 DM970 stevens
                                                                                              74
D1248R5    1394 to AT Attachment - Tailgate revision 5               /project      71 10/28/199 DM970 hanmann
                                                                                              74
D1321R3    ATA/ATAPI-5 revision 3                                    /project     399 2/29/2000 EM0001 mclean
D1367R3    Protected Area Run Time Interface rev 3                   /project      30 9/30/2000 EM0005 stevens
D1386R5a   EDD 3.0 rev 5a                                            /project      35 9/28/2000 EM0006 stevens
D1407R5    Address Offset Reserved Area Boot rev 5                   /project      16 10/24/200 EM0005 anderson
                                                                                              0
D1410R1a   ATA/ATAPI-6 revision 1a                                   /project     477 12/18/200 EM0006 mclean
                                                                                              0
D1410R1b   ATA/ATAPI-6 revision 1b                                   /project     475 3/14/2001 EM0101 mclean
D1410R1c   ATA/ATAPI-6 revision 1c                                   /project     518   6/4/2001          mclean

D2008R7b   ATA-3 revision 7b                                         /project     194 1/27/1997 DM970 mclean
                                                                                                1
D9912810   Proposal for Audio Visual feature set                     /technical    29 2/20/2001 EM0102 bulik
D99128R9   Proposal for Audio Visual feature set                     /technical    33 2/12/2001 EM0101 bulik
E00138R3   Proposal for a general purpose logging feature set        /technical    14 4/10/2001 EM0102 puri
E00138R4   Proposal for a general purpose logging feature set        /technical    15 4/10/2001           puri

E00139R1   Proposal for a media maintanance feature set              /technical     3 2/20/2001 EM0101 puri
E00148R3   Copy Protection Feature proposal                          /technical    11 1/22/2001 EM0101 anderson
E00151R1   Proposed ATA/ATAPI 80-Conductor Cable Length Extension /technical       20 6/19/2001           doan

E00155R1   ATA/ATAPI host adapter project proposal                   /project       3 12/22/200 ----      goodfellow
                                                                                              0
E00155R2   ATA/ATAPI host adapter project proposal                   /project       3 2/21/2001 EM0101 goodfellow
E00157R1   Media Card Pass Through Command Extension Proposal        /technical     7 4/24/2001 EM0102 ohara
E00159R2   Mandatory IDENTIFY DEVICE fields                          /technical    14 1/25/2001 ----      mclean
E00159R3   Mandatory IDENTIFY DEVICE fields                          /technical    14 2/26/2001 EM0101 mclean
E00163R1   Media serial number command proposal                      /technical     1 12/22/200 ----      griswold
                                                                                              0
E00163R2   Media serial number command proposal                      /technical     2 2/21/2001 EM0101 griswold
E01001R0   Letter forwarding EDD2 project proposal                   /project       2 12/20/200 EM0101 mclean
                                                                                              0
E01002R0   NCITS Form1 forwarding 1407DT                             /project       3 12/21/200 EM0101 mclean
                                                                                              0
E01003R0   Members and contributors list                             /project       1 12/21/200 EM0101 mclean
                                                                                              0
E01004R0   Abstract for 1407DT                                       /project       1 12/21/200 EM0101 mclean
                                                                                              0
E01005R0   NCITS Form1 forwarding 1386D                              /project       3 12/21/200 EM0101 mclean
                                                                                              0
E01006R0   Abstact for 1386D                                         /project       2 12/21/200 EM0101 mclean
                                                                                              0
E01007R0   Members and contributers list for 1386D                   /project       1 12/21/200 EM0101 mclean
                                                                                              0
E01008R0   Approval of comments on 1386D                             /project       1   1/9/2001 EM0101 mclean
E01009R0   Approval of comments on 1407DT                            /project       1   1/9/2001 EM0101 mclean
E01010R0   Letter ballot for general functionality proposal          /ballots       1 2/28/2001 EM0101 mclean
E01011R0   Letter forwarding Host Adapter project proposal           /project       1 2/27/2001 ----      mclean
E01011R1   Letter forwarding Host Adapter project proposal           /project       1 2/28/2001 EM0101 mclean


                                                         Page 20 of 21
Minutes of T13 Working Group and Plenary Meetings, June 19 – 2x, 2001                                           T13/e01124r0

   Doc#                              Description                           subdir   Pgs    Date      Mailing Submittor
E01012R0   Jeopardy letter - Feb                                       /meetings      1 2/27/2001 EM0101 mclean
E01013R0   Jeopardy report - Feb                                       /meetings      1 2/27/2001 EM0101 mclean
E01014R0   Results of generic functionaliy letter ballot               /ballots       2   4/2/2001 EM0102 mclean
e01015r0   Jeopardy Letter - April                                     /meetings      1 4/27/2001           mclean

e01016r0   Attendance Jeopardy Report - April                          /meetings      1 4/26/2001           mclean

e01016R1   Attendance Jeopardy Report - April                          /meetings      1 4/26/2001           mclean

e01017r0   T13 2000 Annual Report                                      /meetings      6   6/1/2001          mclean

E01100R0   1996-2000 Document Directory                                /meetings     11   1/1/2001 EM0101 mclean
E01101R0   Restricting content protection to removable drives          /technical     2   1/8/2001 EM0101 pryor
E01102R0   Proposal to report device manufacturing info                /technical     2   1/9/2001 ----     bulik
E01102R1   Proposal to report device manufacturing info                /technical     2 2/10/2001 EM0101 bulik
E01103R0   Email concerning e00148, CPRM                               /technical    64   1/9/2001 ----     mclean
E01103R1   Email concerning e00148, CPRM                               /technical    69 1/15/2001 EM0101 mclean
E01104R0   T10 liaison report                                          /meetings      1 1/23/2001 EM0101 lohmeyer
E01105R1   Proposal for returning vendor info                          /technical     4 2/21/2001 EM0101 landis
E01106R0   Improved description of combined cable detection            /technical     3 2/15/2001 EM0101 pryor
E01107R0   Q & A's on CPRM                                             /technical     4 2/14/2001 EM0101 anderson
E01108R0   Western Digital ATA-6 DCO concerns                          /technical     2 2/15/2001 EM0101 bulik
E01109R0   Alternate content protection proposal                       /technical     1 2/21/2001 EM0101 stevens
E01110R0   Defending the public interest                               /technical    14 2/18/2001 EM0101 marttila
E01111R0   Proposal for candidate reassigned sector                    /technical     7 2/20/2001 EM0101 puri
E01112R0   Proposal to support generic functionality                   /technical     3 2/22/2001 ----      stevens
E01112R1   Proposal to support generic functionality                   /technical     3 2/23/2001 EM0101 stevens
E01113R0   Word 93 mandatory proposal                                  /technical     2 2/22/2001 EM0101 goodfellow
E01114R0   Minutes of the 2/20-22/2001 plenary meeting                 /meetings     15 2/26/2001 EM0101 pryor
E01115R0   T10 liaison report                                          /meetings      1 3/22/2001 EM0102 lohmeyer
E01116R0   Project proposal for ATA/ATAPI-7                            /project       3 3/24/2001 EM0102 mclean
E01117R0   Proposal to obsolete word 126                               /technical     2 4/12/2001 EM0102 bradshaw
E01117R1   Proposal to obsolete word 126                               /technical     2   5/3/2001 EM0102 bradshaw
E01118R0   Minutes of the 4/24-26/2001 plenary meeting                 /meetings     18 4/25/2001 EM0102 evans
E01119R0   INTRQ asertion negation release pull up resistor                           0                     baras

E01120R0   SD Card Powerpoint Presentation                             /technical    10 4/25/2001 EM0102 ohara
E01121R0   ATA Command Extension Proposal for Media Card Pass          /technical    17 4/22/2001 EM0102 ohara
           Through
E01122R0   ATA/ATAPI-5 Errata                                          /project      15   6/4/2001          mclean

E01122R1   ATA/ATAPI-5 Errata                                          /project      15   6/4/2001          mclean

E01123R0   T10 liaison report                                          /meetings      1 5/24/2001           lohmeyer

E01124R0   Minutes of the 6/19-21/2001 plenary meeting                 /meetings     23 6/21/2001           evans

E01125R0   EDD v3.0 rev 0.9b Incompatibility with RAID Option-ROM      /technical     8 6/18/2001           stevens

E01126R0   Flush Cache Change                                          /technical     0                     noblitt

E01127R0   Packet Sending Services (PSS) for SCSI CDB's                /technical     2 6/20/2001           stevens

E01128R0   Queuing Enhancements                                        /Technical     0                     goodfellow

EM0101R0   Mailing #1 2001                                             /mailings    238 3/14/2001 ----      mclean
EM0102R0   Mailing #2 2001                                             /mailings    103 5/16/2001 ----      colegrove




                                                           Page 21 of 21