Docstoc

HHS EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE ON GRANT

Document Sample
HHS EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE ON GRANT Powered By Docstoc
					    HHS EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE ON GRANTS ADMINISTRATION POLICY (ECGAP)
                             MEETING NOTES
                      WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2009


Attendees:
In Person
Kim Pendleton (I.H.S.), Christine Chen (SAMHSA), George Gardner (AHRQ), Nancy
Gunderson (OS/ASAM), Amy Haseltine (OS/ASRT), Heber Willis (OS/ASRT), Mary Beth
Greene (CMS), Joe Ellis (NIH), Rimas Liogys (AoA), Michael Nelson (HRSA), Wendy Lott
(BARDA), Cynthia Montgomery (BARDA), Peter Thompson (ACF), Daphne Weeden (ACF),
Jennifer Richards (ONC), Stephen Daniels (ONC, Nancy Weisman (OGPOE), Mary Tutman
(Grants.Gov), Gregg Ukaegbu (OGPOE).
Phoned in
Michele Hawley (FDA), Bill Tate (CMS), Linda Gmeniner (CMS), Terry Hurst (PSC), Michelle
Bull (I.H.S), Gary Koontz (CDC), Nicole Nicholson (CMS).

AGENDA TOPICS

Meeting Begins/Introduction
Amy Haseltine, Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary, HHS Office of Grants, called the meeting to
order at 2pm. She requested that all participants introduce themselves, after which she gave a
brief insight of her own work experiences, including her new role as Acting DAS for the Office
of Grants.

Implementation of the SF-425
Terry Hurst, the Deputy Director of Program Support Center (PSC) spoke with ECGAP
members about the Payment Management System’s (PMS) capabilities and offered to
collaborate with the grants community on the implementation of the Federal Financial Reporting
(FFR). The Office of Grants is working with PSC and PMS to facilitate the transition. PSC and
PMS offered an initial training on October 19 – 21, 2009, and will offer a Demonstration to
interested ECGAP members after November 15, 2009. Office of Grants will follow up with PSC
to schedule dates for the Demonstration. Issues discussed included the desirability of a single
feed/receipt point for the incoming 425 data, the need to maintain the data quality provided by
the Centers of Excellence (COEs), and concerns with reporting based on calendar quarters. There
was general consensus that the PMS would be an acceptable single point of receipt, if there is a
technical solution for feeding the information back to the two COEs.

Two work groups will be formed to address the policy choices that will need to be made (policy
workgroup) and the business processes that need to be addressed (business process workgroup).
Once the workgroups are formed, kick-off meetings will be scheduled.

Director’s Report
 Reorganization of ASRT and ASAM
Amy introduced Nancy Gunderson in reference to the current OS reorganization involving
Office of Assistant Secretary for Administration and Management and (ASAM) and the Office
of the Assistant Secretary for Resources and Technology (ASRT). Nancy is currently the

                                               1
Director of the Office of Acquisition Management and Policy under ASAM. She briefed the
Committee on the impetus for the reorganization, noting that it was driven by the need to co-
locate divisions that perform similar functions within the appropriate Secretariat. Her Office will
soon move from ASAM to ASRT to merge with the Office of Grants under the new name—
Office of Grants and Acquisition Policy and Accountability. Following the merger, ASRT will
be renamed the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Financial Resources, and ASAM will
become the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Administration. Nancy will serve as the Acting
Deputy Assistant Secretary for the Office of Grants and Acquisition Policy and Accountability
(OGAPA). The reorganization is effective November 1st.


 Grants Policy Committee (GPC) Update
Mike Nelson (HRSA, and Chairman of the GPC Post-Award Workgroup) provided a status of
GPC activities.

 ACORN
Section 163 of the Continuing Resolution regarding the Association of Community
Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN), directs agencies not to obligate or award any Federal
Funds to ACORN or its affiliates, and existing contracts or grants should be suspended. This
applies to ACORN affiliates as subcontractors or sub grantees, and contractors of grantees.

ACF stated that they had drafted a special condition for their awards that they were ready to
begin using. They asked if the other OPDIVs were addressing this in a similar manner. After
some discussion, Amy asked that no one apply a special condition of this nature until OS
General Counsel could be consulted. She stated that if it is decided that terms and conditions on
grant awards are to be modified to address this issue, the action will be implemented using
standard language that is applied HHS-wide. ACF was tasked to coordinate a meeting between
the ACF General Counsel and the OS General Counsel to ensure they were in agreement on what
the HHS policy should be. Coordination between the grants and contracts communities are also
critical before releasing a Department-wide statement.

 HHS Grants Policy Update
The Final Rule to re-locate the Drug-Free Workplace Requirements for Financial Assistance to
Title 2 of the CFR has been forwarded to the Executive Secretariat for Departmental clearance.
There is no substantive change to the regulation’s requirement. A copy of the rule is attached to
these minutes.

A-133 Compliance Supplement
Terry Ramsey, Senior Technical Advisor, Office of Finance, and Heber Willis, Senior Policy
Analyst Office of Grants, gave a presentation on the A-133 Compliance Supplement. The A-133
Compliance Supplement documents important compliance requirements that the Federal
government expects to be considered as part of an audit required by the Single Audit Act
Amendments of 1996 and OMB Circular A-133. The Compliance Supplement is currently
undergoing its annual update. OG sent the 2010 Compliance Supplement to the OPDIVs with a
November deadline for adding new programs or significant changes to existing programs. The



                                                2
presentation provided a basic overview of the Single Audit process and OMB Circular A-133
audit requirements for Federal grants.

The OPDIVs must submit program re-writes and new program descriptions to Heber Willis by
close of business, November 5, 2009.

ARRA Recipient Reporting
Margie Yanchuk, Director of the Division of Management and Performance, HHS Office of
Recovery Act Coordination, thanked the Committee, CGMOs, and all HHS Grants personnel for
helping keep HHS at 93% compliance level regarding ARRA recipient reports. She noted that
such a compliance level was impressive, given that HHS grants constitute over one third of all
federal grants. The Department is working with OMB to assess the possibility of sanctions for
non-compliance with the reporting requirements; discussions are underway and the details are
not yet available.

Announcements/Open Discussions

      Next meeting is on December 9, 2009. Any OpDiv that wishes to host it should send
       Amy Haseltine an e-mail message with a cc: to Gregg Ukaegbu.

      Tentative agenda items include updates on the FFR, TAGGS, and Grants.gov

Action Items Resulting From the Meeting:

          1. OPDIV volunteers needed to form Policy Workgroup and Business Policy
             Workgroup for implementation of the SF 425. Note---We have received names
             from ACF, NIH, HRSA, and ASPA. Please send any additional work groups
             members to Amy Haseltine with a cc to Sonya Dimas by COB 11/06/09.

          2. ACF will facilitate a meeting with General Counsel and Grants to determine one
             course of action for all HHS entities regarding ACORN. Grants will keep all
             OPDIVs appraised of any developments.

          3. Please submit 2010 Compliance Supplement program descriptions to Heber
             Willis by November 5th.

          4. Volunteers needed to host the December ECGAP Meeting. Please email Mia
             Strickland    at    Carmelia.Strickland@hhs.gov with    a     cc.   to
             Gregg.Ukaegbu@hhs.gov

Adjourn
Motion to adjourn was made at 4:05 p.m. and was passed unanimously.

Attachment: Final Rule Regulating Drug-Free Workplace Regulation.



                                              3

				
DOCUMENT INFO