SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE - PRESENT CONTINUOUS TENSE
Put the verb in brackets in the correct tense. Justify your choice.
1. Anne _______________ (make) all her own clothes.
2. At the moment she _______________ (make) a dress for herself.
3. What's that smell ? Something _______________ (burn) in the kitchen.
4. I _______________ (work) overtime this month because I ______________ (save
up) to buy a car.
5. He _______________ (smoke) thirty cigarettes a day, but at the moment he
_______________ (try) very hard to cut down.
6. The sun _______________ (rise) in the east.
7. She usually _______________ (learn) languages very fast, but she
_______________ (have) problems with Chinese.
8. We _______________(live) in a hotel until we can find a house to buy.
Finish these sentences, and include an adverb of frequency.
Be careful with the word order. how often ? always, usually, often,
sometimes, not often, rarely, seldom, never,...
1. He's a vegetarian, so he _____________________________________ (meat)
2. We ___________________________________________ Italy for our summer
holidays because we have a villa there.
3. In winter we __________________________________ go skiing in France, or we
_____________________________ at home. It depends.
4. We _________________________________________ fish because it's difficult to
Write some sentences about yourself, using an adverb of frequency.
Contradict these sentences.
example : It doesn't rain in Britain. Yes, it does.
1. Children start school when they're ten. __________________________
2. Nurses don't wear uniforms. __________________________
3. You aren't learning English. __________________________
4. It's snowing. __________________________
5. Aspirin is good for a cough. __________________________
6. You don't work hard. __________________________
7. The best wine comes from Holland. __________________________
8. Water doesn't boil at 1OOø centigrade. __________________________
Write an appropriate question for these answers.
example : A. Where do you come from ?
B. I come from Manchester.
1. A. ___________________________________________ ?
B. I'm a teacher.
2. A. ___________________________________________ ?
B. Twenty-five hours a week. But of course I prepare lessons and mark exercises at
home as well.
3. A. ___________________________________________ ?
B. At Manchester Grammar School.
5. A. ___________________________________________ ?
B. € 15,000 a year.
6. A. ___________________________________________ abroad ?
B. Once or twice a year, usually to Germany.
7. A. ___________________________________________ evenings ?
B. No, not a lot. I'm usually too tired, but I sometimes go to the cinema.
8. A. ___________________________________________ ?
B. I like all sorts, but especially westerns and comedies.
9. A. ___________________________________________ ?
B. I'm going to the pub to meet some friends. Would you like to come too ?
SIMPLE PRESENT OR PRESENT CONTINUOUS.
Some of these sentences are wrong. Say why. Correct them if necessary.
1. It rains at the moment. _________________________
2. I'm liking black coffee. _________________________
3. He's speaking three languages. _________________________
4. I think Mexico is a beautiful country. _________________________
5. Restaurants are staying open late in Spain. _________________________
6. We usually eat at one o'clock. _________________________
7. He's having a flat near the centre. _________________________
8. What are you thinking of Shakespeare ? _________________________
9. I'm so dirty I need a bath right now. _________________________
10 Peter's in the kitchen. He cooks breakfast. _________________________
11 What are you thinking about ? _________________________
12 That soup tastes good. _________________________
13 The Germans are making very good cars. _________________________
14 What do you do these days ? _________________________
15 I go to the dentist every six months. _________________________
Ask for the underlined. Use the right question-words
1. Peter likes sherry as an aperitive. ____________________________
2. That's my neighbour's dog. ____________________________
3. I'm looking for my keys. ____________________________
4. A good bike costs more than 10,000 €. ____________________________
5. I've come because I want to talk to you. ____________________________
6. The girl on the left is my best friend. ____________________________
7. The weather is very nice today. ____________________________
8. I always come to school by bus. ____________________________
9. My bus leaves at 7.15 sharp. ____________________________
10 The Belgian flag is black, yellow, red. ____________________________
11 He works for an American company. ____________________________
12 It takes him 1 hour to come to school. ____________________________
13 My little sister is only 8 years old. ____________________________
14 They record all their songs in England. ____________________________
15 Sometimes hooligans attack the police. ____________________________
16 Young ones often drive wrecklessly. ____________________________
1. Waarop wacht je, mevrouw ? __________________________________
2. We eten meestal in de keuken. __________________________________
3. Mijn vader rookt te veel. __________________________________
4. Wat vind je van het weer ? __________________________________
5. Eet je ook graag kip met frieten ? __________________________________
6. Hij drinkt soms koffie zonder suiker. _________________________________
7. Wat gebeurt er als je geen belasting betaalt ?
8. Naar welke zender kijk je het meest, VTM of VRT ?
9. Zet de muziek niet af. Ik ben ernaar aan 't luisteren.
10 Meestal werkt hij in Genk, alleen deze week werkt hij in Hasselt.
11 Ik ga niet vaak naar de film, slechts eenmaal per maand.
12 Ik kan de telefoon niet opnemen omdat ik mijn haar aan 't wassen ben.
13 Ik sta op haar te wachten maar zij wacht nooit op mij.
14 Zaterdag trouwen ze en en zondag vertrekken ze al op huwelijksreis.
SELF CHECK SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE - PRESENT CONTINUOUS TENSE
Decide which is the correct verb form.
1. Carmen comes / is coming from Spain.
2. She speaks / is speaking French, Spanish, and English.
3. Today she wears / is wearing jeans and a T-shirt.
4. She smokes / is smoking twenty cigarettes a day.
5. She doesn't smoke / isn't smoking now. She's in class.
6. I meet / am meeting Miss Boyd at ten o'clock tomorrow.
7. Do you like / are you liking Coke ?
8. Who do you speak / are you speaking to on the telephone ?
1. My mother works in a hospital. _________________________________
2. I'm still reading that boring book. _________________________________
3. I like cooking very much. _________________________________
4. Take the third street on the left. _________________________________
5. This shop sells good cakes. _________________________________
6. She's wearing a new blouse today. _________________________________
7. The headmaster wants to see me. _________________________________
8. They've got a dog and two cats. _________________________________
9. Tennis is my favourite sport. _________________________________
10 Pigs eat grass. _________________________________
1. Hoe laat sta je iedere dag op ?
2. Mijn zus heeft 2 talen nodig op haar werk.
3. Ze studeert nog Duits in de avondschool.
4. Tweemaal per week haast ze zich naar school.
5. Hoe laat beginnen de lessen ?
6. Wat ben jij nu aan het doen ? Ik ben aan het schrijven.
7. Hoeveel betaal je voor een hamburger ?
8. Wie betaalt de rekening ? _______________________________________
9. Hoeveel weeg je ? _______________________________________
10 Draag je een bril ? _______________________________________
SIMPLE PAST TENSE - PAST CONTINUOUS TENSE
I. Find the correct action for each person.
Carl Lewis Marilyn Monroe Andr‚ Dumont Agatha Christie
Picasso Henry Ford Shakespeare Adolf Hitler
Columbus Ivan Lendl Elvis Presley
(play judo - paint pictures - play tennis - sail to America -write plays - act in films - sing
songs - kill Jews - make cars - discover coal - write detective stories - run the 100 m )
Melinda Burns is a famous film star. Two weeks ago she suddenly disappeared, and no
one knew where she was. The police looked everywhere for her. Yesterday she arrived
home, and now she is speaking to reporters for the first time. Read what the reporters are
thinking and ask their questions.
examples : (She went somewhere. Where ?) Where did you go ?
(Perhaps someone kidnapped her.) Did someone kidnap you ?
- (She disappeared. Why ?)
- (Perhaps she left the country.)
- (She travelled. How ?)
- (Perhaps her friends hid her.)
- (She did something in all that time. What ?)
- (Perhaps she read the stories about her in the newspapers.)
- (She came home. Why ?)
- (Perhaps her husband found her ?)
Bob had a lot of jobs to do last weekend.
He didn't have time to do all of them. Which one did he do ?
EXAMPLE : He washed the car.
He didn't buy a new battery for the car.
wash the car paint the back door
buy new battery for car clean windows
repair broken window go shopping
book holiday watch TV all evening
write to bank cook a nice dinner
phone sports club have a walk with wife
pay electricity bill read a book
Answering about the past. WHAT DID SUSAN DO LAST FRIDAY ?
1. Did she get up at seven ? (at eight) No, she _______________________
2. Did she go to work by car ? (by bus) _______________________________
3. Did she start work at nine ? (at ten) _______________________________
4. Did she have lunch in a restaurant ? (at home) __________________________
5. Did she finish work at six ? (at five) _______________________________
6. Did she meet her brother in the evening ? (a friend)_________________________
7. Did she go to the cinema ? (a disco) _______________________________
Asking about the past.
1. She was born in Chicago. (Where ?) __________________________________
2. I left work at five. (When ?) __________________________________
3. He got up at seven. (What time ?) __________________________________
4. I was born in 1975. (When ?) __________________________________
5. They saw Kenny McKay. (Who ?) __________________________________
6. We bought two bottles of wine. (How many ?) ___________________________
7. I had spaghetti for lunch. (What ?) __________________________________
Put the verbs in brackets in the correct tense,
simple past or past continuous tense
1. Last year I _______________ (go) to Greece for my holidays.
2. I _______________ (decide) to fly because it is much quicker than going overland.
3. On the morning I _______________ (leave) London, it _______________ (rain), but
when I _______________ (step) off the plane in Greece, it was a beautiful day. The sun
_______________ (shine) and a cool wind _______________ (blow) from the sea.
4. I _______________ (take) a taxi to my hotel. As I _______________ (sign) the register,
someone _______________ (tap) me on the shoulder. I _______________ (turn) round. It
was a friend I hadn't seen for ten years. He_______________ (stay) at the same hotel.
5. That evening we _______________ (go) for a walk. The town was still very busy. Street
traders _______________ (sell) souvenirs, and the foreign tourists _______________
(try) to bring down the price with the aid of a Greek phrase book. We _______________
(listen) to their chatter for a while, then returned to our hotel.
Write an appropriate question for these answers.
example : A. How old were you when you started school ?
B. I was six years old.
B. I went to two schools.
B. The first was a junior school, the second was a grammar school.
B. No, I didn't. I really hated them. I was very unhappy at school.
B. I took 'O -levels' when I was 15, and 'A-levels' when I was 17.
B. Yes, I did. I went to Oxford University.
B. Modern languages - French and German.
B. I was there for four years.
B. I left in 1988.
Make inversion-questions. The answer is YES or NO
Ask your friend if he got up early
if he drank tea this morning.
if he had breakfast before coming to school.
if he came to school by bike.
if he left before eight o'clock
if he arrived in time.
if he bought a magazine.
if he studied hard last night.
1. Mr Brown took a taxi to the station. _______________________________
2. He went to his office. _______________________________
3. He began work at 9 a.m. yesterday. _______________________________
4. He told the boss he was wrong. _______________________________
5. He met several customers. _______________________________
6. I saw a good film last night. _______________________________
7. Last summer we enjoyed ourselves. _______________________________
8. They stood up when the judge came in. _______________________________
9. The police caught a dangerous thief. _______________________________
10 She posted the birthday card. _______________________________
1. My brother hurt his leg in an accident. _________________________
2. He drank four glasses of beer at the party. _________________________
3. I heard a dog barking all night. _________________________
4. Susan found her gloves in the garden. ________________________
5. Our team lost their first match last Sunday _________________________
6. My father gave me a nice mountain bike. _________________________
Pronunciation There are three different pronunciations of the -ED in regular past tenses
[d] [id] [t] [d] [id] [t] [d] [id] [t]
to hope to crash to rescue
to visit to climb to rain
to arrive to miss to plant
to finish to wash to move
to walk to land to post
to clean to stay to help
to hurry to decide
Irregular past tenses
breken _______________ _______________ _______________
_______________ to buy _______________ _______________
_______________ _______________ drove _______________
_______________ _______________ _______________ flown
geven _______________ _______________ _______________
_______________ to hide _______________ _______________
_______________ _______________ knew _______________
_______________ _______________ _______________ lain
bellen _______________ _______________ _______________
_______________ to see _______________ _______________
_______________ _______________ slept _______________
_______________ _______________ _______________ worn
Simple past tense or past continuous tense
1. It was 8.00 in the morning. A lot of people stood / were standing at the bus stop, waiting
to go to work.
2. A magnificent oak tree stood / was standing in the middle of the garden.
3. I studied / was studying politics at university.
4. He studied / was studying the effects of radiation when he died.
5. When I woke up this morning it rained /was raining.
6. It rained / was raining every single day of the holidays.
7. I asked him what he thought / was thinking about.
8. I thought / was thinking the play was extremely good.
9. A. What did you do / were you doing with that electric drill ?
B. I as putting up some book shelves in my bedroom.
10 A. What did you do / were you doing with that electric drill ?
B. I put it back in its box in the tool cupboard.
11 A. What did you do / were you doing before you took this job ?
B. Nothing, actually. I only left school a few months ago.
12 A. What did you do / were you doing in my bedroom just now ?
B. The light was on, so I just went in to turn it off.
13 The poor chap died / was dying. All we could do was comfort him.
14 The poor chap died / was dying early next morning.
15 When she paid / was paying for the petrol, a boy stole / was stealing her wallet from
16 While I shopped / was shopping this morning, I lost / was losing my money. I don't
17 Last week the police stopped / were stopping Alan in his car because he travelled / was
travelling at over eighty miles an hour.
SELF CHECK SIMPLE PAST TENSE -- PAST CONTINUOUS TENSE
Fill in the right form of the verb (present or past)
1. When there's an accident, people usuall (phone) for an ambulance ___________
2. The driver of the car (wear) his seat belt when the accident (happen) ___________
3. We (drive) along the main road when we (see) the accident ___________
4. Ambulance drivers always (wear) a uniform. ___________
5. The number of accidents (increase) nowadays, and there ___________
(be/not) enough doctors to deal with all the emergencies. ___________
Simple past tense or past continuous tense
I _______________ (live) in Amsterdam when I was young.
2. Our daughter was born when we (live) _______________ in Antwerp.
3. I _______________ (want) to talk to her, but she had already left.
4. I managed to catch Ricky just as he _______________ (leave).
5. When I ________ (come) in she ____________ (learn) to play the guitar
6. All the lights _________ (go out), while we (have) ___________ dinner
A journalist talked to a witness of a robbery.
Choose and adapt a verb from from the list below to complete the story.
I ________________ some magazines in the newsagent's when suddenly the door
________________ with a bang. A man wearing a black mask and carrying a gun
_____________ in. He _______________ to the counter and __________ "Hands up!
Give me the money or I'll shoot." The shop assistant was very frightened and gave him
some money. I _____not_______
The masked man stuffed the money into his jacket pocket and ran out.
Another man _______________ on a motor-bike. I ______________ to the telephone and
dialled 999 for the police, but it __________ too late.
The robbers had already escaped.
[to buy, to open, to come, to run, to shout,]
[ to move, to wait, to go, to be]
Ask for the underlined.
1. Elvis Presley died in 1977. _________________________________
2. He gave up smoking 2 years ago. _________________________________
3. He kissed the bride. _________________________________
4. We had a good time at the seaside. _________________________________
5. I took a holiday job in the summer. _________________________________
6. People were singing in the street. _________________________________
1. The customer paid by cheque. _________________________________
2. I knew all the answers of the quiz. _________________________________
3. The drank two bottles of wine. _________________________________
4. He told me my car lights were on. _________________________________
5. They were carrying heavy suitcases. _________________________________
6. She was playing the piano when I arrived. _________________________________
Supply the correct forms, either simple or past continuous of the verbs.
1. While I ............... (peel) potatoes, I .......... my thumb. (cut)
2. Our guests ............ (leave) at midnight in a taxi that .............. (just pass) by chance.
3. The old lady ......... (fall) as she .............. (get off) the bus
4. When Tom ........... (see) her she ...............(lie) on the ground
5. He ............... (go) to town, so he .............(give) us a lift.