HARLEQUINS ACADEMY COACH
Job title: Academy Coach
Reports to: Academy Manager and Director of Rugby
Relationships: Harlequins Director of Rugby/Coaching, England team coaches
and RFU development staff
Nature and scope: To assist the Academy Manager in the overall management of
the Harlequins England Rugby Academy
1. To assist the Academy Manager in the overall management of Harlequins England
Rugby Academy and responsible for all decisions relating thereto.
2. To assist the Academy Manager in the establishment of structures and feeder
systems that identifies playing talent within existing club, school and Constituent
Body (CB) development squads, and by direct referral.
3. To assist the Academy Manager in the forging of clear and positive relationships
with teachers of rugby, coaches and development staff within feeder schools,
clubs and CBs.
4. Identify and recruit athletes with potential from other sports.
5. In conjunction with the Academy Manager to establish and agree world class
performance standards for fitness, diet, skill measures and attitude for each
member of the squad to achieve and maintain. Monitor achievement against these
6. To assist the Academy Manager in working with the Director of Regional
Academies and Player Tracking Administrator ensure all player tracking
information is entered onto the RFU player tracking database.
7. To assist the Academy Manager in Brokering flexible academic support services
from appropriate local providers of higher, further and secondary education.
8. To assist the Academy Manager in working with national coaches and club
Director of Rugby/Coaching establishes an effective lifestyle mentoring process
for all members of the academy squad.
9. Ensure the highest level of analysis is performed and available regarding all
academy scholars and share that information with the club Director of
Rugby/Coaching and the Director of Regional Academies.
10. To assist the Academy Manager in working with the Director of Regional
Academies identify and recommend appropriate specialist coaching support for
the academy from England team management and specialist coaching staff.
11. To assist the Academy Manager in liaising with club Director of Rugby/Coaching
on the appointment/availability of appropriate coaching, medical and
12. To assist the Academy Manager in maintaining squad discipline on and off the
field to the highest standards and to administer the approved disciplinary
procedures for the squad.
13. To assist the Academy Manager in Planning and working within agreed budgets.
14. Overall responsibility for School of Rugby (SOR) programme
a. talent identification
b. monthly rugby sessions – scheme of work & session plans
c. holiday and ½ term day camps
d. weekly weight lifting sessions (In conjunction with Academy S&C Coach)
e. fitness testing programme (In conjunction with Academy S&C Coach)
f. identify potential academy scholars
g. EPAS information updates
h. Liaison group meetings
EPDG (15 – 18yrs)
a. plan regular visits to athletes at school
b. deliver sessions to athletes at training ground
c. watching academy schoolboys and rep matches
Regional Academy full time athletes on site
a. specialist clinics in positional skills
b. unit skills – assist with ‘A’ team
a. To assist with the coaching of AASE athletes
b. To liaise with and assist the AASE co-ordinator at Richmond College
To assist the Academy Manager in delivering and developing targets for
individual athletes within the academy squad as agreed with the Director of
Regional Academies and the club Director of Rugby/Coaching.
To assist the Academy Manager in producing and preparing players for
professional contracts with the club and to challenge for places within England