Kindergarten Science Grade Curriculum Map
School Year 2008-2009
C. De Keukelaere
Teacher Preparation Videos:
Duplication Master PDFs
Audio Versions of FOSS Science Stories for K–2
FOSS Modules: Vocabulary, Home School Connections, Student/Teacher/Parent Resources
Organizing FOSS Trees FOSS Trees FOSS FOSS Wood FOSS Wood and FOSS FOSS Fabric FOSS FOSS FOSS
Concepts Module Module Trees and Paper Paper Module Fabric Module Animals Two Animals Two Animals Two
Module Module Module by Two by Two by Two
Module Module Module
September October November December January February March April May June
Essential FALL TREES LEAVES TREES GETTING TO GETTING TO FABRIC FABRIC GOLDFISH BIG AND EGGS AND
Questions • What are the THROUGH KNOW WOOD KNOW PAPER ALL INTERACTIONS AND LITTLE CHICKS
identifiable • What are THE • Where does • What are the AROUND • Which types of GUPPIES WORMS • What are the
structures of the SEASONS wood come properties of • What are fabrics absorb • What are the • What are the structures of
trees? identifiable • What re from and what paper? the water and which structures of structures of chicks?
structures of the different can it be used properties of types repel fish? worms?
• How are trees leaves? functions of for? • Why do some fabrics? water? •How is chick
used as a tree kinds of paper • How is fish • How is worm behavior
resource to people • How can structures? • How can absorb water, but • What • How can fabric behavior behavior influenced by
and other animals? leaf shapes wood be others do not? materials are stains be influenced by influenced by the conditions
be compared • How do changed by fabrics made cleaned? the conditions the conditions in the
• What do trees do to trees people? • How do the from? in the in the environment?
that shows that geometric change properties of • How can fabric environment? environment?
they are alive? shapes? through the • What are the different papers • How can be permanently •What are the
seasons? properties of determine their fabrics be dyed? • What are the • What are the certain
• What are the • What are wood? use? sorted and basic needs of basic needs of environmental
basic needs of the properties • How are compared by • How do the fish? worms? conditions
trees? of leaves? trees used • Why does • How is paper their properties of eggs and
as a some wood made? properties? fabrics make • How do fish • What are the chicks need to
• How are trees • How are resource to float in water them useful for change their unique survive?
identified? leaves people and while some CHANGING • What are different environment? structures
identified? other wood sinks? PAPER the many purposes? and behaviors •Why do
animals? uses of • What are the of worms? young chicks
CHANGING • How is fabrics in our unique PILL BUGS resemble their
WOOD newspaper made? everyday structures AND SOW parents?
lives? and behaviors BUGS
• How does of fish? • What are the • Why do
• How can the recycling extend LAND AND structures of animals
shape of wood the use of trees? WATER isopods? deserve
be changed by • How do the SNAILS respect and
people? properties of • What are the • What are the gentle
recycled paper structures of basic needs of
• How can Compared to those snails? isopods?
sawdust be of new paper?
recycled into • What senses • What are the
useable wood? • What objects are do snails unique
made from paper? have? structures
• Which wood and behaviors
objects are CONSTRUCTIONS • How is snail of isopods?
made by • What different behavior
people and types of influenced by • How is
which occur artistic the conditions isopod
naturally? constructions can in the behavior
be made from environment? influenced by
paper? the conditions
• How are the • What are the in the
paper containers basic needs of environment?
we use everyday snails? Care?
Related FOSS Science FOSS FOSS FOSS Science FOSS Science FOSS FOSS Science FOSS FOSS FOSS
Literature Stories: Science Science Stories: Stories: Science Stories: Science Science Science
• A Tree Comes to Stories: Stories: Wood and Wood and Paper, Stories: Fabric, “How Stories: Stories: Stories:
Class Trees, Trees, “My Paper, “The Story of a Fabric, “ Are Animals Two Animals Two Animals Two
• Red Leaf, Yellow “Where Do Apple “The Story of a Box” What Is Fabrics Used?” by Two, by by
Leaf by Lois Ehlert Trees Grow?” Tree” Chair” : Wood and Paper, Fabric Made • Harry the Dirty “Learning Two, “Big and Two, “Eggs
• Our Very : Trees, “Land, Air, and From?” Dog by Gene about Little Worms” and Chicks”
Own Tree by “Orange Wood and Water” • A New Zion and Animals” and • It Could Still • Chickens
Lawrence F. Trees” Paper, • The Piñata Maker Coat for Margaret Bloy “Goldfish and Be a Worm by Aren’t the
Lowery Trees, “Are You a by George Anna by Graham Guppies” Allan Fowler Only Ones by
“Maple Scientist?” Anacona Harriet (illustrator) • A Fish Out of Animals Two Ruth
Trees” • Mighty Tree by Ziefert Water by by Heller
• The Secret Dick Gackenbach and Anita Helen Palmer Two,
Life of Trees Wood and Paper, Lobel Animals Two “Isopods”
by Chiara “I Am Wood” (illustrator) by Two, • A Pill Bug’s
Chevallier “Land and Life by John
Water Snails” Himmelman
• The Snail’s • Animals Two
Spell by by Two by
Joanne Ryder Larry Lowery
Projects • Use science • Make a leaf- • Use • Use science • Use science • Use • Make a class • Use science • Make a • Make a
journals. shape bar science journals. journals. science book based on journals. worm classroom
• Make a tree- graph. journals. • Begin a wood • Make a chart of journals. The • Play a observation chick journal.
observation class • Make leaf • Make a chart. paper properties. • Make word Emperor’s New camouflage terrarium. • Research
book. rubbings. tree bulletin • List wooden • Paint on different and fabric Clothes. • Train the
• Look at animals and
• Plan a discovery • Make photo board. items from kinds of paper. cards. • Make colorful goldfish. earthworm their young.
center. frames. • Make a home. • Examine paper • Set up an caps. • Identify paths.
• Collect prunings. • Make food-from- • Peer inside a illustration ongoing • Make small animals that eat • Compare the
• Make invitations sunprints. trees center. branch. techniques. fabric center. pattern quilts.. fish. lengths of
for back-to-school • Play What • Watch for • Do sinking- • Make collage • Show how • Make a tooth- • Write about worms.
night or open Matches? seed wood masks. knit fabric is fairy pillow. fish. • Make a
house. showers. investigation. • Practice simple made. • Tie-dye T- • Count the fish classroom
• Watch for • Make pictures origami. shirts. in the tank. mural.
• Do fish
life in trees. from sawdust, • Decorate the arithmetic.
• Compare shavings, and papier-mâché • Make a fish
cones. twigs. bowls. collage.
• Draw with • Color the recycled • Compare
charcoal. paper. slugs to snails.
• Make something • Measure how
with the recycled far a snail
paper. moves in 1
• Test for
• Use shells for
• Use shells to
• Divide the
shells into sets.
• Observe snail