NB New FGSR and Department of Educational Psychology guidelines

Document Sample
NB New FGSR and Department of Educational Psychology guidelines Powered By Docstoc
					File Ref: 375.22
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                                   2

                           Introduction and Practical Suggestions

Welcome to the Department of Educational Psychology at the University of Alberta. We hope
that you will find your studies both enjoyable and rewarding. One way to help you do this is to
make sure that you are aware of what is expected of you - the requirements you must meet
and the rules and guidelines under which we all must work. The person ultimately responsible
for making sure that you know all the requirements for completion of your degree is you. The
intent of this Handbook is to help you with this.

The purpose of this Handbook is to provide current information concerning the steps you must
take to fulfil requirements of the program in which you are enrolled. This Handbook is revised
once a year, and your fellow students or even some members of the faculty might not be aware
of all of the information. The key message is that you must read this Handbook and refer to it
often to familiarize yourself with the graduate guidelines.

While this Handbook acquaints you with the requirements for successful completion of your
studies, regulations of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR) are imposed by,
interpreted by, and enforced by that Faculty, and our Handbook is only a supplementary guide.

Although this Handbook is designed to provide you with helpful information, it is only one of a
number of documents with which you should be familiar. The following documents are of
practical use to you and should be reviewed and consulted:

From the Department of Educational Psychology:

Supplemental Handbook for your Area of Study (if applicable)

From the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research general website:

FGSR Graduate Program Manual (especially information concerning fees and financial aid)

Listing of Awards and Scholarships and Procedures for Applying:

Guidelines for Preparing Your Thesis/Capping Project/Dissertation

NB: New FGSR and Department of Educational Psychology guidelines permit the submission
of an electronic version of theses, projects and dissertations. Please consult with the Graduate
Coordinator before preparing final versions.

From the Graduate Students’ Association:
University of Alberta Campus Grad Student Association (GSA) Handbook
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                                3

From the Registrar’s Office:
University of Alberta Calendar:

University of Alberta Registration Guide

NB: Up-to-date listings of courses and instructors can be found through BearTracks. A link is
at the top of the University of Alberta website (http://www.ualberta.ca)

The Department holds an orientation meeting for all new and continuing graduate students just
before classes begin each fall.

Besides the aforementioned, good sources of information are members of the Educational
Psychology Graduate Student Council. Visit the Educational Psychology Graduate Student
Council homepage at
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                                                                     4

                                                  TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND AND SUMMARY .......................................................... 5

2. CONTACT PERSONS .............................................................................................................. 5

3. EQUALITY, EQUITY AND RESPECT ...................................................................................... 6

4. REGISTRATION ....................................................................................................................... 6

5. PAYING TUITION ..................................................................................................................... 7

6. ACADEMIC ADVISEMENT ....................................................................................................... 7

7. ETHICAL GUIDELINES FOR RESEARCH ............................................................................ 11

8. DISPUTES AND RESOLUTION ............................................................................................. 11

9. STUDENT FUNDING .............................................................................................................. 12

10. UNIVERSITY SERVICES ..................................................................................................... 14

11. DEPARTMENT SERVICES .................................................................................................. 20

12. FACULTY SERVICES .......................................................................................................... 21


14. REGISTERING (CHARTERING) PROCESS........................................................................ 26

Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                                5


The Faculty of Education has had a long link to Educational Psychology. The first person hired
by the University of Alberta to establish programs in education was Milton E. LaZerte, who was
hired in 1927. He was an Educational Psychologist, and he eventually became the first Dean
of the Faculty of Education. Prior to 1950, the Faculty of Education was non-departmentalized.
The Department of Educational Psychology was one of the original departments established in
the Faculty. Doctoral degrees were first offered in 1956 and the department was among the
first in the University’s history to graduate Ph.D.s. Diversity has always been a tradition in the
Department of Educational Psychology, and presently we offer graduate programs in the
following areas:

        Program Area                    Masters Programs                 Doctoral Programs
Counselling Psychology
School Counselling
Measurement, Evaluation &
Psychological Studies in
Education (Research)
Psychological Studies in
Education (Professional
School Psychology)
Special Education
Teaching English as a Second
Technology in Education


The current Area Co-ordinators and their campus phone numbers and email addresses are:
The City of Edmonton’s Area Code is 780

Counselling Psychology                       Dr. Farah Merali
                                             492- 1158 or noorfarah.merali@ualberta.ca
Measurement, Evaluation & Cognition          Dr. Mark Gierl
                                             492-2396 or mark.gierl@ualberta.ca
Psychological Studies in Education           Dr. Robert Klassen
(Research & School Psychology                492-9170 or robert.klassen@ualberta.ca
Special Education                            Dr. Veronica Smith
                                             492-7425 or veronica.smith@ualberta.ca
Teaching English as a Second Language        Dr. Tracey Derwing
                                             492-3668 or tracey.derwing@ualberta.ca
Technology in Education                      Dr. Patricia Boechler
                                             492-7273 or patricia.boechler@ualberta.ca
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                                6

Other individuals in the Department who are responsible for co-ordinating the graduate
program, and who can be of assistance to you are:

Department Chair:             Dr. Robin Everall, 492-2389 or robin.everall@ualberta.ca

Department Associate Chair and Graduate Co-ordinator:
Dr. George Buck, 492-9275 or george.buck@ualberta.ca

Undergraduate Associate Chair:
Dr. Lynn McQuarrie, 492-1146 or lynn.mcquarrie@ualberta.ca

Secretary to the Chair:       TBA

Registration Secretary:               Loretta Moore, 492-1151 or loretta.moore@ualberta.ca

Graduate Records Administrator:       Michelle Vaage, 492-1149 or mvaage@ualberta.ca

General Office:               492-5245       Fax:    492-1318


The Faculty of Education is committed to providing an environment of equality, equity and
respect for all people within the University community. All members of this community are
considered partners in developing teaching and learning contexts that are welcoming to all.
Faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to use inclusive language to create a classroom
atmosphere in which students’ experiences and views are treated with equal respect and
valued in relation to their gender, ethnic and cultural background, and sexual orientation.


4.1      Registration is completed through a computerised student records system using the
         Bear Tracks web registration, accessible by link at the top of the University of Alberta
         home page at http://www.ualberta.ca You must register separately for the Fall term
         (Sept-Dec) and Winter term (Jan-Apr). Be sure to check the add/withdrawal and
         payment deadlines. You can locate this information on the Registrar’s Web pages
         listed previously or in the University of Alberta Registration Guide.

4.2      You should meet with your Academic Advisor before your first term to complete a
         Program of Study form. This form should be signed by your Academic Advisor and
         then submitted to the Graduate Records Secretary. Each program (Ph.D., Course-
         based Master’s, and Thesis-based Master’s) within an area of study has a different
         Program of Study form. Your Academic Advisor, Area Co-ordinator, or Graduate
         Records Secretary should be able to provide you with one. After a Program of Study
         form has been submitted, it may be altered by means of a “Change to Program” form,
         which is available from the Graduate Records Secretary. Please note that these forms
         are not your official course registration – they are a planning contract. You are still
         required to register yourself in courses.
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                                    7

4.3       Most 500 and 600-level doctoral courses are open to web registration. For those that
          are closed to web registration, contact the Registration Secretary in the General
          Office for instructions.

4.4       Course-based Master’s students must register in the program once per calendar year.
          That is, students need to register for a term and pay fees whether they take courses
          or not. Otherwise, the student’s registration in the program will lapse and the student
          will be required to apply for re-admission. Thesis-based students must be registered
          in both Fall and Winter terms.

4.5       Students who are admitted to any thesis-based degree program and who initially
          register as full-time students in the program must register full-time for the remainder
          of their program.


5.1       Your class timetable also shows your fee assessment. You can view your real-time
          Class Timetable/Fee Assessments in the 'Academics' menu on Bear Tracks
          (https://www.beartracks.ualberta.ca ) to verify the courses in which you are registered
          for a particular term and the associated fees. Consult the Calendar/Registration
          Guide for tuition deadlines.

          To make your payment there are a number of options (on-line/telephone banking
          through your financial institution, cheque or money order/bank draft, in person debit
          cards/cash, interact online, international wire transfer – for international students only)
          all described at: http://www.financial.ualberta.ca/student.cfm

5.2       If you have funding in the form of a scholarship or a loan, you need to figure out how
          much, if anything, you owe, before you follow the above advice.


6.1       Master of Education Degree

6.1.1     Academic Advisor   The Academic Advisor works with the graduate student to plan the student’s
          academic program until a Thesis/Project Supervisor is appointed.   Students are expected to choose a Thesis/Project Supervisor by the end of the first
          year of their program. When a change from Academic Advisor to Thesis/Project
          Supervisor occurs the student must notify the Department’s Graduate Records Office
          immediately.   All program changes must be authorised. The signing authorities are Academic
          Advisor, Thesis/Project Supervisor, or alternatively a departmental administrator (i.e.,
          Area Co-ordinator, Associate Chair, or Chair).
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                                8   Academic Advisors are appointed by the appropriate Area Co-ordinator. On occasion
          the Graduate Admissions Committee may make suggestions or recommendations
          regarding the student’s program.   A Special Student can take only one full course equivalent (6 credits) from the
          Department of Educational Psychology as a Special Student.   A minimum passing grade for a graduate course is C+ and a graduate student must
          maintain an average of at least B at all times.

6.1.2     Duration   Students in Educational Psychology have four years to complete the thesis-based
          M.Ed. degree and six years to complete the course-based M.Ed. degree.   In exceptional cases, a student may apply in writing to the Department Chair or
          Associate Chair for a one-year extension. The student’s advisor or supervisor, and
          the Department Chair or Associate Chair must approve this request, before it is
          forwarded to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research for a decision. NB:
          Although FGSR may grant a one-year extension, additional extensions are not
          forthcoming and are actively discouraged.

6.1.3     Advanced Credit   Students may be given a maximum of one full or two half courses (six credits) of
          advanced standing.   Advanced credit is only given for courses that have not been previously used toward
          a degree or diploma or as a basis for admission into a program. Courses previously
          completed are not required to be repeated. An approved option may be required to be

6.1.4     Changing Areas

          A student who wishes to change Department Areas must consult with the Graduate
          Coordinator and will be required to submit an application to the Department.

6.1.5     Registration in Thesis

          Students in thesis-based Master’s programs must register in Thesis during the term in
          which the thesis and accompanying evidence of program completion are submitted to

          Students who have been registered full time in their graduate program for a minimum
          of one year (normally two Fall and/or Winter terms) and have been assessed at least
          18 units of fee index in each of those terms will be eligible for a Reduced Thesis-Only
          Fee (Thesis 919) in subsequent years.
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                              9

6.1.6     Oral Exams

          The minimum examining committee for the M.Ed. thesis oral consists of three
          members, one of whom must be from a Department or discipline other than
          Educational Psychology.

6.2       Ph.D. Degree

6.2.1     Academic Advisor   Upon admission, Academic Advisors are appointed by the Area Co-ordinator for up to
          one year. The Academic Advisor works with the student to develop a graduate
          program.   On occasion, the Graduate Admissions Committee may make suggestions or
          recommendations. If a change in Academic Advisor becomes desirable or necessary
          (sabbatical, illness, change of student interest, etc.) the student must notify the
          Department’s Graduate Records Office immediately.

6.2.2     Thesis Supervisor   After one year, a three-person committee, including the Thesis Supervisor must
          supervise the remainder of the student’s program.   The Department’s Graduate Records Office must be notified in writing of any
          Supervisory Committee changes.   Supervisory Committee members must be tenured academic staff or persons in
          positions leading to tenure.   Extra persons (such as professors emeriti, lecturers, non-tenured professors from
          another Department) may be added as additional members.   Students are required to meet with their Supervisory Committee members at least
          once each year. The Record of Supervisory Committee form must be signed by the
          Supervisory Committee members and returned to the Graduate Records Secretary to
          be placed in the student’s file.

6.2.3     Duration

          Students in Educational Psychology have six years to complete the Ph.D. degree.

6.2.4     Changing Areas   A student who wishes to change Department Areas must consult with the Graduate
          Coordinator and will be required to submit an application to the Department.

6.2.5     Registration for Thesis Only
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                              10

          Normally, when a student is registered for Thesis Only, he or she is expected to have
          a Thesis Proposal on file at the end of term, approved by the Thesis Supervisor.
          Students who have been registered full-time in their graduate program for a minimum
          of four Fall or Winter terms and have been assessed at least 18 units of fee index in
          each of those terms will be eligible for a Reduced Thesis-Only Fee (Thesis 919) in
          subsequent years.

6.2.6     Written Comprehensive Examination

          (Please see each Area requirements for the written Comprehensive Examination)

6.2.7     Candidacy   A candidacy examination is an oral examination conducted by the Supervisory
          Committee outlined in 6.2.2 and two other full-time faculty members, one of whom
          must be from a department other than Educational Psychology.   Students must demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Examining Committee that they
          possess a) an adequate knowledge of the discipline and of the subject matter relevant
          to the thesis, and b) the ability to pursue and complete original research at the
          advanced level. Only minor attention should be given to the work done on the thesis
          proposal.   The candidacy examination is normally held within two years of commencement of
          the program and at a time when all or nearly all of the course work is completed.   The candidacy examination must be held at least six months before the final oral
          thesis examination.   The Department of Educational Psychology may make additional requirements for
          candidacy in addition to the oral examination.   The Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research requires at least three weeks notice of
          the scheduling of a candidacy examination.

6.2.8     Thesis Oral   The thesis oral can be scheduled only after the thesis has been completed and
          approved in writing by each member of the Supervisory Committee described in 6.2.2.   The Examining Committee consists of the three members named in 6.2.2, plus two
          other members, one of whom must be from a department or discipline other than that
          in which the candidate is working. In addition, one member must be an External
          Examiner/Reader nominated by the Department and approved and invited by the
          Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research. If desired, other members
          can be added.   The final oral examination is based largely on the thesis.
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                                  11   If the final oral examination is adjourned, or if revisions of the thesis are required, the
          student has a maximum of six months before another examination or the acceptable
          thesis are completed.


7.1       All faculty and students in the Department of Educational Psychology are required to
          follow the specific procedures for observing the University of Alberta Ethical
          Guidelines for Research Involving Human Participants. Any member in the
          Department of Educational Psychology who is conducting research with human
          participants must complete an ethics application online. http://hero.ualberta.ca

7.2       The statutory member for the 2009-2010 academic year is Dr. Derek Truscott (492-
          1161 or derek.truscott@ualberta.ca). The statutory member is solely responsible for
          the initial review of all applications. The statutory member may consult with the
          alternate member for the Department, when necessary, in an advisory capacity.
          Applications that exceed minimum risk are reviewed by the Faculty of Education
          Research Ethics Board.

7.3       In addition to the University ethics approval, any research that is conducted in other
          agencies often requires the approval of that agency as well. Students who anticipate
          doing research in an outside agency (e.g. hospitals, schools, etc.) should arrange with
          their supervisors to contact the appropriate person at that agency to determine what
          additional ethics approval, if any, is required. Students who anticipate doing research
          in schools within the Edmonton Public, Edmonton Catholic, Elk Island Public, and
          St Albert Protestant School Districts must submit a Cooperative Activities Program
          (CAP) application to the Research Ethics Board. CAP is an administrative network
          designed to coordinate and facilitate university-initiated research projects seeking the
          involvement of individuals in these school jurisdictions.


8.1       Academic Grievances and Appeals

8.1.1     Student grievances of an academic nature may arise. Graduate students are advised
          first to approach the instructor or supervisor concerned; in most cases, this individual
          can provide a satisfactory explanation. If the matter is not resolved, students are
          advised to see the Graduate Coordinator. Refer also to section 8 "Dealing with
          Problems in Supervision" of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research’s
          Graduate Program Manual.

8.1.2     Departmental appeal procedures should be followed before moving the matter to the
          FGSR level.

8.2       University Policies for Dealing with Difficult Issues

8.2.1     Departments may be required to deal with difficult issues such as student plagiarism,
          cheating, harassment, disruption of classes, misuse of property or computer facilities,
          apprehended danger, threatening or violent conduct, or misconduct in research and
          scholarship. Please see the Code of Student Behaviour
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                             12

         (http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/gfcpolicymanual/content.cfm?ID_page=37633). It is
         important that these issues be managed carefully. In the case where graduate
         students are involved with the instruction of students who may have violated the Code
         of Student Behaviour, it is advisable to consult the suggestion sheet for contending
         with such situatons:

8.2.2    The University has developed procedures for dealing with many of these
         circumstances. Where the incident involves a graduate student, the FGSR
         recommends that departments consult with one of the Associate Deans of the FGSR
         before taking any action, since the FGSR has experience in dealing with issues of this
         nature. Brief descriptions of the policies are outlined below but the source documents
         should be reviewed. See the G.F.C. Manual website

         •        Code of Applicant Behavior, G.F.C. Policy Manual, section 11
         •        Code of Student Behavior, University of Alberta Calendar, Section 26.
         •        Discrimination and Harassment Policy and Procedures, G.F.C. Policy
                  Manual, section 44
         •        Protocol for Urgent Cases of Disruptive, Threatening or Violent Behavior,
                  G.F.C. Policy Manual, section 91
         •        Practicum Placements, Professional Practice and the Public Interest, G.F.C.
                  Policy Manual, section 87
         •        Research and Scholarship Integrity Policy, G.F.C. Policy Manual, section


9.1     Research and Teaching Assistantships

9.1.1    Students are requested to complete an Application for Graduate Assistantships in the
         Spring (no later than June 1). On this form, you are asked to indicate your interests,
         previous assistantships, experience, and whether or not you would like to work with a
         particular professor or research project. Most students indicate two or three
         preferences while others indicate no preference. Faculty are asked to provide written
         requests for Research Assistants. Faculty members specify the particular research
         project(s), the skills and abilities that a Research Assistant should possess, and the
         benefits to the students. At this juncture, some professors also indicate preferences
         for particular Research/Teaching Assistants. Students and professors occasionally
         indicate that they would prefer not to work with a particular individual.

9.1.2    During the summer, the Chair, Associate Chair, and Secretary to the Chair meet to
         discuss RA/TA assignments. At that time consideration is given to:

         •        Student requests
         •        Faculty requests
         •        Department needs

9.1.3    If a student requests an assignment and a professor requests the same assignment,
         these matches are made. Every effort is made to satisfy the requests of students and
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                               13

         professors. Department needs include commitments to the courses that need to be
         covered in terms of TA assignments. Following this process, professors who still
         require RAs or TAs are asked to make a selection from the students who have not
         already been assigned.

9.1.4    Unfortunately, we are not able to provide financial assistance to all graduate students
         requesting assistance. We are also not always able to provide the number of
         assistantship hours that a student might prefer. We do try to do our best within the
         constraints of the Assistantship funding available.

9.1.5    Graduate students who are assigned as “Principal Instructors” for a course are
         strongly encouraged to obtain a copy of the “Information for Instructors” handbook,
         found in the General Office (6-102), for detailed information regarding how to create,
         manage, and facilitate the successful teaching of a university-level course.
         Additionally, you are encouraged to contact the co-ordinator for the particular course
         you are teaching (i.e., named on your “Offer of Graduate Teaching Assistantship”
         form) at any time and throughout the year with any questions you may have regarding
         teaching your university-level course. The co-ordinator can act as a “mentor” in this
         regard and become quite invaluable to you as the year progresses.

9.2     FGSR Administered Awards

         There are numerous awards, scholarships, and fellowships administered through the
         Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR). Also check the awards and
         funding page on the FGSR website
         (http://www.gradstudies.ualberta.ca/awardsfunding/). Deadlines and procedures for
         FGSR administered awards are advertised widely and clearly in the Department of
         Educational Psychology. For information on University-administered awards and
         awards from outside agencies refer to
         http://www.gradstudies.ualberta.ca/awardsfunding/ or the Ed. Psych. Specialized
         awards and scholarships webpage for a listing of specialized awards and application

9.3     Graduate Student Research Travel Funds

9.3.1   The Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research invites applications for travel grants
        funded by two separate endowments, the Mary Louise Imrie Graduate Student Award,
        Profiling Alberta’s Graduate Student Award, and the J. Gordin Kaplan Graduate Student
        Award. The value of these awards is between $200 - $1500. Application forms are
        available from FGSR.

9.3.2   The Faculty of Education invites applications for its Myer Horowitz Graduate Student
        Travel Award. The value of this award is up to $500 depending on destination.
        Application forms are available from the Office of the Dean of Education (845
        Education) or
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                                 14

9.3.3   The Department of Educational Psychology invites applications for its Graduate Student
        Travel Fund. Ten, $100 awards are available each year. Applications are available

9.3.4   The Graduate Students' Association offers a limited number of Professional
        Development Grants per year to students for academic development (including
        research trips, attending courses out of Edmonton, presenting at a conference, etc.)
        with a value up to $200. Application forms are available at the GSA office (Killam
        Centre for Advanced Studies, 2-29 Triffo Hall).


10.1    International Students

The University of Alberta is committed to helping international students adjust to life in Canada,
accomplish their academic objectives, and make their knowledge and experiences available to
the rest of the campus population and to each other. Internationalising the University of Alberta
through international student participation is one of the University's initiatives. Through services
and programs the International Centre strives to realise this objective and works to ensure all
foreign students are active members of a dynamic and supportive community. Visit:

10.2    Housing

If you are looking for housing in Edmonton, you can live in one of the campus residences
(family housing is also available) or find something off campus. For information about
residence living, contact the Ancillary Services (www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/residences) by
phone: (780) 492-4281 or email: housing@ualberta.ca

10.3    Parking

There is no free parking on campus between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m., seven days a week. Sales of
parking spots for the Winter session usually begin sometime in April. Parking permits are in
high demand on campus and are sold to students on a first-come, first-serve basis. DO NOT
wait until September to get a parking permit. The cost ranges from about $72 to $117 per
month depending on the location of the parking spot, but you must pay for the whole academic
year upfront. Bring your vehicle registration, driver’s license, student ID or letter of acceptance.
For more information, phone Parking Services at (780) 492-7275, email them at
parking.services@ualberta.ca or visit their website at http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/parking/
Their office is located at 1-051 Lister Centre.

10.4    Public Transit

For those students travelling by public transportation, the transit system in Edmonton consists
primarily of the bus or the LRT (Light Rail Transit, i.e., subway system). The University is
participating in a Universal Transit Pass (U-Pass) transit fare program where students enrolled
in full-time studies pay a mandatory U-Pass fee per term. The U-Pass will give students
unlimited access to regular Edmonton Transit, St. Albert and Strathcona County Transit
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                                  15

services for fall and winter academic terms. The University of Alberta ONEcard will serve as
the student U-Pass. Students who have been assessed the U-Pass fee for the fall 2009 term
will be eligible to obtain a U-Pass validation sticker for their ONEcard. Validation stickers will be
available after the registration confirmation of deposit deadline (usually the third week of
August). Returning students will be able to obtain their stickers (tentatively) at Students’ Union
InfoLink Centers across campus. New students will have the sticker applied at the time their
ONEcard is made during New Student Orientation.

10.5   Weather

If you are from out of town, perhaps you have heard rumours about the weather in Edmonton –
the sunny skies of summer and the bitter coldness (still sunny skies) of winter. Well, they are all
true. Budget ahead for winter clothing, block heater, etc. Winter temperatures average about
minus 15 degrees Celsius, but may dip down to minus 30 degrees on occasion. The air is very
dry, so if you are accustomed to moisture, then you may wish to invest in a humidifier. The
positive impact of the arid climate is that it reduces the impact of the cold temperatures.

10.6   The ONEcard (student ID/library card)

If you are new to the U of A, you will need to get a ONEcard student ID card. Do so by bringing
photo ID to the Van Vliet Centre (a.k.a. the Butterdome) sometime in the first or second week
of September (check the U of A calendar for the exact dates). ONEcards are also available at
the ONEcard office, B-12 Cameron Library. The ONEcard also serves as your library card, a
debit card for photocopying and other purchases, and, in some cases, a security access card.
See also www.onecard.ualberta.ca

10.7   Keys/Pass Cards

Depending on your situation, you may require office keys, or keys to the graduate resource
room (to access mail box, computers, printer). See Joyce Maycher in the General Office (6-
102) to pick up those keys. There is a $5.00 non-refundable payment required for each key.
If you require building access, your ONEcard must be encoded. See Joyce in the General
Office (6-102) for appropriate form.

Graduate students are entitled to have access to the two AICT computer labs on the 3rd floor
of Education North. You must provide an authorizing form (available from Joyce Maycher in
the General Office) signed by your academic advisor confirming that you are an Ed Psych
student to Jackie Verkland in the Division of Technology in Education in room 3-105 Ed North.
Your ONEcard will then be encoded so that it can be used to swipe a panel on the lab door and
allow access.

10.8   Anti-Viral Software Support from AICT (FREE)

AICT provides anti-viral software for free. Please visit the following website for information and
to download the software: http://www.ualberta.ca/AICT/VIRUS or call 492-9400.

10.9   Photocopying

Photocopy machines are located in the basement of Coutts Library and in the basement of the
Education Building at the Instructional Resource Services (B-111). ONEcards are typically
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                                16

used with these copiers. Photocopiers are located in every library and charge $.15 per copy.
While a few take coins, most of them use the ONEcard debit system. All libraries thus have
machines that allow you to put money on your ONEcard.

10.10 University Teaching Program

University Teaching Services provides formal teaching improvement programs and orientations
for graduate teaching assistants. Check out www.ualberta.ca/~uts. The primary objective of the
University Teaching Program is to provide opportunities for graduate students to develop an
ethical, philosophical, and practical basis for careers in post-secondary teaching and to record
this on their transcripts. The program is voluntary and is normally available to full-time master’s
or doctoral students in a participating department. The Department of Educational Psychology
is a participating department. There are no additional fees for the program.

The program will be offered in the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research by participating
departments and facilitated by University Teaching Services. The department is able to provide
you with a Teaching Record Book where completion of the various elements of the program
may be recorded.

The program is directed primarily to students who are teaching assistants and to others who
have opportunities for regular teaching practice and systematic evaluation such as holders of
University of Alberta and FS Chia PhD Scholarships. Graduate students who are pursuing
other than academic careers may also find aspects of the program advantageous in their
personal and professional development.

The program will normally be completed over a period of two years while the student is
registered in a graduate program at the University of Alberta. Students’ professional
development will be fostered through exposure to a full spectrum of teaching experiences and
maintaining a record of these.

10.11 E-mail – Your Campus Computing ID

All University of Alberta students are issued a Campus Computing ID and Password when they
register. AICT automatically e-mails a CCID and password to applicants within 2 business
days of submitting an online application for admission. Applicants who submit hard copy
applications for admission will have a CCID and password e-mailed to them within 2 business
days of the application being entered on to the University's student administration system.

Once your Campus Computing ID (CCID) is activated by changing your temporary password,
you can send and receive emails using your University of Alberta email account via
https://webmail.ualberta.ca or an email client (ie. Outlook). Your email address is:

10.12 Bookstore

Textbooks are available on the lower level of the main University Bookstore located in SUB
(Students’ Union Building). Visit www.bookstore.ualberta.ca or telephone (780) 492-4215. The
Educational Psychology section is on the wall closest to the Returns desk. Look for the code
“EDPY.” The best times to buy your books are first thing in the morning or just before closing.
Check for extended hours early in the term.
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                             17

10.13 The GSA Handbook

The Graduate Students’ Association puts out an excellent handbook for graduate students
every year. It will tell you about the various services that are available to you FOR FREE
(assuming you have paid your fees), such as the University Health Centre, Campus
Recreation, the Student Financial Aid and Information Centre, and the Safewalk program. The
handbook also provides valuable information such as the procedures for student complaints
and appeals. The GSA office is located in the Killam centre for Advanced Studies, 1-37 Triffo
Hall on the East side of the Power Plant and can be contacted by phone: (780) 492-2175 or
email: gsa@ualberta.ca . The Educational Psychology Graduate Student Council strongly
recommends this handbook to all new and continuing graduate students. You can also visit
their website at: http://www.gsa.ualberta.ca/

10.14 GSA Health & Dental Plan

The GSA has a Health & Dental Plan, which is mandatory for all full time on campus and off
campus graduate students for a fee. You can enrol separately in Health coverage for a
reduced fee or Dental coverage also for a reduced fee if you have alternative coverage. You
have the option to include family members in the coverage. If you wish to opt out of this plan,
you must fill out a form providing proof of comparable coverage elsewhere. If you intend to opt
family members in or to opt out of coverage, the appropriate forms must be submitted between
August 28-September 18, 2009. Information and forms are available from the service provider
at www.studentcare.net Check the GSA Handbook for further information or contact the GSA
at 492-2175.

10.15 Security on Campus

The Students' Union Safewalk Service provides a safe and reliable alternative to walking alone
at night on and around campus. Safewalk is the students' answer to the reality of our society,
offering everyone the opportunity to take an active role in making our campus a safer place
more conducive to learning. The service is free of charge and is available to any member of the
university community - undergrads, graduate students, staff, and faculty. They exist so that
accessibility to the University of Alberta campus and surrounding areas is never compromised
for those who do not want to walk alone after dark. Visit: http://www.su.ualberta.ca/safewalk/
Telephone: 492-5563. Closed Sundays, Holidays and Long Weekends. If you require a walk
outside their hours, contact "Campus Security" at 492-5050. If you reach Safewalk's voice mail
after hours, you can be forwarded to Campus Security automatically by pressing zero (0)
during the outgoing message.

10.16 Health Services

Health Centre: Room 2-200 Students' Union Bldg. (2nd floor SUB), Tel: 780-492-2612, Fax:

Clinic Hours:
Winter hours (Sept - April) 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays.
Summer hours (May-Aug) 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. weekdays.

Pharmacy Hours (located in the Bookstore on the main floor of SUB):
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                                 18

Winter hours (Sept. - April) 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. weekdays.
Summer hours (May - Aug) 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays

10.17 Specialized Support and Disability Services

Students with physical and/or sensory disabilities, chronic health problems, or learning
disabilities who are considering or currently attending the University of Alberta are invited to
contact Specialized Support and Disability Services (SSDS). This Office co-ordinates the
efforts of various University departments and off-campus agencies in meeting students' special
needs and provides support services which help to equalise educational opportunities for them.
Students may call or make an appointment to find out about admission requirements, funding
options, disability or health related concerns and support services available. 2-800 Students'
Union Building, Phone: (780) 492-3381, TTY: (780) 492-7269, Fax: (780) 492-6701.

10.18 Campus Recreation

Visit http://www.campusrec.ualberta.ca/ for information on recreation on campus or
http://www.physedandrec.ualberta.ca/flc.cfm to check out the campus fitness centre. Use of
these facilities are free for students (you paid a Campus Recreation Enhancement Fund Fee
with your tuition).

10.19 Aboriginal Student Services Centre

Visit http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/aboriginalservices/index.cfm or 2-400 Students' Union
Building. The mandate of Aboriginal Student Services Centre is to enrich the cultural and
intellectual diversity of the University through the increased participation of Aboriginal Students,
and to actively promote the access, participation and success of Aboriginal Students in all
Faculties. Phone: (780) 492-5677, Fax: (780) 492-1674.

10.20 University of Alberta Library www.library.ualberta.ca

The University of Alberta Library is Canada's second-largest research library collection, ranking
first in per capita volumes per student.

The library you will probably use the most is the Herbert T. Coutts (Education/Physical
Education) Library located in the East Wing, Education South. It serves the Faculty of
Education with collections of books, reference materials, databases and journals for all areas
including counselling, school and educational psychology, TESL, assessment, lifespan
development, special education.

Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS-Rutherford) and the Scott Health Sciences
Libraries collect in related areas, so look beyond the Coutts Library. These areas could
include social work, social psychology, aging, rehabilitation, pharmacology, neuropsychology,
addictions, sexuality, etc.

BARD: For older or historical works, the catalogue listing may indicate that the item is located
in BARD. This is an acronym for the Book and Record Depository, and is also the home of the
University of Alberta Archives. With the exception of archival materials, items stored at BARD
may be requested and delivered to any library on campus. To access the archives, it will be
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                                 19

necessary to visit BARD, which is located at 8170 – 50th Street, Edmonton, AB, near the east
end of the city, just north of the Sherwood Park Freeway.

NEOS Catalogue – The library online catalogue includes many libraries (U of A, several
central Alberta colleges, all Edmonton hospital libraries, and provincial government libraries).
You can use all these different library collections with your ONEcad

Databases – There are over 600 databases available for free, many with full text articles. Most
provide free e-mailing and downloading of search research results. Printing is 12 cents/page.

My Account - on the library’s web page http://www.library.ualberta.ca/myaccount/ to view a
list of checked out material, renew books, monitor and cancel holds, change your PIN number
and review fines.

Graduate students have borrowing periods of one academic term (4 months).

ONECard - multipurpose identification, library and debit card. Use it to borrow materials from
the library, renew books online, pay for university services such as photocopying, and use
athletic facilities.

Campus Computing ID - often referred to as a CCID, this computing ID allows you to use
computing labs on campus, and for accessing online journals, databases and web resources
from university computers and from home.

Liaison Librarian - there is a librarian in the Coutts Library who has responsibility for collection
development, liaison, consulting and teaching for students and faculty in the Department of
Educational Psychology. Feel free to contact her for assistance using the library or for
research guidance. Her name is Jan Colter. Phone 492-1464 or email Jan at

As the liaison librarian for Educational Psychology, Jan Colter:
- sits on Department Council
- keeps track of research and course requirements for our Department
- purchases appropriate resources, recommended by the Department
- helps students and faculty find and use the library’s resources
- graduate student research consultation

Education page at the Library website
http://www.library.ualberta.ca/subject/education/index.cfm has a comprehensive guide to
Educational Psychology subject areas to assist you with your research. At the Education page
you can click on the focus links to Educational Psychology, Instructional Technology, Special
Education or TESL.

10.21 Food

The Education Building cafeteria is conveniently located on the main floor in the connecting
hallway between the North and South buildings. SUB and HUB Mall offers the most variety, if
you don’t mind a short walk.
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                               20


11.1   Emma Collins Graduate Student Resource Room (EDN6-143)

The Emma Collins Graduate Student Resource room is located on the 6th floor of Education
North (EDN6-143). In it are computers and a ONEcard laser printer for student use as well as
student mailboxes and bulletin boards containing the latest news on funding, job postings,
social events, research opportunities, seminars, etc. A free telephone area is also provided
(dial 9 to get an outside line).

11.2   Mailboxes

Mailboxes in the graduate student computer room are automatically provided for full-time
students. Part-time students may be allotted a mailbox upon request. Graduate student
correspondence can be picked up in the computer room (EDN6-143) between the hours of
8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on weekdays. A key is required for after hours usage (see Joyce
Maycher). Mailboxes are organized in alphabetical order according to students’ last names.
Mailboxes are typically not set up until the 3rd week of September – until then, you may pick up
any mail from the main Department Office.

11.3   Office Space/Lockers

Applications are to be picked up after orientation on September 1, 2009

11.4   Student Area

In the open areas in 6-141 and 6-145, there are study desks, a meeting table, and a meeting
area for student use. Also available is a microwave oven and a coin-operated coffee machine.

11.5   Keeping Informed – Listservs to join

A number of listservs (email mailing lists) are provided to help keep you informed in your period
of study at the University of Alberta. Some general listservs of importance to all graduate
students in our department are described below. Check the supplemental guide for your area
for area-specific listservs to join. It is strongly recommended that you join the following three
listservs to help keep you up to date on department news and events as well as Faculty and
campus news.

The edpygrad listserv is intended to provide all graduate students within the Department of
Educational Psychology with relevant and timely information about issues of specific interest to
graduate students. You will be automatically subscribed to the list but are free to unsubscribe
at any time if you wish. News from this list will keep you up to date on Department news and
events and facilitate communication among Educational Psychology graduate students.

There is also a listserv for grad students in all the departments in the Faculty of Education. To
join, go to http://www.mailman.srv.ualberta.ca/mailman/listinfo/edgrad and complete the
subscribing form.
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                               21

Last, but not least, the University GSA sends out a newsletter via email. To add yourself to
their mailing list, send a message to gsa@ualberta.ca and ask them to add your email address
to their list.

Each of these mailing lists contains important information on funding and other news. No
information on one mailing list will be re-posted to the other two to avoid cross posting, so we
urge you to join all three. The volume of email for these mailing lists is not heavy.

11.6   Computing Resources

Windows and MAC computers are available in the Computer Lab located on the third floor, and
may be used when classes are not being held. Access to the microcomputer lab after hours
requires a specially encoded ONEcard (see Joyce Maycher for an access application).

A limited number of computers as well as a ONEcard laser printer are available for Educational
Psychology graduate students use in the Emma Collins Graduate Student Resource Room

More information on the various computer labs accessible on campus and the types of
software available can be found at: http://www.ualberta.ca/AICT/labs/

Most areas in the Education North and South buildings provide wireless connectivity. The
connectivity will vary, depending on your location, the amount of access points and number of
users connected.

11.7   Secretarial Support

The Department of Educational Psychology has allocated secretarial services in the General
Office (Room 6-102) for faculty members. Because of secretarial work load and time
constraints, these services do not extend to graduate students or research assistants. If a
graduate student or research assistant is working on a project with a faculty member, any
typing or photocopying to be done for such a project should be submitted through the faculty
member. Photocopying that exceeds 100 pages should be submitted to the secretaries
in the General Office to be sent to McCallum Printing Services. Please allow 2 working

11.8   Test Library

The Department of Educational Psychology maintains a Test Library. The Test Library
contains recent test and references to tests and testing in the program areas of the Department
and is available to students registered in our graduate programs. The Test Library is located in
the Education Clinic, EDN 1-135.


12.1   Instructional Resource Services (IRS)

For more information on IRS, you may find their website at the following link:
http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/dte/. Then click on “Instructional Resource Services.”
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                                 22

IRS responds to requests for all audio-visual, television and computer equipment, as well as for
learning resources contained in the Faculty of Education’s professional collection. The IRS
provides resources (equipment, materials, instruction and consultation) for the production of
curriculum materials by students and staff in the Faculty of Education. Examples include:
transparencies; audio recorders; games; posters; displays; print materials; computerised
presentations. IRS is located in room B-111 in the basement of Education North. You may also
contact them by phoning 492-3993 or 492-5433.

A wide variety of materials relevant to the production of teaching materials as well as some
supplies required for courses in the Faculty of Education are sold on a cost-recovery basis,
while equipment and sundry supplies are available without charge. A price list is available in
the IRS.

Walkup photocopying services include enlargements, reductions, duplexing and collating of 8½
x 11 (letter), 8½ x 14 (legal) and 11 x 17 (tabloid). Full colour photocopying, including full
colour printing at 400 dpi from computer files, may be accessed by the wider campus
community. Output is suitable for thesis preparation.

Macintosh and Windows computers, with laser-quality printing facilities, are available in a
productivity environment that includes word-processing, graphics, spreadsheets and desktop

12.1.1 Hours of Operation

Service hours vary throughout the year. During Fall and Winter sessions the hours of operation

               Monday to Friday 7:30 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
               Weekends & Holidays - Closed

During Intersession as well as during Spring and Summer sessions, the hours of operation are:

               Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
               Weekends & Holidays - Closed

12.1.2 Service Priorities

See the IRS webpage for the latest information about order of priority for services:
http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/dte/irs.cfm Hardware Distribution

The hardware inventory includes:

Projectors - LCD video/data
16mm, 35mm slide, filmstrip, overhead, and Audio -      cassette recorders, transcribers,
             portable stereos, and larger stereo components

Video        - digital video cameras, 1/2" VHS recorders, DVD players, video laser disk
               players, video monitors, camcorders, tripods, etc.
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                                  23

Computers and related resources for classroom presentation support.

Overhead projectors and screens are permanently located in most teaching spaces; additional
projectors are available from inventory.

Any resource may be booked either in person, by telephone, fax, campus mail, or via email at
IRS@ualberta.ca only. Bookings left on voice mail will not be accepted or honoured.

Orders will be delivered and retrieved for teaching staff only under the conditions outlined on
the Service Priorities page. Students must pick up and return their own orders.

In addition, an overhead projector has been located in most teaching areas while courses are
in session. If an overhead projector is missing from a room that is supposed to have one,
Equipment Distribution section at 23993 and an overhead projector will be delivered to that

In the event of equipment breakdown, such as burned out projection lamps, the staff in
Equipment Distribution may be able to provide on-the-spot assistance. Report any problems to
the Instructional Resource Services staff at 23993. Loan Period

Long term requirements should be funded by departments or granting agencies; special
requests will be considered by the Manager of IRS, taking into account resource availability
and the following service priorities:

1. Class periods - instructional support for teaching sessions within the Education Centre.

2. One to seven days - support for seminars and conferences. Resources (films, videotape)
   from outside sources. Renewable should availability and service priorities permit.

3. Fourteen days - some resources, transcribers, audio recorders, video camcorders.
   Renewable should availability and service priorities permit.

4. Longer terms will be considered upon request to the Manager of IRS, or the Director of
   DTE. Out-of-Building or Off-Campus Use of Equipment

Faculty of Education operations at Rutherford South will be supported as much as possible
according to DTE’s Service Priorities. Term loans will be arranged where possible.

For information on DTE’s and the University of Alberta’s policies on the use of equipment off-
campus, please access our Off-Campus Use of Faculty of Education Equipment page.
The Instructional Resource Services section is located in room B-111 in the basement of
Education North. For further information, contact any of our staff at 492-3993.
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                                  24 Suspension of User Privileges

The normal loan period for a student booking equipment is up to two weeks. If you require the
equipment for longer, you can rebook only once for a further two weeks. After that time, the
items will have to be returned or you will be unable to borrow any other equipment or materials.

In the case of faculty members, short term loans are also be renewable for two weeks. There
will, however, be a further two week “grace period” before a suspension of privileges occurs.

12.1.4 Computing Services

IRS operates a computer facility consisting of Windows and Macintosh computers, networked
to both a colour and black-and-white laser printer; as well as the MicroSoft Office Suite of
software applications. This facility is available to Education students and staff on a first-come,
first-served basis.

Internet service is also available through this facility. For information on accessing this service,
please click on the Network Authentication link at the right.

IRS lab computers may not be booked or reserved; workstations abandoned for 20 minutes or
more will be cleared for other users.

The Instructional Resource Services section is located in room B-111 in the basement of
Education North. For further information, contact any of our staff at 492-3993.

12.1.5 Learning Resources Distribution

Learning resources are obtained for instructional use, student teaching and previewing from
local learning resource libraries. Films owned by the Faculty of Education are now stored with
the University Film and Videotape Library located in 1-01 Rutherford Library South.

Videotapes, videodiscs, CD’s, and slide/tape sets produced or purchased by the Division of
Technology in Education are stored in the Learning Resources Library in B-111 Education
North. These programs are available through IRS in support of instruction, practica, and
research within the Faculty of Education. An on-line catalog is available for preview at
Instructional Resource Services, room B-111 Education North.

It is the policy of the Division of Technology in Education that dubs (copies) of all programs
produced by the Faculty of Education are catalogued and stored in the Learning Resource
Library and are available for use in faculty programs and to all other bona fide educational
institutions, organizations, or individuals to assist them in the achievement of purposes similar
to those for which the recordings were intended, unless otherwise specified at the time of
production. Other Lending Libraries

IRS Distribution can also arrange for the loan of learning resources from the University Film
and Videotape Library, at no charge to borrowers. Print catalogues are available in B-111
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                                   25

Education North. A minimum of 2 working days notice is required to have the resources
delivered to B-111. There is a maximum one week loan period on resources from the
University Film and Videotape Library.

12.1.6 Other Services

IRS maintains two user-operable video duplicating(dubbing)/editing suites. Audio cassette
duplication is available though a self-serve unit. As well, a bulk eraser is available in B-111
Education North for erasing all magnetic media.

Video dubbing (copying) from 3/4 inch U-Matic videotape and ½ inch VHS videotape to ½ inch
VHS videotape is available to Education faculty members. It is the requester's responsibility to
provide written proof of permission to copy.

Copies of programs may be made under the following conditions:

      •   Audiotape
          Clients are encouraged to make their own audiotape copies. With the permanent
          installation of a high-speed audiotape duplicator in B-111, this simple procedure is
          available free of charge to all faculty members and Education students. An illustrated
          step-by-step poster has been provided to facilitate this process.
      •   Videotape
          A copy of those resources for which DTE holds copyright clearance or duplication
          licenses will be made upon request. This service is provided free of charge to the
          University community, if the client provides the necessary blank tape(s).

For further information, please contact IRS at 492-3993.


13.1      Educational Psychology Graduate Student Council

The objectives of the Educational Psychology Graduate Student Council are to serve the
Educational Psychology Graduate Students in the following ways:

•     Provide representation within our Department and the University via committees and
•     Promote intellectual, cultural, social, and recreational activities
•     Disseminate information on funding, seminars, employment and research opportunities,
      and other news and services via bulletin boards, email mailing lists, and our webpage for
      efficient communication within our department

The following are representative positions within the Educational Psychology Graduate Student

•     Presidents
•     Social Committee representatives
•     Program Area representatives
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Handbook                                             26

•     Graduate Students' Association representatives
•     Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research representative
•     Graduate Admissions and Admissions Policy Committee representative
•     Psychologists Association of Alberta Liaison
•     Representatives on various Faculty of Education Committees

Graduate students are strongly encouraged to participate on the council for at least one year
during their residency. Faculty are not involved in determining council membership. Visit the
Council webpage, located off the Department webpage, to find out who the representatives are
for the current year. If you are interested in becoming involved with the Council, please
contact either of the current Council Presidents.

13.2     Department and Area Meetings

Meetings are held throughout the year to discuss and make decisions regarding various issues
associated with the Department and its programs. Student representatives from the
Educational Psychology Graduate Student Council attend meetings to serve as liaisons
between the program faculty and students. Meetings are also held between each area
representative and the students in that area to discuss any ideas or concerns. Student input,
however, is welcome at any time.

13.3     Faculty Council

Faculty Council meetings are held throughout the year to make decisions regarding various
issues associated with the Department. The Presidents of the Educational Psychology
Graduate Student Council attend the Faculty Council meetings and serve as liaisons between
the program faculty and students.


Students interested in becoming Registered Psychologists in the Province of Alberta should
contact the College of Alberta Psychologists. Visit their website at http://www.cap.ab.ca


Information about faculty and honorary professors, administrative and support staff,
adjunct professors, post-doctoral fellows, and professors emeriti can be found in this
section of the department’s website: